What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

I think you are talking about these two spots (about 30x magnification). The seller was right, there is nothing to be concerned about. I guess the stone is very old and a bit weather-beaten at the surface. It just needs a good lapping. I recently moved and i am just unpacking. But soon I'll test the stone. My kitchen knife was definitely extremely sharp with it and there was nothing toxic in the stone.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes those are the spots. I figured they were fine, but he made me and others uneasy about it. He had it on his site then pulled it because of those spots. Then offered it to people without putting it back on the site and then put it on eBay on his alternate account and shut down his site for a month. He did it right before I could use my 25% discount too. He needs to stop being so shady. I think you got a great stone there. I almost bought it myself several times. He sold me a wonderful stone as an Ohira, but it turned out to be a Nakayama. Not going to complain on that one. I think his wholesaler is spot on with which mine for some stones and way off with others not always in his favor either.

Yeah, he sent me all the photos of it and then I said I would take it after which he said he thought it had some bad spots in the stone. Tbh, I think he felt he would get way more off the bay than he was from me (which didn't happen) and waffled on private sale. I feel that way because they were not mentioned in the listing... His perogative with his stuff, but not the best way to treat a returning customer...

I think you are talking about these two spots (about 30x magnification). The seller was right, there is nothing to be concerned about. I guess the stone is very old and a bit weather-beaten at the surface. It just needs a good lapping. I recently moved and i am just unpacking. But soon I'll test the stone. My kitchen knife was definitely extremely sharp with it and there was nothing toxic in the stone.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Just looks like some su to me

I think su in terms of gas holes look a bit different. It looks more like chalk like in this adder stones from the Baltic Sea or maybe they are weathered Namazu spots. In a few days I will know whether it is only on the surface of the stone.

proxy.php

I think for the last step when honing a razor I would prefer a stone without su, because the slurry in the holes will not really break down and larger particles can be released from the holes while honing. But some Suitas with su can be good finishers with water only. They are in any case very popular for kitchen knives.

Yea, looks like some deposits in there, unless its dried slurry? If they are, hopefully they are soft. In my limited experience su have never been of a benefit to my best knowledge. But usually they dont hurt either, just keep an eye on them. If they are small, and not in big clusters, I havent had many issues with razors. You could, especially if your stone is out of flat, catch the edge on one. Or, if your not to the center of the bubble, small bits of its edge can break off into your slurry. I like to use a small pick or nail and lightly scratch around in any potentially probmatic areas. Then give it a good rinse and light refresher lap. That way any sharp peaks and any nastys are better knocked out and avoided.

I've fiished a ton of razors on Suita with Su, with zero issues. Never ever had a problem, not once - but those were what I'd call 'razor quality' Suita. That tool-grade stuff is another story and there really is no reason on this planet to be honing razors on those stones. But for a good hard/fine suita; if the slurry in a Su pocket doesn't come out to break down, then it won't come out to cause issues. But it doesn't really work like that. Unless we're talking about an extremely hard Suita with particles that were way less friable (or whatever) than usual, I don't believe there are any issues with particles 'trapped' in Su being problematic. The slurry moves around, in and out of those holes and thing just work just fine. Well, so long as the stone is on point and capable of finishing a razor's edge. Any stone shedding particles that can hurt a razor should not be used for honing razors - so there's that to consider also. It's like saying, "oh this would be a great finisher if it didn't spit sand (or chips or whatever) into the slurry. Well, yeah....

I wonder what strata this Ozuku comes from, maybe tomae? It is very hard but not dead slow. I would even say it is a fast stone and that is strange, because it is ultra fine. Correct me if i am wrong but it seems the green and white crystal on the backside is very rare. Possibly a reference to the strata?
proxy.php

All you need to do is go to my website.... I have a decently-sized section on Mikawa Nagura there.

The above mikawa set sure is a looker! I've been looking for a larger sized set. The set I have and use is to my knowledge a harder set, and it works very well, but works at its best on my harder stones. Keith, do you see any diffrent behavior with hard mikawa on steel vs softer mikawa? Or does the hardness carry more weight with regards to base stone selection? Being that softer mikawa may more effectively be used on a softer base stone.

Top Bottom