What's new

So What Do You Use as a Home Defense Weapon?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The firearm is my last consideration when it comes to home defense.

First is to make sure you address the basics.

Multi pane tempered glass at entrances and at least two locked doors to get through at each entrance.

Multipoint locks on doors.

Motion activated lights and cameras.

The ability for me to control what is lighted and what is dark from any place in the house.

A plan for shelter or retreat to a location of shelter.

A way to call 911 through multiple phone lines.

Whatever handgun I happen to be carrying at the time until I can get to the place of shelter.

A 20 gauge pump action loaded with #4 shot as well as a quick open safe that has several S&W loaded 1917's with a couple pre-loaded moon clips for each.

Something to read while waiting for the Calvary to arrive.

More for peace of mind than with the intention of entering a gunfight as homeinvasions are quite rare here. Also having brick walls between 6 to 20 inches is calming should a round go astray…
S&W 625 with 185grs +p JHP
EC8CBDA6-CED5-4869-AE20-191FF9BEADF7.jpeg

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I live in N.Ireland where its really hard to get a hand gun licence and even then most of them are kept on site on the shooting range. But I do keep a baseball bat handy just incase I dont care what the police think or do anyone who breaks into my house is getting over the head

Is home invasion that prevalent now that you need to be armed to protect your property?

Sorry, I have never lived in such an environment anywhere in Asia or Australia.
In a word….no.
That can be readily attributed to the fact that everyone in this neck of the woods “…is within arms reach of some sort of firearm“ (paraphrasing the local law enforcement).
Polk County, TN is a designated firearms sanctuary; Tennessee is an open carry state. Hence, these are issues the criminal element has in mind when deciding if it’s really worth the effort to mess with you.
When at the local markets, or buying gas, the unabashed possession and carry of firearms within the community is quite commonplace.
27A1093B-D2C3-49D5-9863-D58E3EC3E774.jpeg

I keep a 12 guage for home safety, just like I keep health insurance. I hope to never need either to save my life, but I am not going to be without either should the need arise. It is an effective way to ensure I have protection in my home and is far quicker than the response time after dialing 911. We have an excellent police force here, but they can't be everywhere at once.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I keep multiple loaded guns in various places throughout my house. Wife's night stand has a revolver with .38 Spl. defensive loads, my nightstand has a few loaded hand guns. Mossberg 590 with 00 buck and slugs in a side saddle resides in the BR closet. A .300 BO with Surefire light is close by. My mancave has various loaded firearms. Guest bedroom has a loaded AR in the closet. No kids or juvenile visitors. I'm never more than a room away from a loaded gun. I live in a dangerous house in a relatively "safe" neighborhood. My closest neighbor is 100 yds. away through the woods. Not overly worried about over penetration.

Last edited:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Life is full of risks. I do not burden myself with trying to mitigate every risk that I can think of. I only try to mitigate those risks that are more common. Fortunately home invasions that is actually physically threatening is extremely rare wherever I have lived or visited during my life. I am also not such a materialistic person that I need to harm another to "protect" my possessions.

Of course others may be in a different environment and/or think more of their material possessions.
I agree life is full of risks and you cannot prevent, predict or foresee them all, but I can try. As for my material possessions, every one of them was earned by a piece of my life burned in pursuit of said possession. The thief is not stealing the item, the vandal is not destroying the property, they are taking a piece of my life that I can never recover.

I donate my time, money and things as I see fit. If a person in need asks and I can provide, I will. But I will not allow anything to be taken by force or threat without a response in kind.

All my guns were lost in a terrible fishing accident.

Last edited:
Do you guys subscribe to the notion that a pump action is the best for home defense as it rarely malfunction vs a semi-auto? What I really want is either an M2 or M4. Maybe just an M4

To answer that questions, look at what the professionals use. Many US law enforcement and military organizations use either the Mossberg 500/590 shotguns or the Remington 870 as both are reliable. In a home invasion, it is unlikely that more than a few shots will be fired before either you or the perpetrators will be incapacitated. Thus, the limited capacity of a pump shotgun is not a serious limitation.

The advantage of a semi-auto shotgun is that some of the recoil will be absorbed by the mechanism rather than your shoulder.

I guess I would say my Winchester 1200 12 gauge pump shotgun. I actually removed it from it's case last night, pulled the magazine plug and loaded 5 rounds of 3 inch magnum 00 buckshot rounds into. I haven't fired it in probably 20 years. I really didn't think I would need to keep a weapon handy as I have never needed one before. Things began to change last weekend when we were awoken last weekend on a Saturday night with our doorbell ringing at 2 am. When I finally get to the door, my neighbor from 2 doors down is yelling at me about my dogs barking. My dogs were inside in their kennels sleeping just like my wife and I were in bed. I tried to tell him it wasn't our dogs and he is yelling whose dogs are they? I told him I don't know whose dog it was, we were all sound asleep. I got pretty agitated with him and told him to GTF off of my property. I thought it was over then yesterday while I was out grilling he walks by and says if our dogs bark again in the middle of the night he is going to kill them. This guy is really pissed and I told him again it wasn't our dogs. He continued to rave and I was getting tired of him and asked him if he wanted some cheese to go with his whine. Probably shouldn't have done that. He wanted to fight me right then and there. I told him to stay off my property and he walks up to my wife's car and spits on it and tells me to go ahead call the police. The dude is seething with anger. I probably should have called the police but our house is up for sale which he can plainly see and I just want to get away from this nut case. After that is when I prepped my shotgun. Be prepared right? Hopefully nothing should come of this but do you really know what someone with anger issues might do? The shotgun is a last resort, hopefully never needed. If he comes back to my door I won't even open it or talk to him but just call the police.

To answer that questions, look at what the professionals use. Many US law enforcement and military organizations use either the Mossberg 500/590 shotguns or the Remington 870 as both are reliable. In a home invasion, it is unlikely that more than a few shots will be fired before either you or the perpetrators will be incapacitated. Thus, the limited capacity of a pump shotgun is not a serious limitation.

The advantage of a semi-auto shotgun is that some of the recoil will be absorbed by the mechanism rather than your shoulder.
I have fired 12 gauge 3 inch magnum buckshot rounds from a pump action shotgun. There is considerable recoil. In a life and death situation though I don't know if I would notice it much due to the fear and adrenaline.

OKS addressed Rayclem's over penetration argument extremely well.

I would pile on to note that if your buckshot load of choice is 8 or 9 pellet ( I prefer 8) FLITECONTROL by Federal, it will routinely hold a sub 5 inch group (often 1/2 of that ) at 40 (13ish yards) all day long in an open bore shotgun.

Of course, one needs to "pattern" any load to a given shotgun to know for sure.

I have seen the load hold sub 6 inches at 15 yards with "range" 870 shotguns on a routine basis during agency qualification.

I would respectfully offer that federal Flitecontrol buckshot will shoot a tight enough group for home defense in the vast majority of interior dwellings without fear of over penetration and/or missing because of a "flyer" if the shooter otherwise does their part...just as they would have to do with any other platform.

Top Bottom