What's new

L'Occitane CADE Aftershave Balm

I bought the balm, the splash and the shaving cream. The balm was the best, the splash quite good, and the shaving cream terrible (and overpriced). This winter, the balm has been great in preventing burns from the cold as much as from shaving. I love the scent. I do apply some Jack Black moisturizer over the balm after it has settled in just for extra moisturizing in winter.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
One review noted that this did not seem to moisterize. This product has a relatively high percentage of shea butter. This tends to soak completely into the skin upon first application. If you put another application on, then it will seem too heavy as one reviewer noted.

I have found this to be a very nice product that refreshes the skin after a shave and protects it throughout the day.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I have used the CADE asb off and on for about a year now. This product has always rescued me when I get in a rush and get a little razor burn. Not only is it great at quelching the razor burn but, IMO, moisturizes as good or better than anything else that I have tried. Yes, the price is somewhat steep and it has a "old-lady" scent that my wife also commented about, but I think the positives greatly outweigh any of the negatives of this balm. In regards to its cooling sensation, I don't really feel that it gives any sort of cooling sensation (as compared to proraso and nancy boy's) but I don't want all of my balms to give that feeling...especially as I find this a great cool-cold weather aftershave balm.
EDIT: For what it is worth, I used a sample of this balm and it lasted for nearly 6 months with use of about 1-2x per week...So, while the price is high, it will probably last you quite a while.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
As stated, $28 USD for 2.5oz is pretty steep considering what it is. Quality-wise it's okay and does a good (bordering on great) job of moisturizing and fighting razor burn but the scent strongly reminds me of Grandma's cold cream, or as my wife calls it, "Oil of Old Ladies." Luckily the scent itself dissipates within the first half hour but then you're left with nothing at all. It really is a good moisturizer for cold weather so I just accept the scent for what it is. I tend to use this only on really cold days (below freezing) for the skin protection it offers but overall I much prefer Trumper's Coral Skin Food.
Jack
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is one of the very first A/S balms that I bought with my AD... I was very disatissfied with how it turned out. What got my goat is the fact that it neither cooled nor moisturized my face...I felt empty after applying it...In fact I thought that I hadn't used enough so I went back for seconds and just ended up feeling sticky. I know this is a well-made, quality product..but not for my face.

I traded it to a friend for some DR Harris Pink, and a small Coral Skin Food. If I were you, I would not lay down the money based on reviews, but I would order Scotto's Sampler and try them b4 you buy them.

Hopefully this helps...
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
L'Occitane CADE Aftershave Balm, is a great little aftershave. The scent is fantastic and similar to the splash, but IMO is a little more woodsy and the juniper is stronger, but not overpowering.
The moisturizing capabilities are up there with moderately priced moisturizers, so this one is great in the winter time, but may be a little too heavy for dog day summer use or those with oily skin. I have dry, sensitive skin myself so it's fantastic. It also makes a great accompaniment to their splash, which I find to a be light on the moisture scale, also it knocks out any of the alcohol burn lingering from the spalsh. It's such a good moisturizer that even on dry cold days after application, I find no need for a moisturizer.
One downside, is there is virtually no immediately cooling sensation, but with so much moisture after a few minutes it will provide the desired effect. Also at $26 for 2.5 oz. it's a little steep in the price department.
The quality and efficacy are both very high, but again, probably not ideal fro those with oily skin. It is also effective at fighting razor burn.
I would recommend anyone to go out and pick up this balm, even if it's just for winter use or application of the neck only to help soothe the easily irritated skin of the region.

Here's a link to the discussion thread, if you'd like to comment on this product without entering a review.
Top Bottom