What's new

Found old spice after shave but.something.odd.

Hello! I haven't posted in here for a while, however, I just recently moved and in this shady liquor store down my street I saw a bottle of old spice, price of 3.99, GREAT!

I picked it up, thinking it was American old spice, thought I'd take a whiff...................So, here is where things get...dicey.

1. Glass bottle. Yes, glass. No your eyes aren't fooling you.
2.Distributed by proctor and gamble, ohio.
3.Imported by P&G Canada(they do that with everything though, I assume).

My deal is this, I hear the American old spice comes in a plastic bottle, so I'm quite confused, and obviously this hasn't been sitting here for 50 years so it's not an original formula.

A little drop fell on my finger, and 30 minuets later, I still have a somewhat powdery but spicyish scent.
This ain't no old spice I've seen before.
Can some expert come and chime in?

:)

$IMG_0059.jpg$IMG_0060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like the 90s stuff, think it was imported in US in glass until early-mid 2000s. I found a similar bottle of OS Fresh in Las Vegas about 4 years ago. Then when my FiL passed I received 4 different bottles of OS.

$IMG_0266.jpg
$IMG_0267.jpg

The Left most bottle is, I believe, the last of the Glass Bottle OS in the US. Its the stuff from Canada. This is also what my bottle of OS Fresh looks like.

The Middle Bottle, I have an Aftershave and small Cologne. This is the 80s-late 90s US production, I believe.

The Right Bottle is... The Original, 70s-early 80s era Shulton.

My wife says that her Father got OS and wore it for work, but he really liked an old fragarance called Russian Leather for getting fancied up. I found her a half bottle of Russian Leather that she gave to him about 6 months before he passed and he wore it every chance he got. Its been just a couple days over a year.

Anyway, I am sure we have some better scent experts on here, but I believe I am pretty close on my time tables. You have a nice score there!!

That looks like the 90s stuff, think it was imported in US in glass until early-mid 2000s. I found a similar bottle of OS Fresh in Las Vegas about 4 years ago. Then when my FiL passed I received 4 different bottles of OS.
The Left most bottle is, I believe, the last of the Glass Bottle OS in the US. Its the stuff from Canada. This is also what my bottle of OS Fresh looks like.

The Middle Bottle, I have an Aftershave and small Cologne. This is the 80s-late 90s US production, I believe.

The Right Bottle is... The Original, 70s-early 80s era Shulton.

My wife says that her Father got OS and wore it for work, but he really liked an old fragarance called Russian Leather for getting fancied up. I found her a half bottle of Russian Leather that she gave to him about 6 months before he passed and he wore it every chance he got. Its been just a couple days over a year.

Anyway, I am sure we have some better scent experts on here, but I believe I am pretty close on my time tables. You have a nice score there!!

I have and remember well the mid and the right, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the left one before.

I believe someone mentioned about setting the left bottle when they ordered from Germany, also...

I know that for the real deal, you should order it from India. That's what I did, and still have several bottles waiting to be opened in my collection. Glass bottles and all, with the same fragrance I remember when I was a little kid.

I know that for the real deal, you should order it from India. That's what I did, and still have several bottles waiting to be opened in my collection. Glass bottles and all, with the same fragrance I remember when I was a little kid.

Any sites you can recommend?

Sadly, my source in India dried up, but many others have vendors they trust on eBay. I do have one left on that site I get my Shulton Original Old Spice cream from, though. If you are interested in that, feel free to PM me. But again, my vendor for the aftershave dried up. Bobcat might be able to help you with the name of one he uses...

Hmm, cool, looks like I have a oldie but a goody.

I guess you should always check those small convenience stores, you never know what you'll find! Wonder if someone has a tub of dixie peach anywhere in the back shelves sitting since '58(petrolium never goes bad does it?)

Anywho, again, there is one bottle left, so if anyone wants a trade or something, I don't mind picking it up for them, it's much cheaper than the seemingly 8-10$ going price. If not, I'm buying it and keeping it for my own greedy self!

If there is "the real stuff" available in India do any vendors carry it, or is it strictly an ebay item. If the latter will all OS from India be "the real stuff" or is there something to look for to ensure getting "the real stuff"?

If there is "the real stuff" available in India do any vendors carry it, or is it strictly an ebay item. If the latter will all OS from India be "the real stuff" or is there something to look for to ensure getting "the real stuff"?

I think the general rule is a glass bottle.

But honestly, I think aside from SOME notes, the scent doesn't really make that drastic of a difference.

Top Bottom