What's new

so. Derby, huh?

I have used them and they've been great! However, this could show that there is a large quality control issue with their production as their are such polarized views as to their performance.

I ordered a sampler from WCS, and the prevailing attitude on here made me start with a Red IP, follow with a Feather then move on through the sampler. And because of the general dislike of Derby blades, I tried them last. And I liked them the most. Will I go back and try the others again? You bet. But for now the Derbys are my go to blade. It seems like everything with shaving is YMMV, these are no different.

As you can tell by my signature below, they are my favorite blade. I have over 400 double edge ones and another 300 single edge ones sitting at my house. I will enjoy my shave with each and every one and have no intention of trying anything else for a Looooong time.

I dont care about trends or fitting in, they literally did not work for me. At all. I couldnt even finish the shave... in to the circular file they went.

you know, when I got my first sampler pack I LOVED the astras. They worked the best out of all of them. Now, for some reason they do just fine *** not bad XTG but ATG they just get hung up and dont want to cut. odd really... too bad I bought 100 of them lol. Lately I have been liking the Wilkinsons (England) and they have been working quite well. I dont think my facial hair got any different, but who knows. I am still trying to nail down pairings for which blades do best in which razors, because there is a noticeable difference for me. Maybe we're all just nuts... lol. I guess that is why YMMV :blink:

I used to hate them but have found that my lather was too watery and thin . Now I even shave my head with them . They last me about 3 or 4 shaves .

And I still don't get how they are recommended for beginners. My first shave with a EJ89 was with a Derby and looking back, I'd rather have a sharper blade.

I agree, not sure why someone would want to start with a dull blade?

For that matter, I don't know why you want a dull blade in the first place. If you prefer a mild shave, get a mild razor with a sharp blade.

I picked up two packs of Derbys. The first was and orange pack from Sally's Beauty. I had only used Walgreens blades (Personna?) and Feather before. The Derbys felt like they were pulling on the whiskers instead of cutting them. Hurts! Tried a second blade, same problem. I got a green pack from a sampler, and same thing! Tried a second blade, same problem.

I just tried a Derby. It was feeling like tugging but got en excelent irritation free shave. So they are not so bad for me.....

Derby is way down on the list for me but I can always use them and do OK. Just OK. My go to, buy in bulk blades are Astra SP and Personna Super.

Top Bottom