What's new

Magnet for yard clean up

We are doing a yard clean up and I was thinking about getting a 3’ magnet to drag the yard with. Lots of nails, screws, old welding rods laying all over and causing flat tire problems. I was thinking about attaching the magnet to a set of harrows (behind the harrows). It would pick up what was loosened when we drag. My question is: would the magnet loose some of its power if attached by metal brackets to the harrows? I figure there are lots of smart people hanging out here. I have done some googling but not getting much info. Any ideas?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I think as long as your not damaging the actual magnet or obstructing it, you'll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply KeenDogg. I planned on the magnet sitting on two pieces of 3/8” thick flat bar 3” wide. Flat bar being bolted to back row of the harrows. Magnet would be about 1 1/2” off ground. I know not much will get picked up in the two spots where magnet sits on the flat bar but it seems like it will ride there without falling off and we won’t be travelling very fast. Just was curious if I am loosing some of the magnetism when attached to all the metal.

Big. It is the roadway and storage part of the yard around our shop. A person with a metal detector would be there for a long time but would work for sure. Thanks

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have done some googling but not getting much info. Any ideas?

image_17692.jpg

Magnet sweeper.

If you happen to see any roofing crews working, ask them where to get them or check the usual suspects.

30 In. Magnetic Sweeper with Wheels

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I believe I've seen smaller units for sale at Home Depot or Lowes, often thought about getting one.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Too late now, but yeah. (Good) roofers use one after a job, and believe-you-me; after a hurricane ... with every single person getting a new roof ... and all the debris ... flat tire after flat tire.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
These things rock! I have two. I zip tie them to my forklift forks and drive around our storage yard. Work like a charm. When I'm done they resume their jobs cleaning up after my welding escapades.

My gun club use to use them linked together in a harrow and dragged them around the ranges to pick up whatever they could.

Top Bottom