What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Tar, creosote and burning coal are wonderful nostalgic smells for me. Where can this stuff be had?

I'm not sure about Arne's soap but if you like that kind of scent, check out Neutrogena T gel, the active ingredient is coal tar. The first time I smelled it, it reminded me of driveway sealant. :blink:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm not sure about Arne's soap but if you like that kind of scent, check out Neutrogena T gel, the active ingredient is coal tar. The first time I smelled it, it reminded me of driveway sealant. :blink:
Exactly! Wonderful scent isn’t it? I used to use coal tar soap for a shampoo. Thought the EU had made it illegal. Thanks for the tip.

thiers issard la legende

fitjarsd shea.jpg

I've thought about buying a DX or the non folding version (SS?) from time to time, it was actually the first time I'd ever seen a kamisori and it was intriguing. My problem is, every time I look at the price I keep thinking about all the vintage razors I could buy for less - or at least the same price. The tamahagane kamisoris are very tempting. Then there's the additional safety warnings by experienced guys such as yourself: I have a tiny mole on my cheek that for years I kept slicing off every time I used my Dovo Best. That doesn't happen anymore and I really don't want to revisit that experience.
I started with the SS folding and liked it a lot. I saw the Kamisori style and thought I'd try that also in SS, ended up liking it a lot and got the DX in Kamisori style as well. I liked that so much I got a real deal Kamisori to complete the trip down that branch of this rabbit tunnel... Course, in my standard if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing kind of way, I have also gotten a number of lots of straight razors and Japanese Kamisori to learn better how to evaluate them, sharpen them, etc...

Anyway, I really like the whole feather system... They all really can give an amazing shave, that is a bit different from a true straight. True, no real flex to that blade, but on the other side you really don't need any more pressure of that blade against your face than you'd put on your final finish passes on your highest grit finishing hone to get the hair to just disappear.

It is not very forgiving of too much pressure, lazy touchdowns, or loose/unstretched skin...but if I focus it will really give a fantastic shave. If I don't focus, it will remind me.

I find the Iwasaki Kamisori to probably be the best for me I have used so far, and the DX is very close behind.

I started with the SS folding and liked it a lot. I saw the Kamisori style and thought I'd try that also in SS, ended up liking it a lot and got the DX in Kamisori style as well. I liked that so much I got a real deal Kamisori to complete the trip down that branch of this rabbit tunnel... Course, in my standard if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing kind of way, I have also gotten a number of lots of straight razors and Japanese Kamisori to learn better how to evaluate them, sharpen them, etc...

Anyway, I really like the whole feather system... They all really can give an amazing shave, that is a bit different from a true straight. True, no real flex to that blade, but on the other side you really don't need any more pressure of that blade against your face than you'd put on your final finish passes on your highest grit finishing hone to get the hair to just disappear.

It is not very forgiving of too much pressure, lazy touchdowns, or loose/unstretched skin...but if I focus it will really give a fantastic shave. If I don't focus, it will remind me.

I find the Iwasaki Kamisori to probably be the best for me I have used so far, and the DX is very close behind.

Iwasaki is the master, no doubt. I'd love to have one but I'll most likely get one of the more affordable makes. There are so many styles and sizes, I'm not sure what to start with. I'm guessing start with the large size first?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Jack, 1967 was a year when some great men were born. That's what I tell myself when I look into the mirror. And no i don't feel old and the years have been very kind to me, but I have a hard time digesting that some of my friends from school are grand parents, especially since my own son only is ten. You can call me Peter Pan.

I'd say that you don't need a Feather, and yes the SS is far easier to use than the DX.

True the SS is far more forgiving. Then again having a collection like your buying a SS would be like a Porsche collector buying a VW beatle.

I still am waiting for a post where someone states anything bad about the Friodur razors. They are great and always my recommendation for a first razor.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Jack, 1967 was a year when some great men were born. That's what I tell myself when I look into the mirror. And no i don't feel old and the years have been very kind to me, but I have a hard time digesting that some of my friends from school are grand parents, especially since my own son only is ten. You can call me Peter Pan.

I'd say that you don't need a Feather, and yes the SS is far easier to use than the DX.

True the SS is far more forgiving. Then again having a collection like your buying a SS would be like a Porsche collector buying a VW beatle.

I still am waiting for a post where someone states anything bad about the Friodur razors. They are great and always my recommendation for a first razor.
1967 was my first year of college children! :wheelchair: I don't feel as old as I look though, just riper and sweeter.

It's a beautiful razor but as for the rest... "Why?" :lol:
Sounds like a the soap may be the Veg of the soap world! Again, WHY? Of all scents, TAR? :)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet tomorrow he uses the "sweaty gym socks" aftershave! :001_tongu
I am really into scents and sometimes I get lucky. The PAA soap "Dirt" turned out to have a fantastic scent of soil wet from rain. It sent me back to my childhood and me sitting in the sandbox on a rainy day. One day I'll rebuy it. So i figured that "Tar" actually would smell tar, but not as intensive as it actually did. It also actually sent me down memory lane back to the army when I daily smeared my skin with a tar based substance to keep the billions of stinging insects away. We all did and the tar stuck to the face so we all looked dirty even after trying to wash it off. I believe that the repellent actually was forbidden, except for in Lapland, due to being carcinogenic. Then again when you're in your twenties you're immortal.
However I have decided not to throw the soap away, it turned out to be a good shaving soap, but I have promised Junior that I won't have it in my soap rotation.

Tar, creosote and burning coal are wonderful nostalgic smells for me. Where can this stuff be had?
Here you go:
Razor Master Pine Tar "Toivo" Shaving Soap 80g - Gifts&Care
I am very interested in your opinion if you pull the trigger.
1967 was my first year of college children! :wheelchair: I don't feel as old as I look though, just riper and sweeter.
Ripe and sweet... isn't the description of a prune?:wink2: On a more serious note, life has taught me to enjoy every day and year and not to take for granted that another one will follow.
Just this old Ragg for me today.
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Beautiful!

11/16 J.A. Henckels #415
View attachment 899011
I've searched and I have found, but still haven't bought. As you know I like it a lot.

Saturday's Shave
'Clouds Over Gettysburg'
View attachment 899114
"Wednesday" is demoted to second place in my book. Long live the new King!

Cedric Christ Custom Old School 1820s 8/8

proxy.php
Beautiful!

Top Bottom