What's new

Musgo Real - Aftershave Balsam

I thought I had done a review of this earlier as I've had some for a while. In any event, I have to say this product was a let down. The most important thing to know for any potential buyer is that for whatever bizarre reason this ASB smells nothing like the cream. Why this would be is a mystery. And the scent is not good. To me it smells very musty. Almost like a laundry hamper full of dirty clothes. It's near the bottom in this category in my shave arsenal of all products. As if that wasn't bad enough the performance doesn't do anything to make you want to look beyond the poor scent. It doesn't absorb very well and there is a white residue all over when applied that has to be worked in (or wiped off, who knows which is the case when you're constantly rubbing your hands around on your face). So now beyond bad smell and the residue you hope for good results for what the balm was intended to do which is help with razor burn and provide some moisture. Alas, not really hitting the mark here either as I feel it misses both targets. Didn't help relieve too much razor burn, even if it's mild, and not a lot of post shave moisture was to be had either. Perhaps some of this was from wiping it around, or off, my face from trying to erase the white residue. Anyhow, that's my take. When this bottle is used up (no idea when that'll be at this point. When's the next Olympics?) I won't replace it. The fact that it oddly smells nothing like the cream and instead smells like dirty socks is enough to make that an easy decision regardless of the poor performance. If anyone is considering purchasing this product please try to sample some first.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Just bought this off of BST along with the matching a/s splash. This is more of a milk than a balm and is resembles T&H's Grafton in the scent department. There is no burn with this and it isnt greasy. It dries quickly and moistens the skin. I have sensitive skin and the poses no issues.:thumbup1:
I am very satisfied with this aftershave. It is very moisturizing, but does not leave your face feeling tacky or sticky. The scent is not like musgo cream, but it does not last very long so it will not clash with colognes. It is heavy enough to really moisturize well and help keep razorburn away, yet it is liquid enough and light enough to be appropriate for the hot and sticky summer months. In all a fantastic aftershave. Gave a six for scent as it smells nearly nothing like the cream, and a three for cooling sensation as there is no cooling sensation as it lacks any menthol or camphor (which is good in my opinion).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Warning!!

THis stuff is absolute garbage. Nobody buy it!! As a matter of fact, if you have some with you right now, send it to me and I'll dispose of it in an appropriate manner. It certainly didn't immediately kill any sort of "raw" or "freshly shaved feeling" and redness as soon as I put it on.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
My favourite aftershave balm winter or summer. Soaks into skin almost immediately. Dont get razor burn that much any more unless I'm in a hurry or not paying attention but this balm will sort it out in no time. As for the scent, I would bathe in the stuff if I could! Smells the same as the splash which is excellent also.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Great aftershave. The scent is subtle but masculine. Really effective in the winter time for protection against blustery wind.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I try to rotate my products for the sake of a variety of experiences and to validate their purchases. That said, I reach for this particular bottle more so than anything else, be it razor, cream, or what have you. I personally really enjoy the scent, and find it lingers very mildly and pleasantly throughout the day. My face stays moisturized all day as well after I use this, even if I have a bummer shave or five 0'clock shadow.

Perhaps the best testament to an AS is the fact that even a shave that yields RB can be treated wonderfully with the Musgo balm. I have seen red skin go pale, bumps be thwarted, and irritation be damned!

Seriously, at the 19-24 dollar price tag (depending on the source) this is a total sure-buy! (and the fact I can find it at a B&M certainly helps!)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This has got to be my best ASB. I asked the barber where I satisfy my shaving AD's for a neutral scented but very moisturizing ASB, because I have dry skin. Especially my cheeks become 'flaky' with dry skincells on particularly dry days (wintertime mostly). Also, I wanted one without much added scent because that combines better with colognes.

He was spot on about the moisturizing and it's the first ASB that really helps with my dry skin. For that reason alone I'll replace this bottle when (nof if) I run out. He was wrong about the neutral scent. The scent is quite prominent and lingers through out the day. But it's about as manly a scent as manly can be.

It doesn't have much cooling sensation, but that doesn't bother me because I have plenty others that do.

I wanted an excellent everyday ASB for dry skin, but it's so good I hardly ever touch my other stuff. And I do have some high-end brands I used to love. Perfect stuff, highly recommended.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I will compare this to Proraso ASB, my to-go-to asb:

Price
Not expensive, but neither a bargain

Quality
High. The product is very well made and the classic glass bottle is a big plus.

Fights Razor Burn
Not as efficient as Proraso ASB, but still rather good

Cooling Sensation
Not much of that really

Scent
This ASB is not unscented, but the scent is very faint. It works nicely with the Musgo Real SC, but for allround use I highly prefer the smell of the Proraso ASB

Efficacy
A little goes, if not a long way, then long enough

Moisturizing
I have rather dry skin, the Musgo Real ASB works ok woth my skin when it comes to moisturizing abilities, but nowhere as good as the Proraso ASB

All in all this is an ok ASB. But I only use it together with the Musgo Rael SC - and I am not quite sure I will be buying it again.

Regards.

Jakob
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Excellent product, moisturizes well, if you like MR the scent is great. Soothes razor burn or roughness. Non-greasy, no alcohol. The bottle has a small orifice to meter out the balm - can be hard to get the right amount out. The price is reasonable for a quality product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Musgo is where I go when I've messed up my shave and need a rescue.

It's also where I go when I haven't messed up my shave and want some pampering.

The only time I don't go to it is when I need time off to appreciate it more, or when it's so hot out I need something thin.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I just got a bottle of this on my most recent "I shouldn't drink and surf the internet with a credit card" night. I love it! I've used it daily for almost a week now.

First of all, I love the Musgo pre-shave oil and balsam scents (why doesn't the bar soap smell like this?). It has a noticeable edge over my DR Harris milk, which I also like but doesn't do much for my dry skin. The MR does have a cooling effect which definitely helped after yesterday's rather hurried shave and subsequent angry neck burn. Finally, it really does moisturize almost as well as any lotion in my arsenal.

Like most of this stuff, it's probably a bit overpriced but they know we'll buy it anyway. My only other gripe is that the plastic stopper allows only the most minuscule amount of lotion to come thru with vigorous shaking of the bottle; I had to enlarge the hole to get the balm out.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is my first and only aftershave balm(i don't use splashes yet... trying to resist..) and it works wonders. Soothes and calms the skin and makes it feel really nice and supple. The scent is a nice manly earthy scent, thats the only way i can describe it really. A little goes a long way with this stuff. I tend to use it mostly on weekends before going out as it makes you feel like royalty. Its cheaper then alot of other balms too.

All up, great stuff.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: $25 for an average sized bottle...not bad but not cheap compared to some other products. For me, the price is acceptable.

Quality: Top quality...

Fights razor burn: This balsam provides IMO one of the best (maybe the best) relief from irritation. Based on this I would recommend people try this stuff out. For me I can see a dramatic difference in my skin within a half hour.

Cooling Sensation: Not much cooling here...

Scent: If you like Musgo Real scent you will love the way this smells....not too strong but fades out nicely. If you have never smelled Musgo Real I suggest testing it before you buy some because it seems to be one of those scents that can be hit or miss.

Efficacy: As an after shave it works great...provides great relief from razor burn, smells nice, moisturizes very well, and seals the skin with a very fine bee's wax coating. Some people do not like this...I tend to find it to be one of the best qualities of this product especially during the winter.

Moisturizing: Very moisturizing, as I said above the thin bee's wax coating really keeps the skin well conditioned and moisturized for hours.

No Alcohol Burn: Not sure if there is alcohol in this because I haven't noticed any alcohol type burn.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
There are some over priced aftershaves that aren't worth the money. This one marginally is worth the price $30.

I find that I need to put it on right after I shave with a wet face or it gives me a thick creamy feeling all day.

As far as smell goes it's strong and women either hate it or say that the love it because it rreminds them of their dad/grandfather.
Personally I love the smell and find that my truck smells like this, maybe from getting it on the steering wheel?
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
:c2: I got some in this weekend. I opened it up and the scent was not something I would have made me rush out to buy it.

I went back to the website and read about it...
almond, jahoba oils...for skin treatment
shea butter and marshmallow to protect
echinicea to help heal
beeswax to seal and protect

hmmm sounds so intriguing

This morning, I used mitchells wool fat shave soap, which in itself is SO nice...
after the shave, I had a nice cool rinse, dried and then applied the Musgo Balm.

It was nice, no burn, smooth... Now, as I sit here typing this review, listening to BB King, and checking my face as it absorbs in the balm the one word that comes to mind is smoooooth, not smooth, but smoooooth (with 5 "o"s).

If you want a nice aftershave, that just oozes smoothness....something different from the "shock and awe" that has you gripping the marble on the bathroom countertop and making the "incredible hulk/hunk face in the mirror, I think this is one of those.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Just got a bottle and I'm finding it's my favorite. I still enjoy the Proraso A/S - with the Proraso suite. I was using my 2 Niveas for my other creams, but now that I have branched into soaps, I'm finding that the Musgo really counteracts the dehydration. Musgo balsam w/ Musgo cream - same beautiful blend as with Proraso.

The scent overpowers what's left of the soap, but that's _usually_ all to the good.

I'm complaining about the price, but I guess it'll last me a good long time. I'll certainly order more when it's done....

In short, and in order:

Musgo balsam
Proraso A/S
Nivea replenishing, soothing
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I love Musgo Real - Aftershave Balsam. I got this as a sample from Scotto with other various aftershave balms. This was by far my favorite. When i first tried it, i was a little over taken by the smell. It seemed like a older man scent to me (i'm 24). But the smell really grew on me. Now i love it!

But what really sold me on this aftershave was how well it protected and moisturized the skin. Plus is absolutely knocks out razor burn. When i saw the results and the scent grew on me i fell in love with this stuff.

Its now my go to aftershave balm! :thumbup:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is a top-notch aftershave. It doesn't sting and does a great job at eliminating razor burn. It takes a little while to soak in, but it leaves your skin nice and moisturized. We just had a huge snowfall here and I went out and shoveled and used the snowblower and my skin was dry as could be, but after a shower and a shave I used this and it took care of it no problem. It has a nice scent, and even though it isn't cheap, you don't need much of it to be effective.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
When you start accumulating as many potions and concoctions as some of the maniacs on this site, you'll find that they tend to last for a long time. If you have thirty shaving creams, you'll only use one a month.

So the notion of replacing products in your lineup may not cause much loss of sleep. Some items won't be replaced, while others I can't imagine living without. The Musgo balm joins their splash in this latter category.

When I run out of this balm, I'm gettin' a bigger one.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)