What's new

MDC inbound

It's actually not all that expensive. You pay a lot up front, but you are getting 200g of soap, which is twice as much as a typical soap puck. On top of that, you need very little soap for a three pass shave, so that 200g goes even further. So think of it more like buying soap in bulk than paying a premium.

I have to believe that spending even half that amount on Williams or Arko would last far longer.

If we have to begin justifying our expenditures on this forum, I'm outa here. I thought this was where we come to indulge ourselves a little. I didn't buy it to save money, and I don't expect anybody else that has it did either. I earned it, I spend it.
And I shave with Williams too, and like it.

I have to believe that spending even half that amount on Williams or Arko would last far longer.
This is likely true, but the same could be said of almost any artisanal soap.

I can’t speak for anyone else on this forum, but for me, this hobby serves as one of the few avenues in life where I can indulge in luxury without breaking the bank.

Yes, spending $63.44 for a jar of MdC sounds like a lot of money for shave soap, and it is, but for me, it is a luxury item which remains affordable.

The jar of MdC I recently purchased cost just a little more than a tank of gas for our family vehicle. It will bring me about a year’s worth of enjoyable shaves, so for me, it’s a luxury item I can easily justify- not that such justification is necessary here.

If we have to begin justifying our expenditures on this forum, I'm outa here. I thought this was where we come to indulge ourselves a little. I didn't buy it to save money, and I don't expect anybody else that has it did either. I earned it, I spend it.

I’m not looking for justification, I’m discussing, don’t we do that here also?

[emoji106]
there are plenty of threads where members discuss cost effective alternatives. Enjoy the soap!

There are essentially two groups of people; those who are willing to pay the price for MdC, and those who are not. While I think it is good to consider the "buying in bulk" mentality over the "luxury item" mentality that I mentioned earlier, I don't think there is anything wrong with falling into either camp. It's fine to think that MdC is too expensive, and find another soap that suits your needs. On the other hand, I don't think this matter has much to do with the topic at hand. The OP has already committed to his purchase, so he's not looking for another discussion of cost versus value. This is more of an "I pulled the trigger on something I like, so let's talk about it!" thread.

I’m not looking for justification, I’m discussing, don’t we do that here also?

Of course! I, in no way, mean to seem argumentative.

You are correct- if I bought $63 worth of Williams or Arko, it would last me longer than a single jar of MdC- I just wouldn’t enjoy it as much.

Again, MdC is an indulgence for me. I enjoy the scents offered more than any other line of soaps I have used in the past and I find the performance and longevity to be excellent.

As further testament to MdC: when I ordered the soap in Le Beurrier, the glass lid broke in transit they sent me a free replacement soap & lid. They ate the cost of shipping from France, so if that's not outstanding customer service, I don't know what is.

Oh yea, and I'll second the idea that they need to make an aftershave. Nancy Boy's signature scent is an amazing balm to pair with MdC, but it'd be interesting to see what an MdC version would be like.

Amen.
Enjoy the hell out of that soap... It will last a long long time.

I have no interest in maximizing the shaves per dollar spent on any part of this hobby. I want to maximize my enjoyment of the experience of shaving. I have a closet full of soaps and creams that cost whatever they cost. I can scan through the stacks and choose from among dozens of what are regarded as the very best available. When the next greatest thing comes out, I'll likely buy it to try it because why the hell not. I'm at a place in life where if the price of something is a 2 digit number, I really don't have to stress about it. I also hope nobody here makes me feel like I'm supposed to apologise for it or somehow feel guilty.

Load up on Arko and save your money if you want, but why not let the man enjoy his indulgence without projecting your cost perspective into what was basically a post of celebration.

Amen.
Enjoy the hell out of that soap... It will last a long long time.

I have no interest in maximizing the shaves per dollar spent on any part of this hobby. I want to maximize my enjoyment of the experience of shaving. I have a closet full of soaps and creams that cost whatever they cost. I can scan through the stacks and choose from among dozens of what are regarded as the very best available. When the next greatest thing comes out, I'll likely buy it to try it because why the hell not. I'm at a place in life where if the price of something is a 2 digit number, I really don't have to stress about it. I also hope nobody here makes me feel like I'm supposed to apologise for it or somehow feel guilty.

Load up on Arko and save your money if you want, but why not let the man enjoy his indulgence without projecting your cost perspective into what was basically a post of celebration.
My most main man :thumbup1:

As a boy who also grew up in the country.

The old saying is, "You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy!" :a29:

Still, it is stuff made by country people, not large multinationals or fancy and cool, stores from Paris....

Last edited:
Enjoy! In the end, the soap wasn't for me but the packaging and the fact that it does last a long time makes it into a special experience.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My brother! Congratulations on ordering MdC. Jim sent me five grams to try. The first taste is free lol. I made the mistake of telling my wife what it costs. She called it King's butt shaving soap, and that if I ever bought it that would be it. Yes, you can by a boat load of soaps, like Proraso which I love, that would out last 200gm's of McD. I used to say this a lot touting quantity. The thing is that MdC really is a superb treat. Everything from it's scent, ease of loading, slickness, and protection is unparalleled. In the same way all other blades are compared to Feather for sharpness, all soaps end up being compared to McD for sickness and performance. Enjoy, I look forward to your thoughts and will live vicariously through you.

Thanks Rave!! The "Kings Butt" comment by your wife brought a smile to my face as I hit the buy now button. I was laughing and thinking of you when I did it.

Fancy country people?:001_rolle

Fancy why? I grow in a world where an artisan, country cheese, or a dozen of country eggs, some country poultry meat , of iberian ham raised on a dehesa is much more expensive than any industrial or massive produced equivalent stuff.

Yes indeed! But it is definitely a sophisticated product for connoisseurs (like you Sir)! :a14::a14:

Well, it can be. I probably would have just tried some McD samples if I weren't the winner of a charity raffle that included an MdC agrumes in the lot. I don't see any sofistication, no fancy names, no super elaborated label designs, not a thousand of different scents etc...

Why don't just say what it is, a good but expensive product?

Top Bottom