What's new

Muhle-Pinsel R89

First off, I rated it 10 for Price and 10 for Adjustability for 2 reasons. If you shop around, you can find this one for the same price or less then the Edwin Jagger 89L. For adjustability, it doesn't have any, so I didn't want to take away from the overall score (there should be a N/A box). My handles is also slight different then the pics above, see my pic below.

The fit and finish on this razor is stunning. I had a small flaw on the head and Muhle sent a replacement, no questions asked.

The balance and aggressiveness are perfect. It is just the right size handle for my hands, it gives me a near BBS every time with 3 passes with a Feather blade and I've only be DE shaving for about 60days.

While the handle is beautiful, it could use a few deeper knurls to give it a better grip, but I have yet to drop it or have it slip out of my hand.

It's a 3 pce, so changing the blade takes a bit of care, but not much extra. The 3 pce is very nice for cleaning. After I swap out a blade, I take some liquid hand soap and a tooth brush and scrub it clean until the next time it gets used.

Overall, it's the best razor in my rotation. I have a Gillette Slim, Merkur 38C barberpole, Edwin Jagger DE87 and I find myself getting the best shaves from the Muhle.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
I have owned a Gillette Fat Boy, Gillette Super Speed, Merkur 38C and the Muhle R89 (2009 closed comb). The Muhle is a fabulous work of art. It is beautifully constructed. In terms of shave, I'd rate it very similar to the Gillette Super Speed, both in weight/balance and aggressiveness. It is slightly less aggressive and lighter than the Merkur 38C. The Muhle and the Merkur are my two favorites by far.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Well built and of quality. Looking at it next to the Merkurs it was obvious to me that the Muhle had better balance and was better crafted. Not that the Merkurs are of poor quality but the Muhle was noticeably better.

Excellent handle, I have absolutely no slip issues. Blade exposure is just right and it just looks awesome. The finish is top notch and the brand name stamped on the base is a nice touch.

It is well balanced and it's top heavy which is what I prefer. I'm not saying the head is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than the handle but it is noticeable.

I am always amazed at people's ability to exagerate. It is not as aggressive as stated here and no, it's not going to chop your head off if you are not paying attention. Anyone new to wet shaving is going to get nicks and cuts regardless of the razor used. The only issue to a newcomer might be blade replacement, which is a little less convenient with this style razor than with a TTO. If blade replacement is going to be an issue for you then get a TTO, otherwise I see no reason to scare a newbie away from this razor besides its price.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
D
It would also be best if Muhle just came up with a new model number for the new razor.

Labarum;1636165 said:
It should be noted that this thread comments on two entirely different razors with the same name.

I would be best if a mod would divide the thread into two reviews for the old and the new model.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I just switched from a merkur 38c (I was still getting neck irritation and wanted to give something else a shot). With a feather its every bit as aggressive, but I get far less irratation and almost no nicks.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Well, using this one, as pic above

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/classic/rasierer/1/sicherheitsrasierer/77/8/R_89?lang=en

...and noticed i didn't have yet made my review...

Price: perfect, under € 30, a bargain

Quality: german quality.What else?

User Friendly: yes, no nics or cuts. This 08 Edition has fixed some minor issues.They are too the EJ's razor heads, as anyone can confirm.

Grip: nothing to say for a metal handle. My G' SS Black Beauty handle is better but resin coated, it seems.

Balance: well balanced, sligthy lighter than any Vint' G , of course, but in that case it's one more point to be added, a good one.

Blade Replacement: as any 3 pieces (23C for instance).No big deal.

Agressiveness: none, no nicks or cuts.It seems MP has solved this issue

I think (i'm quite sure?)this razor will be, over time, a nasty competitor to the almighty 34C HD.He has everything as his fellow german colleague plus an updated design, more actual to say so, with the same features of the HD.

If i was Merkur i would be worried with this newbie to the same HD league. Let's wait and see...
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Apparently there were problems that were fixed. My new R89 (July 2009 purchase) is perfect - no problems as mentioned in prior reviews.

I've been using this daily for 3+ weeks and will support my ratings as follows:

Price: $42 seems reasonable to me for something that will last a lifetime and look good for the duration

Quality: beautiful chrome, very solid feel in hand

User friendly: sure, simple 3 piece design

Grip: the handle pattern is more decorative than functional; it feels a little slippery but I haven't dropped it or had a slip...perhaps because it feels a little slippery and I'm carefule to hold on...

Ease of Blade Replacement: TTO would get a 10 in my book

Aggressiveness: I think this is a 'mild' shaver; I do a 3 pass shave with some extra strokes on the jawline - haven't had a nick or pull yet.

Balance: It has a substantial feel to it, but seems a little top heavy.

I am very satisfied with the purchase.
displayimage.php
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I sold the razor already but I should review it as someone else might find something useful in this. What can I say that's not here already. Awesome shaver. It almost feels like a straight. The blade is the first thing that I feel when shaving. A milder shaver doesn't feel like this. You have to be careful with this tiger. Why did it end up in BST? I didn't like the wiggle with the blade when I changed it. I have a Gillette NEW and the alignment system is simple and without any wiggle. Please note that the R89 doesn't have a defect, it's how they made it. You can expose the blade a bit more on one side or give an uneven exposure on the same side. After 2 months, I was able to align the blade perfectly 80% of the time. That's the only reason why I sold it, otherwise, it would be my daily shaver. The agressivity of this razor is amazing. I think you can loose a layer of skin if not careful. It was a good weight and the grip on the handle was perfect. Would I buy this again? Only if Muhle fix the alignment of the blade, if they do, I'm in line at the shop without any hesitation. I would think this razor is for an intermediate/advanced shaver.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Dear All - FYI

I have just ordered the new and improved Muhle-Pinsel R89 closed comb only because I wanted a similiar DE to the Merkur HD but better quality if its good enough for Edwin Jagger then its good enough for me.

This has now been completely redesigned and YES they do read these forums and take notes, the handle has also been redesigned.

I will ofcourse keep you all posted as soon as I have had the pleasure!
I am using this razor (in rotation) for allmost a year now. I did need a couple of shaves to adjust but whow what a shaver this is!!
You should not use it when absent minded or during rush hour in the bathroom; it needs all of your attention! But in return it will give you the best shave ever. With the Mühle and the right blade I can settle for a two pass and a little touch up and still shave closer than in a 3 or 4 pass shave with most other razors.
My only (little) problem is the grip; when you hold it in the middle of the handle like I do it becomes a little slippery when wet becouse of the longitudinal grooves. I expect this problem will be solved with the new handles that are out now.
It is not my favourite razor becouse it needs more concentration than I am willing to give any day but it is certainly one of the best!!!
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
When one shaves with the R89 razor, one needs to be aware that is using an aggressive and non forgiving tool. You get distracted, one nick, you increase pressure, two nicks and on and on. That said I use it twice a week with a Feather and a slick soap and it gives me the best smooth shaves in 3 careful passes. I don't use it more often because I do not want to get too comfortable with it. She is like the lady one wants to keep seeing but not to get too involved with.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Dear Regular_Strop,
I note in your review that you were dissatisfied with the Muehle 89.
Do you want to sell?
I have been using this razor for two months in my rotation. It is,as already stated very aggressive. Blade placement is most important if you want to get the best results from this razor. I have actually had better results with the maligned Merkur blades. Using sharper blades caused some irritation,although nothing major.The Muhle is a nice hefty aggressive shaving tool, that given a little respect will give you excellent results.:smile:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
I purchased the razor fancying a change from my standard HD, thinking it would be another nice addition to my various DEs. When it turned up I was pleased with initial inspection, it was packaged in a functional yet sturdy box, well lined with tissues paper too to avoid damage in transit.
Then more importantly inspection of the razor itself pleased me as I couldn't find any flaws at all! :001_smile
I then tried the screw thread a number of times and checked the head placement, and all seemed very good.
I couldn't wait to get going with this beauty so I loaded it up with a favorite Wilkinson blade all ready to go.
Actually left it till the next day anticipating what a great shave it might give. I was already aware it could be a 'little' aggressive :wink:
What I found when I tried was the most aggressive shave I have ever had, it literally scalped my neck line even with me being far more careful than I would with my HD or others. I had a number of minute nicks all over my chin, which I haven't done since being a DE newbie a long time ago.

Overall, I would say that the quality is there with this razor, and it has the potential to be good, if and this is a big IF, you can put up with the aggressiveness. For me this one will be staying in the cupboard for some time. Till I forget the ordeal I had with it. :confused:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I just got this razor yesterday and have only shaved with it once, but my experience was that it gave an excellent shave. No nicks or cuts, and a BBS finish. I think Dan's razor definitely had some defects, because mine doesn't have any blade-waviness issues or poor fitting cap. In fact, its fit and finish is kind of impressive next to my old favorite HD. I love the look of the razor with its vertical lines, it reminds me of a miniature art deco skyscraper.

I gave this razor a 7 on price, because it ran me $40 which is more than most fixed-head Merkurs, but the quality does seem to be a bit nicer for what you pay, earning a rating of 10 since I could find no flaws.

The razor scored an 8 for user-friendliness since I believe this would be a difficult razor for a new shaver to use, but should be quite easy for a regular DE shaver to get used to. I've been DE shaving for just over a year, and while this razor requires a slightly different approach than my HD, Tech, or 38C, it only took a few strokes to get used to using it.

Grip and Ease of Blade Replacement scored a 9 because the grip is just fine and anybody who's changed a blade in a Tech can change the blade in this. Not rocket science.

Aggressiveness - 8. OK, this razor is somewhat aggressive. I had to be careful with my angle and use a very light touch, but it gave me an extremely close shave and zero razor burn / nicks. A new DE shaver could butcher their face in short order with this if they were not careful.

Balance I gave a 10 because it's size and weight are very similar to the HD which I find very comfortable to use.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I have been using the Merkur HD for four weeks with a 1948 SS on a few days and with a variety of blades settling to Swedes.

Today with the Muehle R89 I have had the best DE shave ever. With the first stroke I could feel and hear the difference. By beard was cut so efficiently I was never tempted to apply any pressure. With a new Swede the open comb Muehle reduced my beard effortlessly.

I always thought I had an average Anglo-Saxon beard. My hair as a young man was anything from light brown to blond, depending on the sun. Now I have a lot of wiry white hair which is quite tough. My instinct has proven correct - the Merkur HD is a fine razor, but it was not right for me. This open comb Muhle is a big step forward for me.

I cannot yet tell how it would compare to a Merkur open comb or Slant. The experiments will have to wait a while.

I score 7 for Aggressiveness, but I really don't know how to score objectively. All I know is it cuts better than the HD, but the open comb showed me no "aggression". It did not cut or hurt me.

My Muehle is better engineered than my Merkur HD and is ten grammes or so lighter. I see none of the problems witnessed elsewhere. Delivery from Muehle was the next working day - but I am living in Germany.

So, in conclusion - the Muehle R89 gave me an effortless shave and the best I have had in four weeks DE shaving. The only area that was not BBS after a three pass WTG, XTG, ATG was the heel of my right jaw. I need to perfect my technique in this area and shave with my left (poor) hand to get the angle of attack correct. That was not the razor's fault.

An excellent buy. Absolutely delighted. And it looks pretty too!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Yikes! This is an interesting razor. It can be ordered on line from Muhle-Pinsel direct, or there's a couple of other sites where you can find it. I got lucky and managed to find it at a local store for $35.

Here's a pic alongside a Merkur HD for comparison-
proxy.php

The handle is nice and chunky and feels good in the hand; well balanced. The head resembles an old comb style Gillette. Looks can be deceiving however. While an old style Gillette is rather mild, the R89 isn't. In short, if you aren't careful, it'll rip your face off!

Loading a blade takes a bit of care. The blade has a fair amount of wiggle room, so you need to carefully line up the blade before tightening the handle. The razor came with an Astra blade, but I decided to load it up with a Merkur. No real reason other than the Merkur is a middle of the road blade. I thank God that I didn't load it with a Feather - my face probably would have looked like I'd been shaved by Freddy Kruger! :biggrin:

The bottom line: If you're looking for something a bit different, but still classic stylewise; and if you have a moderate to tough beard, you may like this razor.

Well, I must post an update to my review, now that I've shaved with this razor for about a week. It has, unfortunately inflicted enough nicks for me to really look closely at how this beast is built. I won't be shaving with it for awhile to let my face heal - ouch!

In looking at the blade under a magnifying glass, it appears that the blade is not clamped down flat. Sighting down the blade (I checked Merkur, Gillette Swedes and Derby for this), the edge is wavy and not at all parallel to the comb. Not good and explains my discomfort and nicks.

The culprit is the razor cap - it's simply made poorly. If I replace the cap with a cap from a Gillette 102A Old Style (the threads aren't exactly the same, but close enough for experimentation), the blade then clamps down in the razor straight and proper. The razor is still very aggressive, but does not inflict nicks.

The rest of my review remains the same, but I've revised my quality rating down to 4. Balance and feel are good. I'm hoping that this problem is just poor quality control with just this one razor. However, if you purchase one of these, be sure to sight down the blade under a magnifying glass to be sure that the edge is not wavy before you shave with it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)