What's new

What are we drinking?

Lately I have become bored with my usual cosmopolitain. I switched, for the length of a 750ml, to manhattens. I suppose it was alright, but didn't inspire within me a great desire to continue drinking them. It isn't yet G&T season. I am at a loss for something to drink. What cocktails would you suggest I try? Keep in mind that when I don't know what to drink I usualy drink straight alcahol, rum scotch wiskey that sort of thing...

I generally keep a handful of whiskies in an open rotation. Currently, they are: Lagavulin 16 SMSW (almost always in the lineup), Caol Ila 18 SMSW, (ri)1 rye whiskey, Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel KSBW, and Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel Sour Mash KSBW.

I tend to keep things pretty simple...either neat or rocks. However, I do indulge in a summertime cocktail, the Mint Julep.

Try a classic Old Fashioned with rye and no orange wheel/marsachino cherry (just a nice wide bit of orange peel instead).

As basic and good as it gets.

My father was always a huge scotch drinker. He came from a pretty wealthy family in Africa and took nothing along with him on his journey here except some of the finest scotch his father owned.

In my possession, I have about 13 of the best single malts I've ever had in my lifetime. When my father moved to Chicago, he left all of his liquor collection, most of it consists of rare single malt gems, to me:thumbup:. Some of these are fairly young, ranging from about 8-12 years. Others, and one of my favorites is a 26 year Inchgower, every sip gets a bit more complex, smoky and a bit nutty.

Any single malt will do, but honestly, you can even sift through the blends and find some decent pieces.

My father was always a huge scotch drinker. He came from a pretty wealthy family in Africa and took nothing along with him on his journey here except some of the finest scotch his father owned.

In my possession, I have about 13 of the best single malts I've ever had in my lifetime. When my father moved to Chicago, he left all of his liquor collection, most of it consists of rare single malt gems, to me:thumbup:. Some of these are fairly young, ranging from about 8-12 years. Others, and one of my favorites is a 26 year Inchgower, every sip gets a bit more complex, smoky and a bit nutty.

Any single malt will do, but honestly, you can even sift through the blends and find some decent pieces.

Salivating...

What is your address again?:biggrin1:

Try a classic Old Fashioned with rye and no orange wheel/marsachino cherry (just a nice wide bit of orange peel instead).

Amazing cocktail. However, be careful where you order this drink because many of the younger bar tenders don't know how to make it. It's sad really.

I would also point you to this webpage: http://www.magnificentbastard.com/features/magnificent-bastard-cocktail-tournament Some of them look like they would lead to an exciting night out!

I agree, that's always a winner when made right and not watered down by muddling a thick orange slice. It's also good made with bourbon if the rye they have isn't decent, but if that's the case I'd choose a bourbon that doesn't have a pronounced characteristic flavour like Black Jack Daniels or Dickel #12 has to my palate ... but I'd rather have it made with rye if possible.

They're just mellow enough to be sneaky, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom