What's new

Penhaligon LP#9 For Men

I am so sad that this is out of production. I just got my first bottle and I love it. It is not sweet on my skin and it has staying power. I wear it at home after a good shower and shave and it just sets the tone for the evening.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Gents,

This one is not for me. While it does have a quick sexy appeal, it's sweet and clove smell is overwhelming for me. It almost smells like something from our Indian kitchen.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
this scent is now out of production.
I recently visited Penhaligon's on Madison Ave in New York. After sampling just about every scent in the place, I walked out with a bottle of LP:9. It smells like sex. I don't know how else to describe it. It just seems like something to wear when you want to seduce someone. The lady at the shop told me they were discontinuing the scent. I think it's a shame, as it's quite nice.
On the box:
Top note: Bergamot
Middle note: Jasmine
Base notes: Patchouli & Musk
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
The first time that I smelled this, I immediately wrote it off as being too common and too much like the dreaded Draakar Noir odor that seemed to be everywhere in the 1980's.

However, after a second smell and a scent card that I smelled throughout the day, I decided to give this scent a wear.

I ended up purchasing a bottle of it.

Could it be considered a "dressy" or a "winter" scent? Yes. I think that it fits this description.

What makes this scent stand out is its staying power (all day and night, actually) and the heavy overtures of cloves (and cinnamon to a lesser extend) which gives it a sophicated aroma. This scent will morph throughout the day, so don't take the initial scent as the longstanding overture.

For the winter, I can envision myself wearing this daily. It is a "warm" scent, but not necessarily woody, nor earthly. If you have ever taken a whiff of clove spices, you will get a rough idea of the character of this scent.

Of all of the Penhaligon's scents, I definitely don't recommend purchasing this one blind. I did, but I consider that I got lucky with my blind purchase. The LP #9 is not the type of scent, though, that has a universal appeal.

-joedy
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
As a penhaligonophile (try to say that three times with a mouth full of fries) I of course am a fan of this cologne - but as previously stated it is not a daily wear... only for suit and tie events - colder/winter months. I've got quite a few penhaligons scents.... and this was the only one I have gotten rid of. Don't get me wrong - I like the stuff, but it simply demands to be used only on "special" occasions, and I found myself reaching for *gasp* other colognes (BB 1818, Mr. Taylors, Knize Ten, Trumper Eucris, floris santal) when special occasions would present themselves, so I never really used the stuff and couldn't justify keeping it around. An outstanding cologne.... I just couldn't find the right times I'd want to wear it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I agree with the others gentlemen's comments, not an everyday cologne.
On the few occasions I've worn it to the office I get questions like, "what is that?, it really smells nice", always from the ladies.

CraigK
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
I think the price is reasonable, not fantastic. The scent is very well made, and I believe it to be fairly complex. I do note the sweetness of the scent, and I agree with Scotto, that it reminds me of being on a Date, or sitting at home with your girlfriend. I find that it is a scent that I personally, don't like to wear out of the house much (I'm not big on wearing sweet scents if I'm out in public), however I love to wear it while I am home. I also agree that it does have somewhat of an exotic part to it.

However, I would like to be clear that for me, this is a scent that I would not want to blindly purchase without having tested/smelled it before. This isn't quite your typical Department Store fair, and for some folks it might be hit or miss.

I wanted to also add that the longevity of this scent is unbelievable on me. I forgot I had 1 spray on my t-shirt from about 3-4 days ago, and I can smell it like I just sprayed it. As for on skin, I'd say I can get about 8 hours out of this scent, and if I would put it on at around 10pm, a shower the next morning would likely be necessary to remove the scent off your skin.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
This was my second Penhaligon's full bottle purchase, made after the multiple positive comments from my wife (from the sample). As Scotto said, a sweet, exotic scent. For me, it's very much a "date" fragrance and not something I would wear every day.

As typical, Penhaligon's packaging is superb. I'm a fan of the black bottle.

Staying power seems quite good.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Needless to say I like this scent. I wear it occasionally but not very often. I will wear it out to social events with my wife. Very nice indeed.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
The lights go down in the theater, and the credits begin. Your heart races with anticipation - this is the first time you have been on a real date with a girl. She sits next to you, eating candy and looking at the screen. The smell of her is intoxicating, almost overwhelming. Soft, sweet, spicy, beguiling. Shyly, you extend your arm around her shoulders. Will she pull away? No. Your heart is about to explode out of your chest. She turns her head to you, staring into your eyes. You realize she is as nervous and excited as you are; you can almost fall into her dilated pupils and be lost forever. Did she move her lips a fraction toward you? Should you kiss her? Confusion and lust are intermixed. Finally, hormones overwhelming the conscious mind, you pull her toward you, mouth open. She yields, pressing her burning lips against yours. You taste the intense cinnamon of the red hot candies she has been eating, and suddenly all rational thought is gone, evaporated in a mist of young lust and hormonal chaos....

Well, I hope that paints a picture of the scent for you. I am a die hard Penhaligon's fan, but I must admit that I was expecting not to like this one as much as I do. "Love Potion" indeed - how trite. That being said, this is very nice juice. It is quite sweet, with intense edges of spiciness from cinnamon and clove. There is something about it which reminds me of sex; I guess the Love Potion apellation is fitting after all. This is definitely a "modern" scent, and one that differs quite a bit from the more traditional Penhaligon offerings like Blenheim/Hammam bouquet, etc., but a worthy cologne in its own right. I am guessing the fairer sex will like this one quite a bit when you pull them close. Good stuff.

This review is being discussed here.
Top Bottom