What's new

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Route du Vetiver

Item Description

Some people cannot stand broccoli or brussel sprouts. Both are bitter and awful tasting to these people. A gene in your DNA determines this. I'm guessing there is a vetiver-ish gene in my DNA. To me, vetiver is one of the more appealing scents there is or ever will be. You will not find broccoli or brussel sprouts in RdV, but I would be willing to wager that if you like brussel sprouts you will like the vetiver in RdV.

Some say black currants are nasty. Robins love them, and so do I. Black currants are tart and make for great preserves. Currants go well with savory dishes, and the vetiver in RdV.

Black currants and vetiver. There you have it. For me, a perfect pairing. Talk about evocative fragrances. I will not bore you with the details. Think July in Crawford County, Kansas. Rural.

I have 7 or 8 vetivers. I can line them up in terms of vetiver appeal. I will not go through that exercise now, but I will tell you that Route Du Vetiver is at the head of my list.

Opening vetiver with citrus is dicey. Guerlain works, sort of, but Guerlain is anything but organic. All city, nothing rural there. Creed Vetiver is saved by the ambergris, in my opinion. I do like the clean, soapy vetivers, but it is an approach that pales in the presence of RdV.

Some say RdV is smoky. I don't get it. I don't get smoky in Marlborough, either. Probably that genetic thing. This is organic, pure nature. Currants, rich damp soil, vetiver roots. This is not dry, not grassy, not powdery, not soapy, not clean. It is dirty, but not dark. The woodsy dry down does nothing to erase the black currants, let alone the vetiver. The jasmine and sandalwood serve to broaden the organic pairing in an unobtrusive manner. By that I mean, I still get black currants and vetiver the next day.

Top Notes: Black currant, leafy green accords
Heart Notes: Bourbon vetiver, precious woods, jasmine
Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk

Latest reviews

Initial earthy blast that the black currants quickly take over. Dry down becomes more vetiver and woodsy notes.

Silage is great. Fancy bottle, but my atomizer has a tendency to spin after spritzing, thus making 2 consecutive squirts in the same area almost impossible.

If you can get past the initial notes the dry down on this stuff is absolutely great. Really one of my favorite vetivers. Never got a chance to sample the vintage stuff, which is supposedly better, but I really like the current formulation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
Top Note: Blackcurrant, leafy green;
Middle Note: Bourbon vetiver, precious woods, jasmine;
Base Note: Sandalwood, musk

Fabulous blackcurrant top mixed with a green scent. This beats the berry scent of Creed's Silver Mountain Water for projection sillage. The sandalwood is promenent at the beginning and mixes well with the leafy green at the top. The fight between the blackcurrent berriness and the sandalwood and vetiver is like a clash of the titans. It's hard to see which will win. Together they give off a raw greeness and earthiness like that of Nicolai New York but even more EARTHY. It takes awhile for the vetiver to start winning the fight and when it does it's sweet and earthy. After that the woods come in it gives off more of a forest floor vibe and the jasmine makes this forest more magical. I like the berriness but I warn those who don't like berry. They will find this hard to wear in the opening notes. Make sure to wait for the drydown. If you want more green and citrus then go with Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire or Guerlain Vetiver. If you like Creed Silver Mountain Water or Nicolai New York then you should give this one a try. Also sandalwood lovers should try this because it's a good example of it. I think this great for colder weather but I can imagine this being a favorite in the early part of spring when the snow is beginning to thaw. I like vetiver extraordinaire more but for the price this is a great deal.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Some people cannot stand broccoli or brussel sprouts. Both are bitter and awful tasting to these people. A gene in your DNA determines this. I'm guessing there is a vetiver-ish gene in my DNA. To me, vetiver is one of the more appealing scents there is or ever will be. You will not find broccoli or brussel sprouts in RdV, but I would be willing to wager that if you like brussel sprouts you will like the vetiver in RdV.

Some say black currants are nasty. Robins love them, and so do I. Black currants are tart and make for great preserves. Currants go well with savory dishes, and the vetiver in RdV.

Black currants and vetiver. There you have it. For me, a perfect pairing. Talk about evocative fragrances. I will not bore you with the details. Think July in Crawford County, Kansas. Rural.

I have 7 or 8 vetivers. I can line them up in terms of vetiver appeal. I will not go through that exercise now, but I will tell you that Route Du Vetiver is at the head of my list.

Opening vetiver with citrus is dicey. Guerlain works, sort of, but Guerlain is anything but organic. All city, nothing rural there. Creed Vetiver is saved by the ambergris, in my opinion. I do like the clean, soapy vetivers, but it is an approach that pales in the presence of RdV.

Some say RdV is smoky. I don't get it. I don't get smoky in Marlborough, either. Probably that genetic thing. This is organic, pure nature. Currants, rich damp soil, vetiver roots. This is not dry, not grassy, not powdery, not soapy, not clean. It is dirty, but not dark. The woodsy dry down does nothing to erase the black currants, let alone the vetiver. The jasmine and sandalwood serve to broaden the organic pairing in an unobtrusive manner. By that I mean, I still get black currants and vetiver the next day.

Top Notes: Black currant, leafy green accords
Heart Notes: Bourbon vetiver, precious woods, jasmine
Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
kg0mz
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from kg0mz

Top Bottom