What's new

Dual sport riders

I have a Yamaha WR250 that I made street legal, but I've since removed some of the hardware and it is currently torn apart.

I have a Suzuki DR650SE, but I've had to give it up recently because the height aggravates my knee and back injuries when I climb on and off it.

Yamaha FJ-09. Also, not really a dual sport, but it looks like one.

I had a Triumph Sprint ST (955cc triple) for about 10 years, but wanted something a bit more comfortable, but with the same performance, handling, braking AND ABS.

The FJ has that all in spades. (It is an 850 triple) An absolute HOOT to ride, great around town, and for 400 mile days. :001_smile

I grew up on dirt bikes, but unfortunately life and urban sprawl got in the way and I was forced to "take it to the streets." My current bike is a 2004 Suzuki GS500F, which is a fun little bike, but...it's not a dirt bike.

I've considered a dual sport, but always feared that it would be a compromise and I probably wouldn't be getting the good traits of either style. Am I wrong with that assumption?

I guess it depends on you're riding style. If your just doing light street, then a capable dual-sport will not degrade that experience IMHO. You may sacrifice a little comfort but there are mods available. On the flip side, unless your doing MX riding, the l dirt is where the dual sport earns its keep.

'15 Versys 1000

proxy.php

I don't know about a true dual sport but someday I would like to have a Harley 883 Sportster customised into a sort of hybrid street tracker/brat/scrambler. The flat seat of the brat but thicker like a tracker. Just without the bump at the back. Definitely fenders but not as high up as a true dual sport or what we called enduros when I was a kid To much debris to dodge without them. And the wide profile tires like a brat but not necessarily knobby profiles like a scrambler. Exhaust and handlebars? Definitely not the cafe bars of the brats. More like scramblers. And I cannot deciede between a full on scrambler exhaust or more tracker like. Decisions, decisions.

Had a KLR650 for awhile but back etc too old and crippled now to ride that. Sold my 1997 Valkyrie May 2016 after 30 years of riding..........

Top Bottom