What's new

Pine Barrens scented shave soap?

I grew up near the Pine Barrens in NJ, did a lot of hiking and camping, and a good bit of training with Civil Air Patrol (Ground Search and Rescue). My mom's side of the family are Pineys. The Pine Barrens are a huge part of my childhood.

The NJ Pine Barrens have a unique ecosystem. Lots of pine (white, black, scrub), lots of cedar and holly, and around the edges of the Pine Barrens you have a transition area where hardwoods (especially sassafras, oak, and buttonwood) join the mix. The sandy soil is covered with pine needles, and wild blueberries (we always called them huckleberries) and teaberries serve as a ground cover. If you're lucky, you'll discover a "colony" of pink ladyslippers. The Barrens are laced with lazy waterways that look like iced tea due to the high iron content of the soil, and due to the cedar trees, which leach their oils into the water (locals call it "cedar water). Cedar water is COOOOOOLD!

In the summer especially, the heat causes the Pine Barrens to radiate a very unique aroma: the dry sweetness of pine needles, the minerality of the sand, and the vegetal small of the understory plants. It's one of the best scents in the world.

Does anyone know of a shave soap with a scent that comes anywhere near this profile?

Last edited:
If you are looking for something very specific you could get yourself some unscented LPL and a couple of bottles of essential oils. I suggest 3 drops on the puck in a triangle and lather as normal.

I'll be following this thread with some strong interest.

I know the aroma from bicycling in years past on Route 70 out around Ft. Dix (25 miles each way for me back then).

I'll be very curious to see what recommendations folks here offer. I wish I had one for you.

That aroma certainly does stimulate the primitive old sense/scent memory (olfactory bulb working overtime).

Time now for today's ride out into the Great Swamp National Wildlife Reserve 'bout 70 or 100 miles north of the Pine Barrens (not likely to be a 50-miler). A different array of scents here. Swampy bog. Hot pavement. Off bug repellent.

Last edited:
Altho I've not spent time in the NJ woodlands, I can recommend Gingers evergreen shave soap as an excellent pine and fir scent. Only wish she would make up a splash, but she was having trouble getting more of the specific EO. She might still have some pucks left however.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 53
Stirling's Coniferous is very pine-y/woodsy smelling. I used up a sample of it, and then bought some of their Witch Hazel with Aloe in the same scent. Great stuff!

You can always get samples from Stirling. They are generous with the size of the sample, and they are cheap, too. I got their sampler of alcohol-based after shaves as well.

I'll be following this thread with some strong interest. I know the aroma from bicycling in years past on Route 70 out around Ft. Dix (25 miles each way for me back then). I'll be very curious to see what recommendations folks here offer. I wish I had one for you. That aroma certainly does stimulate the primitive old sense/scent memory (olfactory bulb working overtime). Time now for today's ride out into the Great Swamp National Wildlife Reserve 'bout 70 or 100 miles north of the Pine Barrens (not likely to be a 50-miler). A different array of scents here. Swampy bog. Hot pavement. Off bug repellent.

Rob, hope the ride was enjoyable! Glad to have someone who knows the scent I'm referring to.

I don't think fir or spruce really figure in (no Christmas tree scents) but hopefully one of the Stirling scents will fit the bill. Thanks for the recommendations, fellas.

Top Bottom