What's new

Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel

Item Description

I'm surprised this one hasn't been reviewed yet, but I know there are a bunch of you Grey Flannel fans out there :tongue_sm

I'll admit, I hadn't worn it very often until just recently. When I was about 13 or 14 (ten years ago), a tiny bottle came along in a stocking stuffer along with Cool Water, Halston Z-14 and Nautica I believe. That miniature had only been used a few times, so I decided to give it a fair go and I'm glad I did. I think my bottle has aged a little, I sniffed a new bottle in the store and my mini bottle smells a bit different and is not nearly as sharp and nose-stinging.

As far as commonly available drugstores fragrances go, it's pretty hard to beat Grey Flannel if you're a lavender fan like myself. According to Basenotes, there is no lavender in the top notes, but that's certainly a dominant note upon application. The initial burst is that of VERY strong woodsy lavender and citrus, you may want to consider putting it on 15-30 minutes before leaving the house.

The drydown, however, is much more tame and nose friendly. Herbal, green and woodsy along with the ever-persistent lavender (maybe violet?). You oakmoss fans will love this, as well. Finally, the base dries into dry woods with the lavender still faintly yet confidently in theb background. The complexity of this stuff is pretty impressive for such a low-cost fragrance.

Staying power is excellent. If I dab a little on my shirt collar and chest, it's there all day and I can still smell it on my shirt the following morning. The packaging is very plain and old-school, which I appreciate. At around $15-20 for a big bottle, it's a classic that is definitely worth trying. More suited for cooler months, but very light application can be used in the Spring, as well.

Worth a shot if you like lavender.

Here's the discussion thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=897849#post897849

Latest reviews

I have the AS and the EDT version of this. I rotate this with Polo (green), Z-14, and Giorgio in the winter time.

Grey Flannel is great for those semi-cold and overcast days. The scent to me is very comforting and warm. As with with most fragrances... a little goes a long way and that certainly applies here.

Awesome stuff!! :thumbup1:
A quality fragrance, but too strong for my tastes (the healthy dose of violets smells too soapy on me). I prefer Eau de Grey Flannel myself, a completely different, light, metallic/aquatic summer scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
After reading stellar reviews, I gave it a go and found a 4 ounce glass bottle of grey flannel new for 14 dollars.

The price is unbeatable, as most fragrances in the realm of this quality are easily triple this--maybe even reaching the triple digits.

The packaging is simple, yet the glass bottle retains some of its timeless class. This also reflects the quality.

Scent--ah. When I initially opened the bottle, I was a bit dismayed. The smell was sooo strong and sharp, I thought to myself "im never going to use this". It's a bit out there.. (from the bottle). However, when I applied it earlier this morning, it was much more softer and subtle, just the way a scent should be IMHO. It smells good, really green, mossy, with some florals. Now I know why people love this stuff.

It lasts a good while, I faintly smell it 8 hours afterwards. Atomizer works well.

Overall: Very good for the price
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
OldSchoolYoungin
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from OldSchoolYoungin

Top Bottom