What's new

Have you ever wonder how to store a travel brush. Read on.

I'm always looking for just the right storage container for storing my travel brush. It needs to be round, the right width, the right height, and needs to "breath". Lo and behold, I found the perfect solution, and at NO COST. Went to my local phamacy (Walgreens) and asked what is the largest pill containers you have? She told me sizes 40 and 60. I asked if i could have one of each with the lids and how much it would cost. She siad "no cost, you can have them".
The test: I travel with a Meseto brush and it turns out the size 40 is perfect! The size 60 is the same width, but several inches taller. Only thing I had to do was punch a small hole in the top of the lid for breathing. Whenyou put on the lid make sure it's not inverted so that the space for the tips of the brush have room (I labeled the lid "top/up".) You can see in the photo below the breath hole and how it all worked out. My search is over! A great solution at no cost (IMHO)
Here's the pic showing the result:
Storage for Travel Shave Brush.JPG

Mikey

The cap looks like it would bend the top of the brush knot. Does the cap sit higher than the top of the container?

The cap looks like it would bend the top of the brush knot. Does the cap sit higher than the top of the container?
Yes, it does. There is space in the top part of the lid. Using my Meseto, it does not touch the tips of the brush. The tips of my brush protrude 1/4" from the top of the container. The INSIDE of the lid is 1/2". Allowing for the lid to close, there is ~1/16" clearance from the tips of the brush to the INSIDE top of the lid. With the brush inside the container and lid locked on, then holding the container upside down, I can verify that there is a tad more than 1/16" clearance from the bottom of the brush handle to the bottom of the container. Damn, that was a lot of measuring. Just be sure of the size (total hight) of the brush. If in doubt use the number 60 pill container. Plenty of room in that one. If it's too big, just pad the bottom of the pill container to get the height that fits your brush.
Bottom line: For the Maseto and a size 40 container, it works fine.
Hope that helps.
Mikey

Yes, it does. There is space in the top part of the lid. Using my Meseto, it does not touch the tips of the brush. The tips of my brush protrude 1/4" from the top of the container. The INSIDE of the lid is 1/2". Allowing for the lid to close, there is ~1/16" clearance from the tips of the brush to the INSIDE top of the lid. With the brush inside the container and lid locked on, then holding the container upside down, I can verify that there is a tad more than 1/16" clearance from the bottom of the brush handle to the bottom of the container. Damn, that was a lot of measuring. Just be sure of the size (total hight) of the brush. If in doubt use the number 60 pill container. Plenty of room in that one. If it's too big, just pad the bottom of the pill container to get the height that fits your brush.
Bottom line: For the Maseto and a size 40 container, it works fine.
Hope that helps.
Mikey

Nice. I paid money that I didn’t need to spend by buying a large Simpson’s travel tube. Sure it looks nice and all but I would have felt better with that money in my pocket.

Nice. I paid money that I didn’t need to spend by buying a large Simpson’s travel tube. Sure it looks nice and all but I would have felt better with that money in my pocket.
Well, at least you have the tube. Look at it that way. Could have been worse if you bought several.

Nice, and thanks for the idea, this will help somebody save money.

I looked for a razor travel case, and thought everything was priced way too high for what you get. Came here and searched, and found that a cheap eye glasses case makes for a nice razor case.

I've been using the same pill bottle thing for my travel brush for years. The only difference between mine and yours is that I've drilled some additional holes in mine.

If you decide to do the same then do start out with a smaller drill bit and slowly work your way up to a larger one as starting with the larger bit will crack the container.

I use one from the Vet. It's 5.75 inches tall (for syringes). 6 holes around the top, bottom, and side. Blades and head on the bottom, brush on top and slide the handle down the side. One stop shopping.

I've been using the same pill bottle thing for my travel brush for years. The only difference between mine and yours is that I've drilled some additional holes in mine.

If you decide to do the same then do start out with a smaller drill bit and slowly work your way up to a larger one as starting with the larger bit will crack the container.
Thanks for the tip

That pill bottle idea is a great idea. Currently I have two cardboard toilet tubes stuffed inside one another (two for rigidity) that I stick my cheap boar brush into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My travel solution is to leave the brush at home,
and build lather with my hands.
Neither my razor nor my whiskers can tell the difference.

At home, though, I do keep my brushes in tubes.
I use golf-ball size tubes, and they are tall and wide enough to store every brush I have except one.
I drill a hole in the cap and its good to go.
I like that these are clear and I can see perfectly what's inside them.
And they are perfect cylinders, so they line up next to one another neatly.

Personalized Three Ball Value Golf Gift Sleeve | CPS0666 - DiscountMugs
These are just shown for example, and they cost $5 each,
but I bought a case of 24 for around $1 a piece.
I don't remember where they came from.

When I finally do get a big Simpson,
I'm springing for the branded travel tube,
even if it will be an extra $13 or so.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My travel solution is to leave the brush at home,
and build lather with my hands.
Neither my razor nor my whiskers can tell the difference.

^^^ This!

I had been thinking about getting a travel brush, but didn't like the idea of packing away a wet brush. Since I discovered Palmolive shave stick, and figured out that all I need do build a lather is wet fingertips, problem solved.

Top Bottom