What's new

L'Occitane CADE Aftershave Balm

Pros: Soothing, leaves skin feeling supple without greasiness
Cons: Not cheap
Generally, I've found pricey ASBs mediocre across the board, to the point that I've decided to stick to the stuff barbers used on me when I was a kid: witch hazel. Smells pleasant in its own subtle way, and does the job. And I was a happy little camper with this arrangement...until my Sig. Other got a shipment of goodies she ordered from L'Occitane for herself, which came with the usual "teaser" sample packets. They happened to include a sample of their Cade ASB, which she promptly tossed my way, "in case you're interested", she casually added. I put it next to my razor stand, just in case.

On my next shave, I decided to give the Cade sample a go, remembering the last sample I tried (Baxter), which was merely "okay", meaning not good enough to justify spending that kind of cash, but figuring that L'Occitane, given their overall rep, might be a little better than that. I was wrong: it's WAY better. From its wonderfully subtle (and lingering) scent, to its texture, to how it simply makes my skin feel right after applying, and hours afterward - the stuff lives up to its billing, which was sort of shocking given my disappointment with so many others.

Of course, the downside is that I am now enamored with an ASB priced solidly in the luxury-goods category, which isn't exactly my thing. At 34 bucks for a 2.5oz tube, this seems pretty spendy, but one mitigating factor is that, like the fabled Brylcreem, a little dab will literally "do ya"...in fact, you don't want to use any more than the tiniest dollop you can manage to coax from the tube. That two and a half ounces should go a pretty long way.

Highly recommended, albeit reluctantly. ;-)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: the scent and the healing power
Cons: cost
This is a very good ASB. The scent is marvelous and matches the soap (which IMO is not of the same quality). The ASB is able to provide a lot of comfort after a bad shave and does not leave the face feeling tight.

It can be a little greasy, and therefore, may not be suitable for humid climates, but is definitely the ASB to use in a dryer winter weather.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great scent that lasts long, very moisturizing
Cons: Price, too $$$ to use every day
I feel like a million bucks when wearing this stuff. And that makes it worth it, except that I tend to only wear on special occasions. The scent lasts all day. Drop the price by 10 bucks and I'd buy by the case.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Love Cade soap a lot. But this stuff sucks. Great scent, terrible ASB.

Too heavy, thick and greasy. Tried it put on thin, and it won't spread, use enough to do so, and it won't absorb, and doesn't have any soothing properties at all, in fact I found it irritating to freshly shaved skin, and I don't react to anything.

At least I got out cheap with one of their $5 samplers which last a good few weeks. Still got it, never use it. This stuff is $40 here in Aus for the regular size. So not worth it.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Stopped at L'Occitane to buy my GF a Valentine's present, and picked up a small tube for $12.00.

I like it! It does what it's supposed to do, and smells nice. Will definitely buy again.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
As others have said, the price is high. $29 currently for a 2.5 oz tube. Couldn't they have at least made it 3 oz? Anyway, it's not necessarily out of line with other products in the same range...it's cheaper than some and more expensive than others. Personally, I feel most of the middle to high end aftershaves and aftershave balms are overpriced and this is really no exception.

Quality is where I have to doc some points. There is just way too much stuff in here. The ingredients list reeks of a lab-engineered type of product. Frankly, there is simply no reason why they couldn't have made a similar product with less cosmetic chemicals and less ingredients period that would have worked just as well.

I don't get razor burn much these days and in general I feel most after shave products aren't really adept at fighting it. I did have a little razor burn on my chin one of the times I tested this, and it seemed to have a little bit of a soothing effect, but certainly nothing that was going to eradicate it. Overall, it's about average in this category. There is no real cooling sensation because this isn't a cooling type product.

The scent is pretty good, but could be better. Both the CADE soap and especially the CADE aftershave splash smell a bit better than this. This balm is sort of like a watered down version of the CADE scent mixed with a okay lotiony smell. Really, that's fine because I frankly do not want excess fragrance in my aftershave balm as it might irritate my skin.

This product works and moisturizes in an above average fashion but is not mindblowingly good enough for me to justify a repurchase when my supply runs out. As others have said, this really works best for the colder months and isn't something you'd want to use in the summer. I find that I don't need to use a whole lot. An amount the size of two or three peas is enough to cover my beard area and moisturize my face after shaving. The trick is to put it in the palm of your hand and let it soften up a bit with the warm of your skin. Then use your index finger to dab it on various places on your beard area and smooth it into your skin until it is absorbed. If you use too much, it will feel greasy. IME, the scent also tends to linger for at least 2-3 hours, if not longer.

Overall pretty good, but when I have access to other products to moisturize my face after shaving that cost a fraction of what this costs, and work just as well, I probably won't be buying it again.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
A great rich aftershave balm. This is super rich and buttery. Almost too much so in some situations but feels great.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I used the aftershave cream together with the cade shaving cream and I enjoyed the aftershave cream more than the shaving cream. The aftershave cream provides good moisture, but it leaves a greasy residue after I have aplied it, do not know if it is intended but it is definitely not something that has any value to me. As efficacy goes it clears up razor burn and provides great immediat relief after a DE shave. But the price tag is just not fair, when you are looking at a pretty average performing aftershave cream. The scent is too sweet and nociating, just not my cup of tea!
I do not know if I will recommend this one, it has far to many, "but" in it, regarding the products performance.....

Best Regards Michael from Denmark
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
So, to begin with I'll give you some facts about me. I have extremely sensitive skin and live in the most humid place in the universe (Orlando, Florida) and I have been on a mission to find an aftershave balm, and I believe this is a winner!

The price is an issue at $29 for 2.5oz., but check with the store for the 1oz. tube as it is $12, and I got one on sale for $5 and I believe it will last for months! The quality and efficacy is top notch and while others found it greasy, I would say that as long as you apply small amounts, it is perfect in any weather (humid or not!) The soothing factor for me is the most important part of shaving, and even Enchante didn't do it for me! Try the sample packs at the store for free and for God's sake try the Cade shaving soap ($10)!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Wow this is just a super balm, and the scent is awesome :w00t::biggrin:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I got a tube of this as a gift last week. Previously I was using Cade soap and really liked the woody scent. This balm has rapidly been becoming my wintertime go-to-balm. I love the scent and love the way it makes my skin feel. No alcohol burn, but I usually finish every shave with a witch hazel splash with has a bit of alcohol in it anyway. I find that I have to put a good amount on my face and that to make it work best, i do not over-massage it into my face - I just slather it on a bit and let it dry. I can still smell the woody juniper scent hours later. I will definitely buy this again when the tube runs out.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I love this stuff. So what if it's thick? It heals and soothes amazingly, better than Nivea Sensitive in my opinion. The only downside is the high price. Definitely a must-try for those with dry, sensitive skin.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Its great stuff.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Two words...WINTER BALM. This stuff is so thick, so heavy, and so greasy I don't see how anyone could use it anytime except the dead of winter. It's incredibly moisturizing but I don't have particularly dry skin and I live in Georgia so I just can't use this balm on a regular basis. It feels like I've got Crisco on my skin.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This was one I wanted to love but... the scent (birchy) is not my favorite (and my girlfriend calls it "old"), it actually has a little burning sensation on my skin (which is pretty sensitive, you are unlikely to get that), and it's not as effective at saving my face as my go-to balms.

That said, it's nothing like terrible, but you probably want to know what scent you're getting into before buying.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price- $28 for 2.5 ounces- ouch! (Although it is rather thick and a little goes a long ways!)

Quality- Great ingredients, nice subtle scent, high-quality product

Fights Razor Burn- This is one of those products that seal up your skin and then does its magic...

Efficacy- Works for me!

Moisturizing- Thick and packed with shea butter- doesn't get much more moisturizing than this

No alcohol burn- None to speak of

Overall- Great product- My go to favorite for the winters (Nancy Boy aftershave balm for the summer months)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

I am quite fond of this aftershave balm, however I feel it is best suited for winter, as the high shea butter content, as well as the long list of heavy skin moisturizers can prove to be a bit greasy for summers use. Fights razor burn admirably, moisturizes well, and proves to be a decent product, however it is not inexpensive!

displayimage.php
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I went into the L'Occitane store (Happens to be about 15 minutes from my house) and they gave me about 5 samples of this balm. After two uses I can say I absolutely love it. It goes on thick but not greasy and and the wonderful scent sticks around for quite a while.

Good Stuff.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Some of the ratings are N/A but rather than give low scores which could affect the total negatively I marked them up. The long and short of it is : For years I have been trying creams and soaps galore along with balms, moisturiser etc. The search is over. Not only is the Cade soap utterley magnificent, followed up with the cade balm it produced one of if not the best shave I have had in years. Calming and moisturising was absolutely spot on. Reasonably priced and a wonderful scent to boot. The Trumpers and T & H soaps and the enchante and aos conditioners have just gone in the tried but not used anymore box! If you want top notch products at reasonable prices, do yourself a favour and at least buy the soap and asb, as they would say...Je ne regrette rien! Incidentally I bought the soap in the aluminium bowl which my missus highly aproves of in our bathroom suite rather than the tatty wooden bowls of others and cheapo plastic pots. I also bought some of their youth moisturiser and a Sandalwood soap - both fabulous!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I really like the Cade range from L'Occitane and agree with other comments here that the shaving cream isn't up to much. The Cade aftershave and Eau de Toilette are really excellent but the Balm is the stand out product. Some here have suggested that it's greasy but I find that it is easily absorbed into the skin and calms my face down rapidly.

Any UK readers who visit the Bicester Shopping Village can go to the L'Occitane outlet shop and get a good deal on this stuff. Highly recommended.

I passed the L'Occitane shop in Solihull today and noticed that they've released a Cade 'Youth Cream'!!. They should have put some more work into their Shave cream instead.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)