What's new

Are variety packs REALLY best for new shavers?

New shavers are often advised to get a variety pack of blades to see what he might like best. However, as he is still to get used to shaving, maybe this isn't the best idea. At least, not chopping and changing the blade for every shave in order to try the different blades in impatience? Maybe it is more experienced shavers who can make best use of sample packs with more experience of shaving, finding the best soap etc.

Reading reviews from experienced shavers can help with most things in ‘traditional’ wet shaving.

Blades are the exception IME. I need to try blades for myself. Sometimes, a well regarded blade, Feathers come to mind, just does not work for me. Other times, a blade that flies under the radar proves surprisingly effective, for example Silver Stars or Dorco Primes! Hence, the appeal of blade sampler packs!
:a29: :a29:

Mcblade had a good recommendation buy 5-10 blades of each. You could also use the sharpness scale and sort it by average sharpness.

Last edited by a moderator:
New shavers are often advised to get a variety pack of blades to see what he might like best. However, as he is still to get used to shaving, maybe this isn't the best idea. At least, not chopping and changing the blade for every shave in order to try the different blades in impatience? Maybe it is more experienced shavers who can make best use of sample packs with more experience of shaving, finding the best soap etc.
And what happens if the first blade he uses is bad for that particular razor? Or if it has some kind of coating that strongly irritates his skin? He'll just give up right away and return to cartridges or electric or whatever he used before. I have seen this many times.

In my opinion, you only need to try a mild blade and see how it goes. Blades such as Voskhod or Gillette Platinum or Lord Platinum. If those blades feel good, then no reason to change. If you feel any kind of tugging and discomfort, if you feel your hair being pulled at all, that means you need a sharper blade. The default widely available in every supermarket sharp/smooth blade is the German Wilkinson Sword (not Gilette Wilkinson sword made in India). Once you get the technique down, you can try other sharp blades such as Silver Star/Asco and Bic chrome.

If your beard is soft and you want something even milder than the mild blades, then try Shark super stainless/Lord Cool or Astra SP.
So to sum up, determine your beard type first by trying a mid tier blade, then test a 'default blade' for your type until you're really comfortable with it, then start testing other blades in that same rank.

In my experience, I have a very hard beard an I only wasted time on mild blades, they literally pull out my hair and leave a blood spot. So there's no reason for me to spend any time with Shark, Voskhod, Derby, Astra Sp, Rapiras and Kai. If one mild blade is no good, the other ones aren't either. I learned the hard way that only sharp blades work for me and now I'm testing those to see which one I like best.

Last edited:
I'm coming up on a full year of learning to use a DE. I grabbed some sample packs to start out and then picked even more new tucks along the way. Eventually I found a blade I liked (GSB) and acquired a 100 pack. Starting out with samples was helpful. I quickly learned that Sharks weren't for my face. Other blades were very smooth, but didn't cut well.

I'm not following why using sample packs would be a bad thing. If they get a dud or a blade that doesn't agree with their face then why does that matter? They can try again the next day with a new Blade or a different brand. They will find a blade that works. A person that quits shaving after one poor shave didn't give it much effort.

Sample packs are great for a newbie. Or a new razor which should shave well but is behaving badly.
But
Always try several days with the same blade some change to the better others do not.
Go for known good volume blades which lots of people like and not something exotic.
Go for 5-10 blades every type
Go for mild, medium, sharp levels
Go for coated first and in trouble try uncoated.
Blades also match razors, so if you do not like it in this one shelve it for when you have a new razor and it gives a headache.

I ordered a sample pack (17 tucks of five blades each IIRC) when I got started. I also read up on blade sharpness. I started with the least sharp...probably a mistake...should have started in the middle. Anyway it helped me narrow the field of candidate blades...the rest went to my son-in-law, who seems indifferent to blade type. I ended up trying Feathers, which quickly became a favorite. That would not have happened except that the Feathers were included in the sample. I now have a half-dozen or so “keeper” blades that I rotate through with different razors.

My advice: Try different blades. Give them a fair chance. Give away the ones you don’t like. Try different blades in different razors. Have fun with it.

I always recommend that a new shaver picks one well-regarded and easily accessible blade like an Astra SP. We should always limit variables with a new user so we want to focus on shaving technique first. Once the user has sufficient success with that blade then sample packs can be useful. Otherwise, new users tend to think that blade choice is the problem rather than technique. I think experienced shavers tend to greatly overstate the difference between blades because they’ve trained themselves on the subtle differences. A newbie doesn’t have that skill and should be able to get an acceptable shave with any reputable blade before trying to optimize with blade choice.

Just in case.

And the most useful is

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I agree with what @Stubblebum posted...nothing wrong with a sampler pack, but it's not necessary to swap a blade out after one shave. You can keep it in for several shaves to see not only how it feels while shaving, but also gauge its longevity. The exception to that would be...you realize very quickly that the blade you just put in is just not for you. And that can happen for sure.

Top Bottom