What's new

Gillette Fat Boy

This is my third Fatboy, and this one ain't going anywhere. All 3 have delivered excellent shaves and are built like bank vaults. The price, here or on ebay can't be beaten for the quality of this razor. Adjustability is excellent, I wish the handle was just a little longer for my hand. That's the only thing that isn't perfect for me. I now have one with my birth quarter and it's a great shaver, always in the rotation. TTO so it's a dream to swap blades.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Once I purchased this one, for $12 US, I stopped trying my other ones.
I have 4 as of yet un-tested DE's.

It has become my daily shaver, as it seems to get closer, and with less irritation than the slim adjustable. However, the Slim is a faster shave, but with nicks.
I started with setting 1, and stayed with it like that for a few weeks.
After fiddling around with it, I discovered perfection.

Setting 3 for the WTG pass.
Setting 4 for the ATG and touchup passes.

BBS every time, using merkur, or personna blades.
Wilkinson Sword blades tore me up something fierce though.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
As a background to my review: I am mainly using a Merkur Futur and a Merkur 39c.

I bought this model a year ago, mainly based on the fantastic reviews I found here and elsewhere, also for just wanting to own an acclaimed vintage razor;but I find it not to be my favorite one.

Unquestionably, this model is great in terms of quality and user friendliness. Also I find it to be my most forgiving razor. Which is why I will keep it for those times, when I do not find sufficient time for a close shave, or sub optimum other conditions.

The shave itself is very comfortable, but as said, by far not as close as with the other razors I use; though this is not to say that the result is "bad". If I attempt to shave as close with this one, I tend to get skin irritations. After using it off and on for over a year now, I do not think I will for myself ever get the combinations of closeness and smoothness as with the other two.

There are enough comments comparing the adjustability of the Fat Boy and the Futur, which I can just agree to right here.

On the bottom line: I find this a good razor for beginners to start out on and experiment with the setting, also, a great second razor for the conditions I described above. For these I will occasionally continue to use it. But deginitely not my regular razor of choice.

Dirk
Amyn;144791 said:
The FATBOY is the BEST razor in my arsenal. The balance is outstanding. The head is very solid and suprisingly manuverable. The razor cuts hair with authority. I prefer using it over the Merkur HD. If they could only make somthing like this today. From day 1 this razor has given me a BBS shave each time I have used it.

I have 4 razors--
1-HD
2-slant
3 futur
4-fatboy
The fatboy I just bought from a kind member here is BY FAR the best
shaves I ever had
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
It's the one razor I perpetually come back to. Built to last and last, mine is an E4 1959 and it's in very good shape for its age. The shaves, even in the middle range of adjustability, can be a bit aggressive depending on the blade but that is generally a good thing with me due to my wiry beard. This is one razor with no flash or dash, it just gives good old-fashioned great shaves.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Not my favorite Gillette TTO but one of the top 5 for sure. Great razors built like tanks, will keep on shaving forever.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Although my daily shaver is a '52 Superspeed, I have a '61 Fatboy that I shave with about once a week. It's a completely different experience, and certainly slightly more challenging than the SS, but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

I love the weight and feeling of quality, and most of all love fiddling with it to coax it into giving its best possible shave. Just a unique, iconic, classic shaver.

It was also my least expensive Gillette. $25 off eBay, pristine condition with case. One just like it went for $261 the day before, though, so it's important to wait for a sensible deal and not get carried away with acquisition fever.

NANP™
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I got this razor in a trade and I couldn't be happier. I've used a Futur, 38C, Gillette Super Speeds and Techs and this is probably my favorite razor. To me it's the perfect balance between a heavy/long-handled razor and a small light razor. To me, it shaves wonderfully. And in my opinion, nothing is more cool to shave with.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I've been using this razor for the last 25 years or so (give or take due to fad obsessions over the years), and have found this razor to be a capable performer. Because I have used nothing but the cheapest blades and the cheapest soaps, I don't have much to offer the discerning B & B enthusiast, but the razor has worked very well for me. I only recently decided to get another razor (Merkur Slant Bar), mostly from reading reviews on this site.

My favorite part of the Fat Boy is the substantive weight and feel of quality about it. An enjoyable shave with this one!

I know I am a miserly reviewer, but I did give a 10 for price because my dad gave me the razor when I was first learning (although he did not teach me how to properly hold and use the razor). The price is quite reasonable, and I see plenty used (if cruddy) models in antique stores here in Kansas.

Best to all,

Ted
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I really enjoy using my Fatboy and it is now in serious competition with my Merkur HD.

I found it at a cluttered little antique shop for $5.00. If I read the codes correctly, it was manufactured in 1961, third quarter. It was grungy with old soap, stubble and dust. Cleaning it was simple, a long soak in 100% Simple Green followed by a scrubbing with a soft toothbrush, a pen knife to scrape out the green stuff in the nooks and crannies and some Lysol. It may not be as shiny as new, but only a little brass shows through the nickel plating. I like to regard that wear a testament to the quality of Gillette's engineering and manufacturing way back then. It's 50th anniversary is on the distant horizon and it shaves as well as a new razor.

I first tried a setting of 7, but that was way too aggressive. I am still trying to figure out if 3 or 4 is the right setting for me. At 3 I get a smooth shave. Four is even closer, but with the occasional nick.

Hey, life is all about choices.

I still prefer my HD because of the head feels a tad heavier, and it seems a tad easier to make the head do the cutting. That opinion seems at odds with other reviews, but as with so many comments here, YMMV. Still, if I could only use the Fatboy, I would have a very happy shaving life.

Now I want to find a few more.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
It is not for nothing that this is one of the most highly sought after vintage razors around. It was made in the days when quality meant something and Gillette led the world in mass producing shaving products of superb quality.

It is a solid, heavy, beautifully machined piece of engineering. Made of solid brass plated with a heavy nickel plating it was made to last and last it has. There is nothing "pretty" about this razor. To my mind, it is the shaving equivalent of a Harley Davidson. It is a big, solid, quality piece of machinery that does not need adornment.

It is fully adjustable from very mild to very aggressive and for that reason it can be made to suit just about every taste. It balances easily in one's hand and is easy to use. In terms of weight, to me it feels heavier in the hand than the Merkur HD or Slant, the handle is longer than the HD by about 1/4 inch.

The general advice from experienced users is to start off with it adjusted to "3" and after a few shaves, see whether one wants more or less mildness. That is good advice. I started with an ajustment of "5" given that I've been using a Merkur slant for a bit. I would have done better to start at "3" until I got used to the different weight and balance.

I have no caveats about this razor. Get yourself one.

One final note: if one has very large hands, this may not be the razor of choice, the handle is the standard 3 1/4 inches and there are men with very large hands who find that length of handle awkward. For those who do, the better choice may be the "slim" model which is very similar but with a slightly longer handle. And so while you're at it, get yourself a "slim" version as well.

Best.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The FATBOY is the BEST razor in my arsenal. The balance is outstanding. The head is very solid and suprisingly manuverable. The razor cuts hair with authority. I prefer using it over the Merkur HD. If they could only make somthing like this today. From day 1 this razor has given me a BBS shave each time I have used it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have to say I had my doubts when I ordered this razor on Ebay. But I will say that it gives very quality shaves equal to my Merkur HD. The blade replacement is a brezze with the "butterfly" doors. I remember using this razor back in the day and boy have I missed it. It has become part of my regular rotation and using a Derby is perfect. I am going to try a Feather blade when they arrive.

IMHO you will not be disappointed by trying the Fat Boy. You can obtain on E Bay for $22-$25.

Jeff
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I really enjoy the weight, balance and feel of the FB. I have several of them and have not had a bad shave with any of them. They can be found at reasonable prices from members and sometimes you can find a great deal in Ebay and your local antique shops. They are very easy to load and the adjustability can satisfy different shaving requirements. These razors were made to last a lifetime and I hope to pass them down to future generations.

Raf
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have a 59 fat boy also. I find that I get very good shaves with it. On par or maybe a little better than my slim adjustable. Adjustments are smooth and positive, ballance very good, haven't noticed any difference between sides.I feel that this is the razor I can stay with for 90% of my shaves. And I can highly recomend this one to anyone. Best of all the cost, $4 at a flee market.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Made to last. Incredibly popular in its day, plenty around so no need to pay too much. As with all adjustables it is best to refrain from opening her all the way up - set somewhere between 3 & 5 for an irritation free shave.

If you only want to buy one adjustable in your lifetime then this is probably the best bet.

Regards
John
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The adjustable range/blade exposure isn't there like a Merkur unless you 'soup up' the razor and over dial, I dont see any laceration potential when dialed in to 9 unless you're careless. I havent experienced the difference in blade exposure from side to side... I like this razor, if I had to pick an adjustable this would be in my top 3
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This isn't my favorite razor, but it's still great. I do, however, find the head to be just a touch too big for my liking, and the balance could be a bit better, but these are all just personal observations.
My model is an E1, '59, which should last at least another fifty years. These puppies are built like tanks. I wonder how much it would cost to produce and sell such a razor today?
I have settled on Feathers as the blade of choice, and find that I do much better on the lower (lighter) settings, usually a 3. If this were the only razor I could use for the rest of my life, I could certainly get by, and get some decent to fine shaves.
A true classic in every sense of the word, this is one that should be in everyone's collection.:thumbup:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
proxy.php

Price: Since these wonders are no longer available new, one must resort to on-line auction, antique store, flea market, or estate sale to locate one. I was fortunate enough to win this razor on ebay for under $30 with shipping included. The good deals are out there, you just have to be patient.

Quality: This razor was made to last. I am, at least, the second owner of this tool, and other than some minor wear marks, it is still in remarkable condition.

User Friendly: The only non-friendly aspect of this razor, is the fact that the blade exposure is mildly different on the two sides. I realize that this is not uncommon amongst adjustables, but I still refuse to accept that it is necessary.

Grip: Like its cousin the Merkur HD, this razor has a textured pommel and handle. This makes handling easy in all phases of the shave.

Ease of Blade Replacement: The "Butterfly Door" is the mother of blade replacement options. It is both safe and simple and it adds that little touch of hi-tech that can get a man all steamy in the boxers.

Aggressiveness: This is my one true gripe about this razor. When blade exposure is high enough to get a bbs shave, the laceration potential is at an unacceptable high.

Adjustability: Simple and safe. Gillette reached the pinnacle of their creative prowess (not to be confused with BS prowess) when they designed this razor.

Balance: The balance of this razor is very nice. The "Butterfly" head adds a little too much weight up top or the balance would be flawless.

Overall Quality: This is a good razor that was built to last. There are a few blemishes in overall performance of this razor that prevent it from being my favorite, however, I still like to use it on occasion. It provides a quality shave. I would recommend this razor to anyone who wishes to sample a little piece of the past and is willing to give up a small amount of performance in order to do so. Best of all, when not in use, this razor looks beautiful in the collection.
Top Bottom