What's new

Martin de Candre savon à raser

Price - 7 - This stuff costs $64 shipped for a 170g glass jar filled product. It is expensive, there is no denying that! However compared to say a 90g AOS wood bowl for $45 the price/oz is right in line with AOS (or actually cheaper when you factor in the bowls). I wish they sold a refill puck or block of soap that would help on price like AOS does. Definitely a soap you want to sample before plucking down the money.

Quality - 10 - MdC is made with no preservatives and with a very traditional saponification method by hand. Everything about it speaks of the high quality of this soap.

Scent - 10 - This is either a love it or hate it scent (again, why you should try a sample). I got a sample of this stuff that lasted me about 5-6 shaves and the first couple shaves I was iffy on the scent. The last shaves of that sample the scent really grew on me. After buying the jar and using it for awhile now, I absolutely love, love, love the scent.

Lather - 10 - MdC loves water and a slightly loaded brush whips up creamy, dense, and slick lather every time I face lather. In fact, I think the longevity of this soap is probably quite awhile which may also help on the $/shave basis.

Efficacy - 10 - I'll put this right out there. I'm a tallow and or lanolin guy. I feel I get superior shaves from those products. MdC contains neither. It doesn't matter, this stuff has the cushion of a cream and slickness of soap. I've tried over 40+ soaps/creams and have narrowed my den substantially of products that work and don't and have especially become critical of products since switching to a straight where I want maximum cushion and slickness. I reach for MdC quite often now, which says a lot considering the number of products I do own.

Moisturizing - 9 - Though it is not like Institute Karite which has insane moisturizing capacity, I've never had MdC leave my face feeling dry in the least.

Overall - Sample this soap before buying is a must. This product for me though has reached top 5 status along the likes of AOS, MWF, Cella and Valobra (notice it is the only non-tallow product on this list...). I'm quite happy about this purchase and when it runs out (if it ever does) it will get replaced immediately! Just think of this as buying 2 tubs of T&H or GFT Cream and there you go, you have it paid for. It will probably last longer than 2 tubs of those products anyway.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Marseille, France. It is exactly here that, in the end of the 18th century, the first modern soap was created. Great Master soap manufacturers introduced new, unique, magnificent formulas and started using innovative working methods never seen before. It was the beginning of a new Age… Only natural and selected ingredients were employed, and they were worked with techniques that, today, we consider “original, classic, traditional”. For the very first time a mix of pure vegetable oils (Olive, Coconut, Palm) was used, all raw ingredients treated with soda at very high temperature: this is the famous Marseilles saponification method. The soft soap paste so produced was pressed and put into a wood moulding and subsequently enriched with essential oils, natural fragrances and balms, added at the end of the cooking process. This soap paste was then properly cut creating the shape of soap bars, which were hand stamped or pressed into brass moulds. Finally, a particular attention was given to seasoning, with the soap bars left to dry in wood cases for a period of six/eight months. A period in which the soaps became highly refined and effective for gently cleaning the skin.
This process was first adopted in Italy by Virgilio Valobra, the greatest Italian Master soap manufacturer, who, in 1903, established the factory that still carries his legendary name.
And in France, where everthing began over two centuries ago, a new traditional soap factory, follower of the famous Marseilles saponification method, was founded in 1974: Martin de Candre. MdC soaps are today exactly how they were in the past: 100% pure and natural, no preservatives, no chemical additives, only essential oils. They are truly of the highest quality, just like the soaps produced by Virgilio Valobra. Or, to be more precise, they are even more unique, since you can buy them exclusively at the MdC on-line shop: http://www.savonnerie-martin-de-candre.ic-sites.com/. One of the renowned specialities of this French company, on which I obviously want to focus my attention, is the shaving soap. A traditional wet shave with the Martin de Candre shaving soap is a fantastic, great, marvellous experience. This amazing soap is housed in a beautiful 170 g glass round pot, with an aluminium lid and a Kraft labelling. It is also available in a small 50 g travelling pot and in a more sturdy wood bowl. For those who want more the factory offers even some limited edition, elegant, decorated glass bowls in different shapes. The price of this soap is high: € 34 for the standard 170 g pot, € 22.50 for the small 50 g pot, € 48.50 for the wood bowl and prices between € 15 and € 26 for the limited edition glass bowls. The good thing is that this soap is economic to use: in a few seconds and with a few swirls your brush is very well loaded. Therefore, I suppose, a 170 g pot should last over a year, with daily use. The scent is a fresh, unique and nice mix of lavender, mint and rosemary. A strong fragrance that sticks around during the whole shaving process. A real pleasure. Like other top shelf soaps (Cella, Valobra or Tabac) the latherability is exceptional, truly. With no effort you can easily build up a beautiful, creamy and dense lather. And what a lather! Super slick, super moisturizing, super rich. It sticks very well to the skin and my DE razor just glides wonderfully all over my face. After the shave I feel great. The overall quality and performance of this fabulous French product is, again, simply incredible. And what is really amazing is that this soap is a very simple soap, with only six ingredients listed! So how is all this possible? Where is the trick? Here is my answer: the exclusive use of pure and selected ingredients, the care in the manufacturing process and the desire to offer the very best, maintaining live the original formulas and working methods of the great European Master soap makers of the past. MdC shaving soap, proudly produced in the ancient style is, in conclusion, a true gem: 100% natural, expensive but economic to use, very easy to lather, very comfortable to shave with. Or, if you prefer, Martin de Candre shaving soap is simply one of the finest soaps available on the market today.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Reactions: Markdad2
I read a lot about this soap on another forum before I decided to bite the bullet and buy some. It's not cheap - but - it's economical. I see it as buying in bulk. The actual price per shave is probably the same as much cheaper soaps. A jar of this will easily last a year with daily use, if not more.

Shipping from France isn't cheap either - as much as the soap itself. It loses marks here. I was lucky enough to be visiting friends in Paris, so I decided to seek out a shop that stocked this soap.

I'm glad I did. This is my favourite soap to date, and I've tried a LOT of soaps. I would say Valobra stick isn't too far off in terms of pure performance. I prefer the scent of MdC and it does have the edge in terms of skincare afterwards. I don't believe any soap moisturises your skin, I think some dry more than others. This stuff is neutral, hence the 5.

Very thick, slick, and stable lather that is child's play to whip up. MWF - go to the back of the class. Really shaves well and leaves your face feeling great afterwards. :001_tt1:

Highly recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
It's my favorite soap :tongue_sm
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
When I heard that there was a French forum about straights, Coupe-Chou Club , I signed up, something would come out from there at least my learning, at that time I had no straight razor, just my merkur 33C, .... but finally I'll get one ,.... These French, always so attached to their products because they were good apostles of soap of Martin de Candre, but one of them was not agree to the fragance, so ... he sold his travel soap, which is the one I have now .... And now I understand that's not french chauvinism, it's taste for quality because this soap worth it.

1.Ingredients: Simple as could be, only has half a dozen ingredients, all quite familiar as you can see in the picture

attachment.php

The coconut oil is the key, I think, because this soap offers exceptional performance, but not so much for leading this oil but more by how they treat ,.... No soap is like this by this feature. Be careful this is not a coconut soap, only a soap that uses coconut oil.

2.Package: 5.
My travel pot is in glass, it seems bad for me because in a trip you can have a slight problem, drop a bag, etc ... and broke the glass jar, I would have preferred a metallic tin.

3.Lifespan: 10.
Well, I do not know how much it can last, I've used mine from 6 months and I just lowered 1 mm deep, and the scent and the lather has been improved more than even.

4.Load of soap: 10.
Martin de Candre is an example of economy, in 5-7 seconds of loading the brush you have enough soap. I don't know a soap as this, it gives an outstanding performance , that is what makes it economic ,.... these French know what they do when they say that is inexpensive, is really inexpensive in its use ,.... you only need a little amount of soap. Look at the pics bellow and the following, you will see that the jar has not changed, still with the same patches of lather, instead the brush WOW! look at this lather is fantastic, and the quantity is enoug for a comfortable shave

5.Lather ability: 10.
Amazing, like Tabac or La Toja, No initial spongy or watery lather, the soap passes from a fine creamy froth to a dense lather and cushioned in few brush swirls, leaving the pleasant feeling that how easy is to lather

6. water/soap ratio: 10.
Optimal, on a brush drained, only 10 or 12 drops of water are needed to obtain a comfortable lather, a bit greasy, lubricant and soft, cushioned, but dense.

7.Quality of the lather: 10.
The best vegetable soap lather that I know by far, it's mysteriously dense, in spite of using a little amount of soap, as you can see in the pics, the lather sticks very well to the skin and the straight glides easily, it's even needed to dry the skin with a towel in order to strenght the skin for the shaving because the lubrication... . the lather is kept moist, dense and lubricant such as Mitchell's Wool fat and not dries as Tabac, it remains lubricant and moisturizing during the shave ,.... who has not tried it do not know what is losing

8.Protection and glide of the blade: 10.
One of the best features of this soap is the glide, as well as Mitchell's or Valobra or Arko or even more, without excessive consumption of soap of those two. In this way, it's a good lather for the shave with straight razor because it sticks to the face very well and provides good lubrication.

9.Feeling in the face: 10.
It is dense, slightly shiny and oily, it sticks to the skin, if massaged, the lather gives us a nice thin layer.

10.Moisturizing and after-shaving feeling: 9.
Surprised by how good is the skin with a soap so simple, I do not understand, what is the secret? It's a nice soap from this point of view, although it seems that there are people that the fragance reacts on their skin, so "Savonnerie Martin de Candre" is preparing an unscented version for sensitive skin which prototypes have been distributed France with good results.

11.Scent: 9.
It is a powerful scent, soothing, smells like ....lavender and mint ? I think not .... it smells like lavender but with a spicy component, very soothing, from benzoin, a resin used to make incense that is in this fragance. The scent of the soap reminds me the balsamic notes of some red wines,.... I'm hooked by this scent, but I recognize that some people don't like the scent,.... especially if you are in sweet scents. The fragrance evolves, it is more soothing as time pass by, is better to let the soap drying for 24 hours after use, and leave it without cover, if not, the smell becomes more "organic" and less pleasant.

12.Price:
34 € for 170gr. The 19 € for postage to Spain make it too expensive, I expect to see if they improve that aspect

13.Conclusion: This soap rocks, very natural, easy to get, expensive, yes, but economic performance. One of the best shaving products in Europe without doubt, but it's a shame that a company like this do not see the true potential and has a better commercial attitude, because is only sold on its website savonnerie artisanale Martin de Candre, savons comme autrefois, procédé marseillais
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)