What's new

Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel

Back in my cartridge-razor days, when I first began to wonder why I always got such lousy shaves, I started by replacing my regular foam with this stuff. Nice scent, improved lubricity, and somehow seemed to soothe my skin compared with the regular $1-a-can stuff. I quit using it when I started wet shaving, but it's probably the best stuff you can buy in a pressurized can.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
So, I have extremely (legendarily) sensitive skin and really like Aveeno's moisturizing lotions. I prefer others, sure, but I trust their ability to make a quality product.

Unfortunately, they really let me down this time.

Price: Slightly more expensive than the typical mass-produced gel but still good nonetheless.
Quality: It lathered well enough to start but after applying it to my face, I didn't feel . . . anything. This isn't too important, though, so I let it slide. From the moment I began shaving, I felt drag and discomfort. I tried with different razors, even, but no dice. Afterward, I was nicked, burned and bumpy . . . something I hadn't felt in years with a traditional cartridge razor, an electric razor or since my switch to a DE.
Scent: Nothing memorable but certainly not offensive.
Latherability: Typically, canned gels seem to explode out of the can into a shapeless mass. I was pleasantly surprised by the Aveeno and the brush really held the whip well.
Efficacy: I do not believe my results were part of its intention.
Moisturizing Properties: I felt rough, dry and scratchy after using this product. Ironically enough, the product I used to save me from greater discomfort was made by Aveeno.
Packaging: It's a regular shaving gel can. Well, to be fair, I do like Aveeno's colours but . . . what can I say?

Okay, so my original rating (in an MS Word file I've been keeping) was a 1 out of 10!). I'll end with this caveat, in case some of you think I received a bad batch: My wife claimed the product for her own, since my experience with this coincided with the end of one of her shave gel canisters. She assured me that the gel seems to do its job for her and, in a cruel twist of fate, she feels it's a vast improvement over all previous gel products. Go figure!

I'll end this review in the most appropriate manner possible: YMMV.

----------

edit: In case anyone wonders (yeah, right) since I've elsewhere stated my problems with Derby blades, I tried this gel with them and one other (Astra, which have been wonderful) for a week in a misguided attempt to correct for small sample size. The result was the same, or at least very similar. I'm sorry but I refuse to try again since the healing process takes a few days!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
best gel in a can
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
this product is awesome, is also great for both M& W, and can be used for all types of shaving, has excellent razor-glide, moisturizes well after you wash it off, but I am not a huge fan of the almond scent
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I wanted to like this. Keep in mind, I was using this stuff when I had poor shaving technique, and no access or experience with good shaving products. This can did leave a rust ring, for the record. Lather ability was par for the course, and actually almost every other stat was too. I find the scent to be like the smell of latex rubber gloves. That is not a good scent for me. This stuff will do the job I suppose, and I ever I was forced to shave via can, I might pick this one over the barbasols of the world, but in truth, that is a heck of a rock and a hard place. I hate gels in general, for a seemingly ice cold application (cold+shaving=ouch for me). This one does have some decent moisturizing properties, but so does petroleum jelly and water.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Excellent canned gel

Plus, has a nice almond scent
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
After using Aveeno's various skin lotions which were always good for winter dry skin due to indoor heaters, I bought myself a can of this stuff. Though I've progressed to shave soaps, I still would buy this Aveeno product again if I had to. I think is it especially good for men who get dry face (the kind where it itches). The moisterizing properties are supreme and it just leaves your face feeling soft. I can remember how good the laterability was but it was good enough. It doesn't lather up that well with a brush if I remember, but that was with the boar hair. Try lathering with the badger and see what it does. I can remember if it was this can or the Neutrogena can that alway left the round rust mark whereever you set it down. The Aveeno is a little price for caned cream, but I think its a good deal when you compare it to your regular can creams. You can find it now in almost every shaving section of your drugstore or supermarket. There are other shave creams by Aveeno that I have not yet tried. But this one is an execellent. one.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)