What's new

May Have Finally Found the Proper 10mm

21A5FCEC-6514-4905-B395-CD3AB6BDF7BB.jpeg
Been dawdling and waffling about getting one of these for a long time. I think I have finally found the right one. Not sure about the grips but that’s an easy enough fix. I guess it’s a good start to the new year.....

Good question. I still have to get it. Such things take a lot of time and consideration with me. I’m just happy I found one that looks like it will work for me.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nice Ruger Acme. I have had my sights set on a Glock 20 in 10 mm for some time. But I think I might go ahead and get the Glock 40 MOS with 6.02 inch barrel and RMR red dot.

I probably would immediately send it off for an aftermarket grip reduction. And aftermarket barrel with threads.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So @Acmemfg, what about the Ruger makes it the one for you? The 1911 platform or something else? I agree those grips would have to go.

@OkieStubble , are you thinking compensator or suppressor with the threaded barrel?

Really wanted a full size 1911, and I have four pistols in .45 ACP already. No need for another and the 10mm has intrigued me for a long time.
Price is always an issue. I can get this for $849.00.
The earlier SR 1911 10mm models had funky Bo Mar style sights I simply couldn’t warm up to. This one comes with Novak style Tritium sights which I have always liked.
The bull barrel and full length guide rod
should reduce recoil, always good.
Supposed to be quite accurate right out of the box. Also good
I have had excellent luck with Ruger and their products have all worked well with me over the years.
Indeed...the grips won’t last long.

A 1911-gun is an elegant way to do the the satisfying 10mm cartridge. You did well acmemfg.

You will likely find that, internet recoil reputation aside, the 10mm in your pistol doesn't recoil any more than a .45 chambered 1911-gun fired with a full-power 230 grain load.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
That SR is a fine-looking 1911 & being a Ruger, well, you just know that it’s going to be tougher than a $2 steak (in a good way!) ... and those Novak rears, they are just downright sexy. While those grips don’t necessarily cause me any angst, that take down pin/tool* does ... I’d probably keep a paper clip or two in my pocket ;-))

Once Kimber rose above that full-size 1911 external-extractor foolishness of theirs, I picked up a 10mm EC2 and concur with noelekal in that a “1911 is an elegant way to do the satisfying 10mm cartridge”.

*Take down pin @ 3:40-ish into the video:

No worries about grips. I still have a brand new set of OEM Ruger rosewood grips from my SR1911 Commander sitting in the safe.
Thinking I see making a few of those retention pins right from the get go.
Also got double lucky today.
I wanted a Milt Sparks 55BN Holster for this one (uncommon stray from my usual Sam Andrews/Ryan Grizzle choice) just because.
It simply looks correct. Sadly the wait is 14-20 weeks. No bueno.
But..... Seems they had ONE in stock for a 5” 1911. Built for a 1 1/2” belt.
FBI tilt. In horsehide even!! On its way tomorrow.
Life can be good.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
No worries about grips. I still have a brand new set of OEM Ruger rosewood grips from my SR1911 Commander sitting in the safe.
Thinking I see making a few of those retention pins right from the get go.
Also got double lucky today.
I wanted a Milt Sparks 55BN Holster for this one (uncommon stray from my usual Sam Andrews/Ryan Grizzle choice) just because.
It simply looks correct. Sadly the wait is 14-20 weeks. No bueno.
But..... Seems they had ONE in stock for a 5” 1911. Built for a 1 1/2” belt.
FBI tilt. In horsehide even!! On its way tomorrow.
Life can be good.
Horsehide! Life is good.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Horsehide +55BN = pure goodness! I have a 55BN for my SIG 229, unfortunately not horsehide. Good holster!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'd want to shoot the gun without a comp on it before looking into one, don't know I'd use one except for a race gun, but then again, who knows. Not sure that I'd be looking to suppress one, either. It would seem that a subsonic load would be required to make a suppressor worth while and I would think that would be at odds with why one would shoot a 10mm to begin with. But I'm surely not a suppressed weapon expert nor a 10mm expert. There very well may be issues I have not considered. My primary suppressor experience is with subsonic .22LR guns. I'd love to have a suppressed .45 ACP though.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'd want to shoot the gun without a comp on it before looking into one, don't know I'd use one except for a race gun, but then again, who knows. Not sure that I'd be looking to suppress one, either. It would seem that a subsonic load would be required to make a suppressor worth while and I would think that would be at odds with why one would shoot a 10mm to begin with. But I'm surely not a suppressed weapon expert nor a 10mm expert. There very well may be issues I have not considered. My primary suppressor experience is with subsonic .22LR guns. I'd love to have a suppressed .45 ACP though.

While I would use the Glock 40 for target shooting and maybe game hunting, I think it would mostly be a designated bear gun. So I would think a Compensator on the end of it's 6 inch barrel would make it even more controllable for even better accuracy?

Top Bottom