What's new

Does anyone NOT have sensitive skin?

I used to think that I did have sensitive skin before I came along to this place. I just had bad shaves with carts and didnt know about prep, as in just soaking the beard really. Now that I've used de's and se's for just over 2 years my conclusion is that my skin is not sensitive but more that my shaving skills were terrible.

^Same here. I think I was sold a bill of goods by Gillette and other companies. All my neck bumps disappeared once I switched. They were all ingrown hairs from the carts. :001_smile

If you can do 5 passes everyday and use an alcohol based aftershave you don't have sensitive skin. Yes the face is a sensitive area in general, but people confuse sensitive skin with poor technique. Any type of alcohol is terrible for my dry skin. I also can't for the life of me go against the grain without getting irritation, although I unintentionally go ATG in a few spots. And that's fine, I couldn't care less about BBS shaves. At the end of the day everyone's skin is different, and there is different degrees of sensitive skin, but I do believe in normal skin and sensitive skin. Certain people have skin conditions and other people don't, that alone makes someone's skin more sensitive than someone elses.

My old elephant hide definitely does not qualify as sensitive. I don't use witch hazel, alum, balm or anything else post-shave except a robust alcohol-laden splash, and never even feel a burn (except for Co9T). I think I spent too many summers in my youth as a lifeguard in the Colorado sun...

I was positive I had sensitive skin. Then I stopped using Proraso....after 3 years.

I know plenty of people love it and I still use it occasionally. But there is something in it that causes irritation if I use it day after day.

I was positive I had sensitive skin. Then I stopped using Proraso....after 3 years.

I know plenty of people love it and I still use it occasionally. But there is something in it that causes irritation if I use it day after day.
It's interesting, I had Proraso preshave for sensitive skin. Used it one time and had to wash it off because it burned so bad. I use Nivea post shave balm and the one for sensitive skin has a little sting to it where as the normal one doesn't.

It's interesting, I had Proraso preshave for sensitive skin. Used it one time and had to wash it off because it burned so bad. I use Nivea post shave balm and the one for sensitive skin has a little sting to it where as the normal one doesn't.

It's funny you mentioned the Nivea when I was using Proraso it was the only aftershave I found that would calm things down.

It is weird I've noticed that several things designed for sensitive skin do seem to cause bad reactions. I've heard if other people having issues with Proraso. Mitchells and other soaps with lanolin were also designed with sensitive skin in mind but can also cause issues.

My thoughts

Old thread. Still relevant.

I agree with some. When I think sensitivity, I think adverse reaction to a certain product. Some sensitivity can be controlled. Some cannot.

When one first shaves, one’s skin (face/head) is going to be sensitive, right? Until the skin gets use to being shaved.

After the skin is use to being shaved, it is no longer sensitive. It has sensitive areas. Every one who shaves, have sensitive areas, correct?

Some may have sensitive skin due to not yet finding the right razor and blade for themselves, shaving too frequently or because of inexperience with proper techniques.

Once one figures out the best razor and blade to use for themselves, what products to use, how often to shave and once one gets more experienced with their technique, sensitivity can be managed, but not eliminated.

Sensitivities are not positive or negative. They just are.

When shaving it is good to have alum and hydrocortisone cream on hand to help manage nicks and razor burn as needed. Please do not consider this medical advice. Seek a professional before using any cream on your skin.

Last edited:
As far as getting nicks and weepers, I don’t have sensitive skin.

A lot of different products will make my skin break out and turn red and sometimes flaky. Basically, a mild chemical burn.

My skin has been better than it has been in years since I started wet shaving. In my opinion, everything that I have spent on wet shaving has paid for itself.

I can’t use products with much alcohol on the middle of my face. Mostly by my nose, but from my forehead to my chin.

Once I found products that worked for me, from pre-shave to facial toner, everything started to work better for me.

I have plenty of friends that just shave with bar soap and cartridge razors and have better skin than I will ever have. So… there are plenty of people that don’t have sensitive skin.

Top Bottom