What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2017

Yes! I'll take one on a hot Floriday! The board at the craft brew place listed Gillian as a Saison, but the first sip had me Googling it. I'll take one or the other!

Good point. I suppose a saison doesn’t necessarily lend itself to sharing the flavor profile of a sour. That said, I am also curious now and kind of want to give it a try. I’ll see if I can find a bottle locally.

Let me know what you think. It got to the point where I had to chug it if I was going to finish it, but don't let that influence you!

Yesterday... Trillium Big Sprang.

proxy.php

Special submission to the BOTD thread this evening. A New England IPA that my brother and I brewed using Northern Brewer’s “Beerie Smalls” kit. We were very happy with how it came out.

9A6115C4-4C66-43FD-AB9C-A55705C5812C.jpeg

Let me know what you think. It got to the point where I had to chug it if I was going to finish it, but don't let that influence you!

Will do. I like both Saisons and wilds, so it’s the hybrid aspect that has me curious. I’ve seen Sophie, the other one you mentioned, plenty of times, but never Gillian.

Left alone last evening I wandered down to the craft brews place. Had a Father Christmas Belgian Strong Ale from Boca Raton's Barrel of Monks Brewing. Might say the Belgians do it better, but it was enjoyable. Paired with a Pan con Lechón from a Cuban food truck and finished with vanilla ice cream with whisky barrel aged maple syrup. I wouldn't last long if left to my own devices!

Last edited:
This one's for Marty. I'll admit I'm a little nonplussed when it comes to his posts; he wants recommendations for black lagers, then laments the fact that he's located in a place where distribution of different beers is almost impossible. It's hard to help a guy in that position.... anyway....

Sprecher Brewing is located in Glendale, WI. They're better known for their craft sodas; root beer, cream soda, orange, black cherry. They also have their hand in alcoholic sodas, like hard ginger ales. They also make a dandy Bavarian black lager:

Smooth, slightly sweet, mild carbonation. Tolerable ABV of around 6%. It was definitely a beer, but went down like a good soda. Sorry I can't share with you, Marty.

Don

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
This one's for Marty. I'll admit I'm a little nonplussed when it comes to his posts; he wants recommendations for black lagers, then laments the fact that he's located in a place where distribution of different beers is almost impossible. It's hard to help a guy in that position.... anyway....

Sprecher Brewing is located in Glendale, WI. They're better known for their craft sodas; root beer, cream soda, orange, black cherry. They also have their hand in alcoholic sodas, like hard ginger ales. They also make a dandy Bavarian black lager:

Smooth, slightly sweet, mild carbonation. Tolerable ABV of around 6%. It was definitely a beer, but went down like a good soda. Sorry I can't share with you, Marty.

Don

It’s okay! I can close my eyes and smell and taste it just by your description!
This is what happens when a redneck Mescan Boy from the ranch gets out in the world a few times. I’ve gotten to try some wonderful different things but when I return to my home in the sticks I’m stuck with what I can find locally. However, when I do get to travel I will look at this thread and see if I can find some of the beers y’all suggest.
But this is my home and what we have.
I do enjoy living vicariously through y’all though.
Cheers!

Last night...

Dogfish Head (Milton, DE) - 90 Minute IPA

Heady, hoppy and sticky. Boozey as it warms up. Perfect sipper on a cold New England night.

B19B5EA5-7012-4165-BF46-79C411923613.jpeg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
@Black Adder,
I found the Shiner Black Lager at a local grocery store. This was the 1st time I have seen it! Delicious.
To my untrained palate it’s the same as Sam Adams Black Lager!!
I’m in heaven!!

I found the Shiner Black Lager at a local grocery store. This was the 1st time I have seen it! Delicious.
To my untrained palate it’s the same as Sam Adams Black Lager!!
I’m in heaven!!

Great to see this post. If anything, my post told you to keep your eyes open! Black ales and lagers are usually very good. Look for Kostritzer; this is a black beer from Germany. And, I haven't seen it in a while, but Cara de Luna is a black ale from Crazy Mountain Brewing out of Colorado. Keep up the search!

Cara de Luna | Crazy Mountain Brewing Company

Don

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron Brown Ale....

Palo Santo Marron

This one looked really interesting. Had a nice, rich sweet brown ale opening, but it was borderline in the boozy department. It didn't sit too well with me... maybe with the right food to accompany it? The Dogfish Heads I've tried seem to be punching me in the face with the ABVs.

Don

Top Bottom