What's new

New driver

I am looking to buy a new driver for the summer and currently have the taylormade burner. anyone tried anything new that was just outstanding?

I personally think you can't beat the Ping G5. I've played G10 and Raptors and neither was as long or straight. Haven't had a chance to play the new G15 yet though.

Just picked up an 09 Taylormade Tour Burner myself (9.5 loft / stiff shaft) It's fantastic for the current prices (sub 200's). Great trajectory with my club head speed, if you're slower than 100mph i'd recommend the regular flex shaft. I prefer it over the R9's movable weights technology, which is just a bandaid system for a bad swing.

I bought a new Callaway FT-9 last year and love it. I'm a lot more consistent with it. Also, with the Diablo Edge's just coming out I think I've seen the price has come down drastically.

interesting... I enjoy my taylormade burner but when I played last my buddy had the titleist driver and it felt really good. any thoughts on the titleist drivers? Also anyone know of good golf courses around the st louis area?

interesting... I enjoy my taylormade burner but when I played last my buddy had the titleist driver and it felt really good. any thoughts on the titleist drivers? Also anyone know of good golf courses around the st louis area?

Never liked the feel of Titleist drivers. I use a Callaway FT-5 (neutral) with a Fujikura 150 graphite shaft. Very forgiving on off-center hits and penetrating ball flight.

As far as St. Louis courses go, my favorites:

The Missouri Bluffs
Innsbruck Resort
Tapawingo
Pevely Farms

I am looking to buy a new driver for the summer and currently have the taylormade burner. anyone tried anything new that was just outstanding?

It is difficult to give advice as far as club selection is concerned without knowing a little more about your current hardware and game. Although drivers are generally becoming easier to use and more forgiving, there is still a large gap between the "player's club" and the "average club golfer's club".
I have been a fan of Titleist for a long time, although I haven't yet tried their most recent offerings.

I know this goes against all the advertising hype and nonsense prevalent today, but if you don't have a single digit handicap, the best new driver for you would be your current 3 wood.

If you are set on buying a new club, remember, unless the shaft is the correct length and proper flex for you, you are doing nothing more than wasting your money no matter what brand you buy.

I haven't played in awhile, but the weather is getting better. Right now I have the taylormade burner stiff shaft and a set of the taylormade r7 irons. I will go and try the callaway at some virtual range and see how it goes.

I just picked up a new driver and irons--my 13 year old confiscated my old clubs. I hit a few Titleists, the new Callaway Edge, and the G15. The G15 driver blew them away--I didn't care for the G15 irons. Distance on good hits was roughly the same, but with the Ping I had more consistency and less loss of distance/accuracy with mis-hits.

I just picked up a new driver and irons--my 13 year old confiscated my old clubs. I hit a few Titleists, the new Callaway Edge, and the G15. The G15 driver blew them away--I didn't care for the G15 irons. Distance on good hits was roughly the same, but with the Ping I had more consistency and less loss of distance/accuracy with mis-hits.

+1 My club had a Ping demo day today and I got to try out the G15 with the same Graffaloy Blue stiff that I currently play and I was very impressed. I'm still partial to my G5 though and will play it until something a LOT better comes along.

Every time I see this thread, I think someone has a child getting ready to turn 16. :lol:

As for the driver, I've always loved my Taylor Made woods.

Top Bottom