What's new

Bic Sensitive Disposables

Item Description

As I see it, the Bic Sensitives have the following virtues:

* They're single-bladed.

* They're sharp.

* They're consistent. I never had a bad one.

* Their edges last (a week for me).

* The corners of the blade are proteced by the plastic housing. No nicks under the nose.

* They're ubiquitous (even internationally); every drugstore and grocer has them. You don't have to order them on the Internet.

* They're so well designed that shaving with them is intuitive and automatic. It's hard to screw up using them.

* You can take them in your carry-on airplane luggage.

* They're dirt cheap.

* You don't get attached to them. If you lose one, or an entire package, you don't feel like you lost a friend.

* If you're ecologic-minded, you can dispose of them in the recycle bin; I do.

* You obviate the risk of cutting yourself when changing blades.

On the other hand, the Bics have these weaknesses:

* They look cheap.

* You don't get attached to them.

* You don't get the emotional satisfaction you get when you hold a finely-crafted piece of metal.

I've been shaving for over a half-century. I learned on Gillette Super-Speeds, Schick Injectors, and Gem single-edges. I've played with virtually every bonded-blade, blade cartridge, and disposable, and I've revisited prime-quality double-edge razors. In my experience, nothing gives me as predictable, as safe, or as good a shave as a Bic Sensitive disposable.

For me, if the decision on what to use to shave is made purely on cold and logical grounds, there is no justification to shave with anything other than Bic Sensitives. Using a beautifully made double-edge razor or a straight razor may satisfy the aesthete in you and make the shave experience emotionally satisfying, but on my face, I prefer the Bic.

Bic Regular disposables (white handle) and Bic Metal disposables (black handle) don't work for me; they leave me bloody.

Latest reviews

Pros: Inexpensive Single Blade For Travel
Cons: Not As Close A Shave As I Get With A DE
Late last year I did a review of the Bic that was negative. After some continued use I find that I have to do a "Mea Culpa" and submit this revision.

The Bic will do an acceptable job so long as the user understands that the Bic head is shaped like an injector and needs to be held against the skin surface like an injector- not a DE. That was the cause of my prior issues.

It doesn't give as close a shave as a DE- at least not for me- but it works fine for a travel bag.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
0.00 star(s)
I'll keep this review short and sweet. I've used this razor while traveling because I couldn't bring DE blades in my carry-on. I thought it may be a workable alternative rather than maintaining and using a multi-blade razor setup on the road.

This razor is very light and very mild so it is hard to screw up your face but it encourages the user to add pressure while shaving which we all know is a no-no.

It is inexpensive so I don't mind using it once and tossing it. That being said I only get one passable shave from these little guys. I can go ATG and it comes close to DFS without any irritation which is good but if I pick this up on day two it pulls and tugs like a Merkur blade.

This is my razor of last resort. If there is nothing better I'll use it but I won't enjoy it.:glare:
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
1.00 star(s)
D
Be sure that it says BIC SENSITIVE on them. Not the generic brand. There is a huge difference. The bic ones have a head shaped like a DE. The generic versions have a crap shape. The BIC ones have a good sharp consistant long lasting smooth blade. The generic ones do not. The BIC ones I recommend as the best disposable. The generic ones I don't.

Item information

Added by
Pogo
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
0.15 star(s) 27 ratings

More in Safety Razors (Reviews)

Top Bottom