What's new

2nd shave with new razor

Morning all!

Had my second shave with my razor last night and was really concentrating on the angle and pulling the skin tight. I must have went past 30deg as my face was on fire when I was done. I've hear having the blade almost on your face, one spine width and two spine widths away, which is it?

All be it a fairly painful shave when done I was able to do my entire face. There were some spots on my chin that the hair did not get cut at the surface which has to be angle related. I'm not discouraged just anxious for my face to calm down and get at it again and fix the angle to have a better shave.

Have a good day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you trying a different angle. It took me a few time until I realized, with my razor, I pretty much have to have my spine laying against my skin.

I 1st lay it flat on my face, and then raise it up just a tiny bit. I focus on just scraping the cream off. It may not feel like it's doing anything, but more than likely it is. And if it's not just go back over with a slightly different angle until you get down.

Hope this helps, but it seems like you already know what to do, haha.

I agree with you trying a different angle. It took me a few time until I realized, with my razor, I pretty much have to have my spine laying against my skin.

I 1st lay it flat on my face, and then raise it up just a tiny bit. I focus on just scraping the cream off. It may not feel like it's doing anything, but more than likely it is. And if it's not just go back over with a slightly different angle until you get down.

Hope this helps, but it seems like you already know what to do, haha.

Thank you sir! I will try what you suggested this weekend, I need to let my face rest as it's pretty raw after that shave. I was happy to get through the whole shave and see where I need to improve!

I would try to use short strokes and NO pressure. Like stated above just try to remove the lather. I believe pressure is most of your issue if you are keeping the angle shallow. Good luck.

I would try to use short strokes and NO pressure. Like stated above just try to remove the lather. I believe pressure is most of your issue if you are keeping the angle shallow. Good luck.

Thanks Jimmy!

Pretty much have to echo what was already said. Very little gap between the spine and you face, and no pressure.
Another thing to add though. Try a wetter lather than you would normally use with a DE. You want plenty of slick glide with a straight. The nice thick fluffy lather that looks so good in photos isn't always the most comfortable to straight shave with.

Pretty much have to echo what was already said. Very little gap between the spine and you face, and no pressure.
Another thing to add though. Try a wetter lather than you would normally use with a DE. You want plenty of slick glide with a straight. The nice thick fluffy lather that looks so good in photos isn't always the most comfortable to straight shave with.

Thanks sfeile, my face seems ready today and will be given giving everyone's suggestions a try tonight!

Ok, got my shave in tonight and it was going better using less of an angle and my face felt good. As I started to finish my cheeks I noticed there were some, not a lot of hairs still there. I went on to my chin and under my neck and the whole shave went pear shaped. The razor started pulling and stopped at one point in my chin.

I had sent it to a guy a town over from me to be honed and I'm starting to think he did not do a good job or my version of sharp is different. I finished up with my safety razor with astra blades and like butter through my chin hairs.

I got my razor from vintageblades and have free honing for the life of the razor. Does anyone have any other place to send it that might be better?

I was rooting for you lol. Where are you located? Maybe try posting in the honing forum for someone local.

If you do get your razor honed make sure not to strop it before your first shave. This will let you know if your stropping technique needs work.

I'd help you out if you were close. The only two that I have personally received honed razors from that offer the service are Larry at whipped dog and Jerod at the Superior Shave. Both were good shave ready edges. I know Larry offers a honing service but not sure if Jerod hones razors not purchased from him. I started honing my own from the beginning so sorry I'm not much help, but I know other members can recommend someone. Good luck.

I'd help you out if you were close. The only two that I have personally received honed razors from that offer the service are Larry at whipped dog and Jerod at the Superior Shave. Both were good shave ready edges. I know Larry offers a honing service but not sure if Jerod hones razors not purchased from him. I started honing my own from the beginning so sorry I'm not much help, but I know other members can recommend someone. Good luck.

Thanks Jimmy!

You guys are great, I like this group a lot. Shawn's taking care of me, looking forward to a good shave! My wife thinks I'm crazy but loving DE and SR shaves. I already get asked how many aftershaves and soaps do you need? I told her you asked how many duck decoys do I need and they still keep coming.... nothing like a great shave! Have a great weekend guys!

Top Bottom