What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Razor Dorko Solingen 7/8 Near Wedge
This shave with the razor after going thru a 2nd pasted balsa stropping was so much better...the edge was keen and yet very smooth. Managed 3passes without any weepers nor irritation for a better efficiency ccs result. It's nice being able to enjoy and get more from this razor.
View attachment 1311473
View attachment 1311472

Awesome, any thoughts of how she shaves compared to other razors
Awesome razor

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
15.jpeg

Hard Solfen 50 YSS2 steel
Chicago Grooming Co Shiloh
Maggard’s 22mm B&W synth in acrylic handle
Actually shown is a 26mm B&W synth in a handle made from the same material. I assembled both a few days ago, but apparently did an inadequate job on the 26mm - the knot fell out when I went to shake the water out of the brush!

DE92D7C8-0713-4334-A63D-74846D2A9200.jpeg

Tonight was a test run of new equipment. Hammond razor, Frankona bowl, and a new synthetic knot from Maggards. The brush and bowl exceeded expectations. More lather with less soap. The tail end looks a little foamy but it was really quite thick and just right.

The razor took a minute to get used to. My usual no-pressure approach didn't work. It wanted to stick to my skin. (I had this experience when I first honed it and I went back to the hones thinking I had missed something). But no, it just wants a slightly heavier hand. 3 passes, almost no irritation, and a shave as close as any of my others. Very odd. I was sure that with the pressure I was using that I would be full of regrets, but my skin feels amazing.

Anyone else have this experience? It's a 1/4 hollow Solingen with a method edge.
20210814_212805.jpg

Anyone else have this experience? It's a 1/4 hollow Solingen with a method edge.

Is that Hammond 5/8? Looks narrower to me. When I get down towards 4/8 territory or beyond, it takes a little more attention/effort/pressure for me to keep the edge in proper contact with hone, strop, or skin. The edge tends to float right up.

My edges are typically balsa/diamond strop finished, though I have strayed from lapping films to (mostly) short steps on synthetic hones with a Naniwa 12k as the final hone. Pretty darn similar to full Method edges in my experience.

Is that Hammond 5/8? Looks narrower to me. When I get down towards 4/8 territory or beyond, it takes a little more attention/effort/pressure for me to keep the edge in proper contact with hone, strop, or skin. The edge tends to float right up.

My edges are typically balsa/diamond strop finished, though I have strayed from lapping films to (mostly) short steps on synthetic hones with a Naniwa 12k as the final hone. Pretty darn similar to full Method edges in my experience.
I'd call it 5/8. It's 5/8 from the back of the spine to the edge. I guess if you measure from the hone line it's more like 9/16. I have a couple 4/8 full hollows that would turn my face into sushi if I used that kind of pressure. They do require full attention though, for sure.

Awesome, any thoughts of how she shaves compared to other razors
Awesome razor
Hey, thanks for asking. Ermmm, let me see if I can describe...I am just into my 47th SR shaves and this razor is just used 6 times. Compare to my other SRs, this razor is hefty which I like, the edge is really silent, it's smooth...haven't nick myself yet but after the initial stropping on pasted balsa caused some irritations. I was unable to get a good efficient result with it and always only at SAS.
I always thought a heavier grind is better for me but somehow not convince now. Anyway, this razor is due to return to the owner and I thought let's put it through another round of pasted balsa strop...and voila, I can see and feel and keener edge and a bit more efficient result...perhaps with more use, I may really realize the potential...
It is an awesome razor indeed...and it's still on loan with the option to purchase...can be paid in 4 installments...and an offer I don't know how to resist... 😅😅😅 I am still unsure as I kinda like my other smaller razors...
I believe you have the same? Can you share your thoughts? Advice?

Sun 15 SR SOTD
Soap Arko Stick
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor P Hospital Le Grelot Thiers
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Old Spice Original
Reliable soap with a pleasant scent and a great slick lather...
2nd shave with the razor but this time put through a short run on the 0.1um pasted balsa. The result was a slightly more keener edge but yet still as smooth. Managed 3+passes for a ccs to sas finish with a micro red spot. This is a very enjoyable razor...
20210815_124004.jpg

Hey, thanks for asking. Ermmm, let me see if I can describe...I am just into my 47th SR shaves and this razor is just used 6 times. Compare to my other SRs, this razor is hefty which I like, the edge is really silent, it's smooth...haven't nick myself yet but after the initial stropping on pasted balsa caused some irritations. I was unable to get a good efficient result with it and always only at SAS.
I always thought a heavier grind is better for me but somehow not convince now. Anyway, this razor is due to return to the owner and I thought let's put it through another round of pasted balsa strop...and voila, I can see and feel and keener edge and a bit more efficient result...perhaps with more use, I may really realize the potential...
It is an awesome razor indeed...and it's still on loan with the option to purchase...can be paid in 4 installments...and an offer I don't know how to resist... [emoji28][emoji28][emoji28] I am still unsure as I kinda like my other smaller razors...
I believe you have the same? Can you share your thoughts? Advice?

Thx for your additional information,,,Just researching and learning about vintage German straights, unfortunately do not own a Dorko yet but they seem amazing,,,,

Thx for posting as razor seems marvelous
[emoji19]

Top Bottom