What's new

Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel

I have the AS and the EDT version of this. I rotate this with Polo (green), Z-14, and Giorgio in the winter time.

Grey Flannel is great for those semi-cold and overcast days. The scent to me is very comforting and warm. As with with most fragrances... a little goes a long way and that certainly applies here.

Awesome stuff!! :thumbup1:
A quality fragrance, but too strong for my tastes (the healthy dose of violets smells too soapy on me). I prefer Eau de Grey Flannel myself, a completely different, light, metallic/aquatic summer scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
After reading stellar reviews, I gave it a go and found a 4 ounce glass bottle of grey flannel new for 14 dollars.

The price is unbeatable, as most fragrances in the realm of this quality are easily triple this--maybe even reaching the triple digits.

The packaging is simple, yet the glass bottle retains some of its timeless class. This also reflects the quality.

Scent--ah. When I initially opened the bottle, I was a bit dismayed. The smell was sooo strong and sharp, I thought to myself "im never going to use this". It's a bit out there.. (from the bottle). However, when I applied it earlier this morning, it was much more softer and subtle, just the way a scent should be IMHO. It smells good, really green, mossy, with some florals. Now I know why people love this stuff.

It lasts a good while, I faintly smell it 8 hours afterwards. Atomizer works well.

Overall: Very good for the price
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I used to wear this in college and recently picked up a 4oz bottle for a mere $12, so cheap it's hard to believe. There is nothing else out there quite like this...instantly recognizable. It goes on with a very sharp, almost metallic blast, very green, very strong, and very violet. It settles down to a mossy floral with really good longeivity. Perhaps a little dated, but if you didn't know it back in the 80's it will smell nothing like anything you have smelled before, and may be just the antidote to the watery aquatics of today. A lot of folks seem to get lavender out of this, but it's not listed and I don't smell it. Nice bottle, atomizer and packaging for something so cheap. Everyone should at least try it once.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Picked up a 4 oz bottle of the AS and EDC from walgreens in a gift set after christmas for $10.00. NICE!
I just got mine in the mail and put some on and keep sniffin' at it to see how it opens up. I put mine in an atomizer and I would be fine with 1 spray, but put on a few to see its bouquet. I choose and like to wear very woodsy and earthy scent and if this didn't have the mossy greenery side to it I might not like it because it would be too floral feminine for my own taste. This is definitely not lavender, but violet forward. I just shaved with AOS lavender and they go great together. Just think of the color purple and the autumn. Very tranquil, contemplative and relaxing. It starts off very strong, without too much of an alcohol hit with some light citrus and floral violet. As it mellows the violet becomes a little less dramatic, and the moss/oak/green/powder comes out and the scent becomes a little more manly. For such a cheap price, I feel this is a pretty complex scent though the violet stays the same, but it does take you through the top/middle/bottom notes. This is my first step away from woodsy colognes and it is opening my eyes. My next purchase will be a dark rose scent of some sort. I will definitely wear this through fall/winter/part of spring, but don't think it would work in the summer. I suggest this to any collector :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
To me, this is a must try for male fragrance fans. I am of the opinion that this was in no small way the inspiration for Green Irish Tweed.

There are some similarities in the notes; most notably the violets and the sandalwood.

But too, look at the names: Color- Grey/Green; Fabric- Flannel/Tweed.

This is a great, classic scent. It can be a bit strong by today's standards, but when has that stopped any wet shavers from wearing what they want.

I "discovered" it in the early 80s and I'm due to get another bottle soon. It's been awhile.
A fantastic bargain scent to boot.
Grey Flannel

Top Notes
Violet, Lemon, Orange.

Middle Notes
Oakmoss

Base Notes
Sandalwood

This one wowed me from beginning to end. The opening notes give you a fabric greenlike scent (Flannel maybe?). The violet really takes the lemon and orange and makes seem like fabric. The oakmoss sends you on a green ride for a while and the sandalwood is light and enjoyable. This is comparable to Creeds Green Valley but I prefer Grey Flannel. Anyone who likes Grey Flannel should give Green Valley a shot if they haven't done so already. This is long lasting and classic. I feel like this is for people who like old fashioned and classic scents like Old Spice or Green Irish Tweed. This is like some "pant wearing, tie wearing, Mad Men 50s kind of guy" scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I have been wearing this since a Lady at Dillards told me you look like a Grey Flannel man. That was back in 1986 and I have not be with out in my den since. It is not one of my wifes favorites until it gets a chance to settle down.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I may have found my holy grail.

I've always been skeptical of Grey Flannel, mainly because it's a '70s fragrance with an offbeat reputation. Basenoters are pretty divided on it, and there's no shortage of those who claim to "wrinkle their nose" and try to "wash it off" upon first trying. Then there's those who swear by it, or claim it's a nice once-in-a-while scent for a rainy day, that sort of thing. This doesn't really do much to set it apart in the land of reviews.

Except for one thing: Grey Flannel is the FIFI Award winner of '76. That's no small potatoes. Often cited as a "woody" cologne, I disagree; the notes in this fragrance, at least on my skin, offer up far more floral elements, with strong traces of moss in the background. Your experience may differ of course. But this is what a floral for men should, IMO, always be like, nothing more, nothing less. I've been looking for a great floral, and I've found it.

I've read comments regarding lavender in Grey Flannel, which I don't get at all - it's mostly violet, oakmoss, and a touch of lemon. Very violet-forward, very purplish in its florals, this is pure, deceptively complex, and sophisticated. Don't let its presence in Walgreens fool you. There's no comparing this to Cool Water or Polo. Well, maybe Polo, but not really.

Also this is the cheapest in my small staple of (now) 5 colognes. $25 for a 4 oz bottle, yet somehow already my favorite. Sometimes with subsequent smellings I cool on fragrances, but other times I just know - like when I first tried Allure Homme in 1999 - that something is going to be permanent.

The packaging is classy, with the nice grey cloth bag, all tied up, and a glass bottle (I thought at this price point it would be plastic). Longevity is tremendous, at least 6 hours, but certainly more. The atomizer is fine. If you're a lover of contemporary aquatic, powdery, sweet fragrances, you'll probably not like this.

Grey Flannel is a keeper for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
D
A must have budget cologne. Always available at Mashall's/TJ Maxx/etc for $10-15 a bottle. At that price it is an easy buy. The scent is unlike anything else and very interesting.

Definitely a fall/winter scent. I don't use it much during the warmer months. Goes great while wearing a thick wool coat and trying to stay warm.

Cheers
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
A staple in my cabinet.
Dear friends,

super! Just I love it and sometimes I buy it 'cause I like this perfumery, it seems that an old england taste!
I think I use this scent because I grew up with my father using it and so it just stuck with me. It is not the greatest but it works well for a professional environment at work. Not too strong of a scent to be over powering for people, but still strong enough to let someone know you mean business.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I didn't realize this was the scent of VDH shaving soaps until a couple of days ago. I always loved the smell of VDH so I picked some of this up. Got a small bottle at Walgreens and I love it. It doesn't smell as good on first application but after dry down it is fantastic, with a clean soapiness quality to it. I can't get enough of it. If you like the smell of VDH shaving soaps you might like it too.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
i bought this in 1985 and today is still is one of the best scents...i tried them all and this one is still up there
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I have been trying out Grey Flannel today for the first time. I have to say, it's really an amazing scent. It has a much more natural creamy floral violet scent than Fahrenheit. I used to love Fahrenheit but I eventually decided it was a smell that I liked smelling rather than something that I wanted to smell like.

Grey Flannel opens with a big natural floral smell that to me carries a strong violet note but also a creamier white floral scent that is unusual in men's fragrances.

The whole thing is carried along by a very soapy scent a little reminiscent of Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme though stronger.

Then there is a strong, almost separate combination of oak and mossy ferny greenery that keeps catching you by surprise.

It's a very powerful scent. I'm not sure I would be willing to wear it every day but it's certainly impressive and for those who are looking for a violet scent, it's very good indeed.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
Never heard of this until recently. Got it at a bargain basement price from Marshall's in a cologne and after shave gift set.

It goes on acrid and very citrus, and my first instinct was to get it off as quickly as possible. It smells like an out of tune trumpet section.

After a short period of time, it settled down considerably, and became a much more pleasant scent. It smells kind of mossy and woodsy, with the floral/citrus notes still there.

A little is a lot with this stuff. In fact, the line between enough and too much is easy to cross. Also, I am careful to put it on about a half hour before I get where I'm going.

I was surprised to find it's been around since 1976. The Basenotes site lists Sandalwood as a base note, with the middle being mossy and the top being citrus. About what I found, but the Sandalwood was a surprise to me.

It's certainly not sensual, and I think it's OK for weekday use. I'm not sure that I'll like it as well in the Summer.

It stays with me through the morning, about six hours.

Good stuff that's moved to the drugstore ranks.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
This stuff still smells pretty good!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
I've used this cologne for years. Great stuff! And my wife loves it as well.
Top Bottom