What's new

Creed Bois du Portugal

Top-notch scent. Unique, sophisticated, and well balanced: sweet, floral, and some leather. Very pricey, and could be a little more potent.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
This is a very classic masculine scent that is at home in any enviornment and on any occassion. The predominate note upon application to my nose is the bergamot followed almost immediately by lavender. The drydown is where this Creed shines. The woods really shine and come through with just intoxicating wafts of cedar and oak riding on a warm ambergris base. The longevity is excellent. As with all Creed's the price is high but in the 8 oz. flacon the price starts to get very reasonable indeed for a fragrance of this quality and class. Indeed at the Creed boutique B&M in NYC this can also be purschase in 500ml bottles for slightly less than $500. Not the most complex fragrance out there but what is there is sustantial and unforgettable. My favorite fragrance by a wide margin.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Creed's Bois is, in two words, pleasantly boring. Cedar, some oak, varying moss accords and an uplifting citrus on top. Not much else. Perhaps a classic wet shaver's fragrance, but for my money, I would much rather attack those around me with something challenging, like Kouros, or Quorum, which are arguably just as masculine, and for less than half the price. The bottle is beautiful with its new green label, and the juice is smooth and manly, with a classic Creed atomizer that dispenses an ounce of liquid per spray. I guess if I shaved more than once a week and needed something to compliment my 4711, Bois du Portugal would get serious play. I'm just not that kind of guy.

Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I have my own issues with sandalwood scents. I believe I am somewhat scent blind to sandalwood after a few minutes.

But this one is a classic, manly, traditional scent. If there is a Creed that every B&B boy should check out, this is probably in a tie with GIT (discounting Tabarome since it's discontinued).

A big beautiful lavender blast right out of the bottle followed by a great sandalwood dry down.

Originally issued in the late 80s, this rapidly became THE boardroom scent. It still holds up as a fantastic "power" scent.

A must try for B&B guys. Vertigo's notes above are right on. This is a fantastic scent for work.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Top Notes: Bergamot
Middle Notes: Lavender
Base Notes: Cedar, sandalwood from Mysore, vetiver and ambergris

At the top you get a shot of bergamot but it's pretty quickly softened by the lavender. As the basenotes enter into the picture you get a nice cedar which is more prominent than the sandalwood and vetiver, (though if you breath deeply you will notice the vetiver note) and as usual the ambergris warms up the proceedings. This is a heavenly scent and easily one of the best Creeds. What makes it's so great is the interplay of the different notes that sometimes reminds me of fresh maple syrup (more dry less sweet) when all the notes mix together. This has good longevity and can be worn in any situation and can could be used at work daily. This may not be as youthful a scent but if you're over 30 I don't see the problem. Really good stuff. If you don't like the heaviness of Royal English Leather or the sweetness of Acier Aluminum then this is a great alternative.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Bois du Portugal is certainly a high quality, refined scent, but perhaps I am too callow and unappreciative to enjoy it. I found it to be too smoky and too strong for my rather puritanical scent taste.
I've been using this for over a year and it blows away anything else I've tried. It has a lot of complexity from the Tobacco/Leather opening to a softer sweet lavender vetiver dry down,. It has tremendous staying power but once dry down occurs, it stays close to the skin and doesn't announce itself to everyone in the room. Try spraying a tiny amount on your wrist and giving it a whiff during the day and you'll see what I mean.

Most perfumes and colognes give my wife an instant headache. This one does not which I attribute to the quality of the ingredients.

"Expensive" is relative. You don't shower with it - one very light spray is plenty. In this case you absolutely get what you pay for (and more).

While this is a very classy fragrance, I don't think of it as old school or formal. It can be worn anywhere.

Not for those who like light, sharp, floral or citrus scents. This is very deep and complex.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Bois du Portugal is not, to my nose, the ultimate expression of masculinity, elegance and sophistication. To me it is a linear scent, easy to over spray with few, but powerful notes. I was not impressed by it and it is not that I do not like this genre. Take Guerlain Heritage for example. Much more complex, with an outstanding evolution, every bit as natural and made with superlative quality as the creed. The good news, you can get it for as little as 30 usd out there.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
My favorite Creed. I was introduced to Creed via the more marine scents like Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water and the suntan lotion smelling Virgin Island Water.

This stuff smells like a man. Mens' club leather chairs and the like. Terrific staying power on me. Now I understand the 'Creed' cachet.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I don't mind spending coin on a good scent. This scent is nice but not quite worth the money.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Having atleast sampled the majority of the other popular Creed fragrances for men, this may very well be the only one I am crazy about :tongue_sm.

Little boys need not apply. This juice is extremely masculine, and it has the unique characteristic of being able to smell good on a woman at the same time. Another vote for it's versatility as well, suitable for any occasion.

It's fairly intense at first, with a burst of fresh lavender and leather. This eventually dries into a very prominent spicy leather finish, with a bit of powder and vetiver thrown in.

It's really a beautifully done fragrance and is very complex. It also has the positive habit of permeating the clothes, but this means to be more modest in application. Longevity is excellent, much to the chagrin of most other Creed frags.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Texican;447448 said:
As Doug said, Bois du Portugal smells of old (but good) money! It is also just one of those colognes that is very versatile. To use music in an allegory, I can see myself wearing it at a party with my friends with old vintage Mariah Carey playing in the background, or wearing it to liturgy while singing the prokeminoi responses, or snuggled up with my wife in front of a fire and listening to Cannonball Adderly. It's that flexible.

The only bummer is the price. This is some expensive juice. And like most Creeds, its lasting power doesn't fit its price.

Gotta agree with it's flexibility. This is just as at home at a Black Tie formal as it is while wearing jeans and a sweater to your kid's ball game. Definitely gets attention in any environment due to its wonderful sillage. When undecided as to what kind of impression you want to make it is a sure go to. You simply can't go wrong. Very spendy, but then again, most desirable possessions are...
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
As Doug said, Bois du Portugal smells of old (but good) money! It is also just one of those colognes that is very versatile. To use music in an allegory, I can see myself wearing it at a party with my friends with old vintage Mariah Carey playing in the background, or wearing it to liturgy while singing the prokeminoi responses, or snuggled up with my wife in front of a fire and listening to Cannonball Adderly. It's that flexible.

The only bummer is the price. This is some expensive juice. And like most Creeds, its lasting power doesn't fit its price.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Bois du Portugal smells like wealth, sophistication and power. This is currently my favorite scent. I received a decant for Christmas, and I loved it from the first spray. It is spicy and woodsy, but the edge is softened by a powdery note. There is frankincense tucked into the dry down as well. It is long lasting even on my sillage slaying skin. A great winter and evening fragrance. The only drawback is the price tag.
Doug
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power