What's new

Merkur HD

Item Description

proxy.php

Price: At $30, this razor is a bargain. When considering all of the safety razors on the market, this would be a middle priced item. When considering the quality of the razor, this is a bargain price.

Grip: The pommel (to borrow a term from Rich) of this razor is textured which allows a very secure grip while shaving. The handle is gnarled which allows a secure grip while rinsing, blade changing, etc.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Blade replacement is a cinch with the HD. While it isn't as simple as a "Butterfly" razor, it is a major step up from the 1904 Classic. The HD is also a 3 piece razor, but composed differently so you do not have to hold the head of the razor while tightening.

Aggressiveness: Aggressiveness is an interesting issue with razors. Certainly there is a point where a razor can become so tame that it makes getting a close shave difficult, however, there is also a point where a razor can become so aggressive that you have to alter technique to avoid being butchered. I find the HD to be in that "happy medium" place where shaves are close and skin stays healthy.

Balance: I truly love the feel of this instrument. The balance is superb and it has a nice heft.

User Friendly: As stated before, the aggressiveness of this razor is just right for a beginner, intermediate, or advanced shaver to achieve excellent results. Also, the angle on the comb of this razor can help to provide and excellent guide for the appropriate razor angle needed. The weight of the razor allows the user to apply no pressure and still have adequate pressure to cut hair.

Overall Quality: From the moment you remove this razor from the box, you will know that you have a quality item in your hands. Of all the razors I have used, the HD has been the only one to stand the test of time. I will still revisit old razors from time to time and will undoubtedly continue to buy new ones, but it would take a true marvel of engineering to make a razor that could bump the HD off the top of the shaving heap.

Latest reviews

Pros: nice safe shave
Cons: eventually rusted and coating flaked off
Bought my HD iate 2007. Had to throw it out end of 2010. I scratched my face one day & noticed that the chrome plating (?) had come away on the head as though it was stiff aluminium foil.
For all the praise for Merkur's quality it seems strange I've struck out with both the HD & Slant (see my other review)
It shaves nicely & as a newbie I quickly learned not to nick myself.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Very easy to learn with
Cons: Hard for me to shave under my nose
My first D/E safety razor and it has been a pleasure to use. I paid too much for it Becasue I got it from AOS. I find it hard to shave directly under my nose but that may be more of a technique issue. For the price this is a great razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: well made, excellent shave
Cons: short handle takes a couple of shaves to get used to
Excellent razor for the beginner to the advanced user. Handle takes a week to get used to, but is well balanced.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)