What's new

Merkur HD

I bought the HD because of all the positive posts on these forums and especially the recommendations of it being the best for beginners. I've been shaving with it for a week and I am extremely pleased at how fast I am learning on it. I have received only a very minimal number of small weepers and am getting consistently good, comfortable shaves. My confidence has increased each time I use the HD. Practically speaking, I would probably be content to use the HD alone until the day I turn it all in. Realistically speaking, I am looking forward to trying other razors after I get my technique down pat with the HD. I recommend this razor to any other guy just starting out.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
The gold standard of new razors. Easy enough for a beginner, competent enough for grizzled veterans.

Perfect for anyone. If you find the handle too short, get the 23C long handle, as well.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Was advised to use this about two months ago when i decided to go down the wet shaving route.

Slapped on some Proraso(green tube)...with a badger brush of course! and gave it a go.That was two months ago and i have been using this little beauty almost every day since, and so far without a nick or a cut.

I have even used it to shave my head without any problems whatsoever.
It is ergonomic and feels just right in your hand, although to admit i have been treating it with respect:biggrin:

All in all a great purchase and i have no hesitation in joining in and recommending this razor to all you guys out there. :tongue:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Many people advise buying this as your first DE razor. However if you enjoy buying razors I'd suggest you get it last, as it will be difficult to justify buying anything else after you've got one.

It really does everything you could want from a razor: it's hard to see why everyone doesn't have one. You feel like buying handfuls and handing them out at random.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I have used the Merkur HD for about 5 months and it's about all the razor I need. The head and angle work the best for me. The only thing I might change on it is to have a longer handle for better balance, and I just solved that for me by trading for a Merkur LH so now I have two Merkur's. TTO would be nice, but I can deal with them as they are. I find that this type of razor works better on my face than vintage Gillettes that I have tried (40's Superspeed & Fat Boy). I'm thinking these two Merkur's will last me the rest of my life.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I love the Merkur HD, it's a fantastic razor. It's nice and heavy in the hand, but not to heavy to where it slips in a two finger grip. My lowest score is in aggressiveness, but I don't thinks that's a bad thing, sometimes you aren't looking for aggressiveness and gentility is what you are looking for and this one gives a close shave with a low risk of skin irritation. This is the best razor IMO for a beginner to learn DE shaving on. The balance is perfect, I use a 2 finger grip and it's gives a light touch with perfect control. And Quality, what can I say, the HD will last a hundred years easily. With the notched grip a forefinger and a thumb can manipilate it into a variety of positions. The price is a little high compared to the Gilette Super Speed a somewhat similar razor, though inferior in other areas IMO, but the price is not absorbant by any means, and a sound investment when durability is considered. All in all, the HD is a high quality product and a worthwhile investment in anyone's shaving kit.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The H-D is my go to razor - every now and again I play with some of my Gillettes, but always end up gong back to the H-D.

As others mentioned, to the untrained eye it looks like the slant - so when mine comes my SO won't even notice...

The handle is a little short, but the H-D is very easy to control.

When people ask what razor they should use, this is the one I recommend.

The fact that you'll get a lifetime of use out of a razor that costs less than $30 is just one more reason to own one of these.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
This was probably my favourite....until I bought the Slant Bar! An excellent razor with what I would describe as medium aggression. I use this when I want to have a close shave and give my face a rest!! The other advantage of course......it is an HD...and to the untrained eye (ie the wife) it looks like my HD Slant......so I have 2 razors for the look of one:001_smile

Brian
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The HD is still my "go to" razor. It was my first HD, and I love it. Gave one to my son today. I've compared it against Gillettes, the Slant, the Progress, and I keep coming home to the HD.

Randy
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
A great razor for both the experienced user as well as the beginner.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Probably Merkurs nicest razor, its only rival in my affection being its sister the slant bar.

Some may find the HD a little aggressive. Too much aggression is not a good thing as it often leads to irritated skin. So if you want (or must have) 'New' then this is the razor to get.

As with many Merkurs the chrome finish can sometimes be less than perfect, so I marked down a little for inconsitent quality.

Don't buy the sister razor first, it is not easy to do sideburns with a slant.

Regards
John
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
If I had to choose one all-around razor this would be it. I think everything about it is just about perfect. It is a great value compared to the prices of some of the gillette's that go on ebay. The aggressiveness is perfect, not overly aggressive but not super tame. I can't think about one thing i'd like to change about this razor. It is probably my favorite, it's what I use to test out blades with and what I'd recommend to anyone starting out.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is the perfect razor for beginners, and is pretty darn good for just about everyone else too. Unless you're looking for adjustability, it's hard to go wrong with the HD.

-Nick
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
proxy.php

Price: At $30, this razor is a bargain. When considering all of the safety razors on the market, this would be a middle priced item. When considering the quality of the razor, this is a bargain price.

Grip: The pommel (to borrow a term from Rich) of this razor is textured which allows a very secure grip while shaving. The handle is gnarled which allows a secure grip while rinsing, blade changing, etc.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Blade replacement is a cinch with the HD. While it isn't as simple as a "Butterfly" razor, it is a major step up from the 1904 Classic. The HD is also a 3 piece razor, but composed differently so you do not have to hold the head of the razor while tightening.

Aggressiveness: Aggressiveness is an interesting issue with razors. Certainly there is a point where a razor can become so tame that it makes getting a close shave difficult, however, there is also a point where a razor can become so aggressive that you have to alter technique to avoid being butchered. I find the HD to be in that "happy medium" place where shaves are close and skin stays healthy.

Balance: I truly love the feel of this instrument. The balance is superb and it has a nice heft.

User Friendly: As stated before, the aggressiveness of this razor is just right for a beginner, intermediate, or advanced shaver to achieve excellent results. Also, the angle on the comb of this razor can help to provide and excellent guide for the appropriate razor angle needed. The weight of the razor allows the user to apply no pressure and still have adequate pressure to cut hair.

Overall Quality: From the moment you remove this razor from the box, you will know that you have a quality item in your hands. Of all the razors I have used, the HD has been the only one to stand the test of time. I will still revisit old razors from time to time and will undoubtedly continue to buy new ones, but it would take a true marvel of engineering to make a razor that could bump the HD off the top of the shaving heap.
Top Bottom