What's new

Muhle-Pinsel R89

Item Description

Yikes! This is an interesting razor. It can be ordered on line from Muhle-Pinsel direct, or there's a couple of other sites where you can find it. I got lucky and managed to find it at a local store for $35.

Here's a pic alongside a Merkur HD for comparison-
proxy.php

The handle is nice and chunky and feels good in the hand; well balanced. The head resembles an old comb style Gillette. Looks can be deceiving however. While an old style Gillette is rather mild, the R89 isn't. In short, if you aren't careful, it'll rip your face off!

Loading a blade takes a bit of care. The blade has a fair amount of wiggle room, so you need to carefully line up the blade before tightening the handle. The razor came with an Astra blade, but I decided to load it up with a Merkur. No real reason other than the Merkur is a middle of the road blade. I thank God that I didn't load it with a Feather - my face probably would have looked like I'd been shaved by Freddy Kruger! :biggrin:

The bottom line: If you're looking for something a bit different, but still classic stylewise; and if you have a moderate to tough beard, you may like this razor.

Well, I must post an update to my review, now that I've shaved with this razor for about a week. It has, unfortunately inflicted enough nicks for me to really look closely at how this beast is built. I won't be shaving with it for awhile to let my face heal - ouch!

In looking at the blade under a magnifying glass, it appears that the blade is not clamped down flat. Sighting down the blade (I checked Merkur, Gillette Swedes and Derby for this), the edge is wavy and not at all parallel to the comb. Not good and explains my discomfort and nicks.

The culprit is the razor cap - it's simply made poorly. If I replace the cap with a cap from a Gillette 102A Old Style (the threads aren't exactly the same, but close enough for experimentation), the blade then clamps down in the razor straight and proper. The razor is still very aggressive, but does not inflict nicks.

The rest of my review remains the same, but I've revised my quality rating down to 4. Balance and feel are good. I'm hoping that this problem is just poor quality control with just this one razor. However, if you purchase one of these, be sure to sight down the blade under a magnifying glass to be sure that the edge is not wavy before you shave with it.

Latest reviews

First off, I rated it 10 for Price and 10 for Adjustability for 2 reasons. If you shop around, you can find this one for the same price or less then the Edwin Jagger 89L. For adjustability, it doesn't have any, so I didn't want to take away from the overall score (there should be a N/A box). My handles is also slight different then the pics above, see my pic below.

The fit and finish on this razor is stunning. I had a small flaw on the head and Muhle sent a replacement, no questions asked.

The balance and aggressiveness are perfect. It is just the right size handle for my hands, it gives me a near BBS every time with 3 passes with a Feather blade and I've only be DE shaving for about 60days.

While the handle is beautiful, it could use a few deeper knurls to give it a better grip, but I have yet to drop it or have it slip out of my hand.

It's a 3 pce, so changing the blade takes a bit of care, but not much extra. The 3 pce is very nice for cleaning. After I swap out a blade, I take some liquid hand soap and a tooth brush and scrub it clean until the next time it gets used.

Overall, it's the best razor in my rotation. I have a Gillette Slim, Merkur 38C barberpole, Edwin Jagger DE87 and I find myself getting the best shaves from the Muhle.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
I have owned a Gillette Fat Boy, Gillette Super Speed, Merkur 38C and the Muhle R89 (2009 closed comb). The Muhle is a fabulous work of art. It is beautifully constructed. In terms of shave, I'd rate it very similar to the Gillette Super Speed, both in weight/balance and aggressiveness. It is slightly less aggressive and lighter than the Merkur 38C. The Muhle and the Merkur are my two favorites by far.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Well built and of quality. Looking at it next to the Merkurs it was obvious to me that the Muhle had better balance and was better crafted. Not that the Merkurs are of poor quality but the Muhle was noticeably better.

Excellent handle, I have absolutely no slip issues. Blade exposure is just right and it just looks awesome. The finish is top notch and the brand name stamped on the base is a nice touch.

It is well balanced and it's top heavy which is what I prefer. I'm not saying the head is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than the handle but it is noticeable.

I am always amazed at people's ability to exagerate. It is not as aggressive as stated here and no, it's not going to chop your head off if you are not paying attention. Anyone new to wet shaving is going to get nicks and cuts regardless of the razor used. The only issue to a newcomer might be blade replacement, which is a little less convenient with this style razor than with a TTO. If blade replacement is going to be an issue for you then get a TTO, otherwise I see no reason to scare a newbie away from this razor besides its price.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)