What's new

Murray's Superior pomade review

murray's1.jpg

Today I'm using this timeless classic pomade from 1925. Murray's Superior pomade is the absolute best. I added 1 scoop of Murray's Superior to my dry hair this morning. Murray's gives my hair a really nice textured look and it holds down my sides as if I just got a fresh hair cut. Murray's is the absolute best pomade. Today I'm going for the George Clooney look to my hair. I've got my front bang flaring off to the side the way Clooney has it.

To get volume more volume for your hair, it's best to apply Murray's Superior to dry hair. 1 scoop is usually enough for me to create a ton of volume. The beauty of Murray's is it stays in your hair for ages until you want it to come out. In the past, Ive used this pomade for as long 4 days consecutive without reapplying pomade, and my hair looked just as good as when I first applied it.

To style your hair, you don't want to use a lot of Murray's Superior. It's a waste to use a ton of this excellent pomade unless you're looking for a slick back or you have extremely curly hair.

Murray's Superior is a great buy for consumers on a tight budget that don't want to spend a fortune on hair products. One 3oz tin of Murray's Superior lasts me months because I don't need to use much for each application.

A major negative about Murray's Superior, and for any oil-based pomade for that matter, is how it melts on hot days. Today was in the mid-80s where I live and it flattened out my Elvis Presley pompadour, leaving me with a slick back, which is NOT what I wanted. As such, I had to pull out some High Life Heavy Hold wax from my desk at work and apply that. I was able to immediately get a ton of volume with this beautiful wax. My hair was a 10 after applied 1 scoop of High Like Heavy. This stuff is one of the heaviest wax pomades on the market. There are only a few that rival it, but they're overpriced and not worth buying. High Life Heavy does the job for me and it sells for a fair price at $10 per 3.5oz tin. On my personal Hollywood movie star meter, I'm definitely looking like 10 today, thanks to High Life Heavy saving the day. Murray's Superior has my sides totally pinned down 1920s style.

murrays1.jpg

With today being Memorial Day, I wanted to go with this misunderstood product. With Murray's Superior in my hair, I feel like everything is the way it's supposed to be.

I added two scoops of Murray's Superior pomade to my dry hair in the morning. With the amount of Murray's in my hair today, I feel good about tonight. I know my hair is going to stay put the entire evening. I've been using the Vintage Murray's Superior, but today I went with the regular scented. The scent of Vintage Murray's overpowering towards the end of the day and I didn't want to deal with that. My hair doesn't look shiny today. It's kind of a matte shine. I was thinking of mixing in a top coat of Murray's Super Light pomade, but I didn't want to break the hold of the Superior. My blond hair is looking great today. I'm looking like a star absolutely. We're talking James Dean.

Dapper Dan is a product that was created based on the George Clooney movie, 'O Brother, Where Art Thou.' A company in the UK created Dapper Dan. Someone else came along and created 'Fop' pomade, which was another pseudo product from the same movie. It's a great idea to use fictitious products from a movie and create an old fashioned looking tin to sell oil and water based pomades. Obviously, there weren't any water based pomades in the 20s, so that should be a huge hint that this is a pomade created recently. If you look around old tins or literature on Dapper Dan pomade, you won't find any. There's the site you listed that talks about Dapper Dan being a brand that was sold in the 1920s, but I could never find anything on the pomade. As such, it's nice pomade created in 2011. You can call it a rehash of tons of other pomades created over the years. My advice is to stick with the tried and true pomades like Murray's and Dax, and save a lot of money.

Brand Story

Dapper Dan was founded in Sheffield, England in 2011; born of frustration with the less than adequate products available to gentlemen to fulfil their styling needs. Our products were developed over a ten year period by professionals in the trade, determined to create a unique and compact styling range. In 2012, Dapper Dan Matt Paste was launched and quickly became the most versatile matt styler we had ever experienced. In 2014 we added a Deluxe Pomade and a Matt Clay to the range. We firmly believe that with 3 well selected and painstakingly developed products, there is no styling requirement that can not be met.

Please explain the vintage ads you can find on google images? It was discontinued in the 40's and revived in 2011.

large_New_poster_1_small.png

Those are ads that were created by the British company that produced the product in 2011. All of the ads are meant to look old fashioned. Don't get me wrong; I'm sure it's good pomade. It's new stuff and definitely not as old as Murray's Superior (1925), Murray's Exelento (1912). If you're into vintage pomades, then try Royal Crown pomade/hair dressing, Murray's, Black and White pomade and Sweet Georgia Brown Red and Blue. Those are some of the few very old pomades that have survived to this day. When I first noticed the Dapper Dan pomade years ago, I thought it was vintage pomade.

Look at the ad that I posted. It says water based. There weren't water based pomades in the 1920s. Water based pomades are a relatively new creation.

A lot of the great pomades in the past have been discontinued unfortunately.

Here's a short list of discontinued old time pomades:

• Lover's Moon
  • Slick Black
  • Joe Louis pomade
  • Wang Hair pomade
  • Dixie Peach [an old Elvis Presley favorite]
  • Belva Hair Rep
  • Lucky Heart Nu Glo
  • La Jean full hair dress
  • Staslick
  • Ox Morrow pomade
  • Queen Supreme
  • Tuxedo Club
  • Lucky Brown Pressing oil

Last edited:
I don't use pomade, but if I did my brand is Ultra Sheen. It doesn't make the hair greasy and gives it a nice shine. I like the scent also.

But to be honest with you, what I really used it on was my show dogs. The stuff did do what I said about the look on the hair.

Ulra Sheen is similar to Dax Short and Neat, except Dax pomade doesn't contain the coloring that Ultra Sheen does.

Ultra Sheen:

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquid/Huile Minerale), Lanolin, Ceresin, Aluminum Ditearate, Benzyl Benzoate, Lauric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Tocopherol, Limonene, D&C Green No 6, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Amyl Cinnamal, BHT, Geraniol.

Dax Short and Neat pomade:

Ingredients: Petrolatum; Coconut Oil; Castor Oil; Mineral Oil; Parfum

I ordered some Ultra Sheen and Dapper Dan Heavy Hold pomade last night. I want to see what they're like. The Ulra Sheen is a classic from 1970s, I believe. I saw an ad last year on Ultra Sheen and Afro Sheen on Youtube on an 70s program called, 'Soul Train,' with Don Cornelius. It looked like an interesting show, but it was way before my time. They were advertising Ultra Sheen heavily during the program, and this was way back in the 1970s. The video is real grainy.

Well, I wasn't kidding you on how I used it. In the dog show world we use all kinds of grooming products. Just touching my finger to the product gave me enough oil to give the hair a nice shine without being greasy.

I stopped using hair dressing in the early 70's, I use Consort hairspray to hold the hair. I like the drier look.

Water based pomades [Dapper Dan] on your show dogs, eh? Just as long as you know that Dapper Dan is NOT a vintage pomade. You can probably get a far better deal if your looking for actual vintage pomade for your animals.

Lol I still have the first jar of Ultra Sheen. I only use a finger touch worth of product, not a dab. Rub it between my hands and then onto the coat of the Schnauzer. They need to have a wiry coat and too much product would make it soft.

So, just show dogs are getting the Ultra sheen pomade treatment? You don't have any house cats running around with Ultra sheen or Dapper Dan pomade slathered on their hides, do you?

I'm still trying to figure out what all this has to do with Murray's Superior? I might need to create an Ultra Sheen/Dapper Dan thread once I get those products through the mail. I'm going to keep the focus on Murray's Superior because I want this thread to rank high in the search engines for "Murray's Superior."

I know Ultra Sheen has been around for ages. You can call it a vintage product, as it's been around since 70s at the very least. As far as Dapper Dan, it's recent. All the chemicals in Ultra Sheen would make me VERY hesitant to want to put it on my dog.

Ultra Sheen:

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquid/Huile Minerale), Lanolin, Ceresin, Aluminum Ditearate, Benzyl Benzoate, Lauric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Tocopherol, Limonene, D&C Green No 6, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Amyl Cinnamal, BHT, Geraniol.

Last edited:
Hmmm, now that you mention it, my cat Salsa, has beern sporting a pretty nice pompadour lately. I wonder if he's been getting into the Ultra Sheen.

Hey Salsa, we need to talk.
proxy.php

I've got to say, between your wonderful reviews, removal method, dedication to this product, and lifestyle claims near the end of your first post (if you get tired of all the ladies send a couple my way :p ) I'm sold on trying Murray's Superior again! I've been using the Pink Reuzel and have been happy so far, I'll let you know if Murray's is an improvement.

murray's.jpg

I'm using my beloved Murray's Superior pomade today. I restocked with 10 new cans of regular Murray's Superior this week. This should last be the remainder of 2018. Oh yeah, I'm looking like a star today. I can's say enough how Murray's has changed my life. When I have Murray's in my hair, I'm transformed into a star.

Top Bottom