What's new

Challenge PIF - Astra Superior Stainless Blades - Then And Now

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
The coolness factor of shaving with a 50-year old Astra SS is overcoming the normal blade retirement cycle after 3-6 shaves. Closeness has degraded after 8 shaves... my ugly mug is no longer smooth at 5 p.m. But there’s zero irritation, even with 3-passes. And it’s just too cool not to push the blade as far as it will go.

Did I mention this challenge is just too cool?

Wed 12 Astra blade challenge Round 3 (with RR G37 Slant) - Blade#1 Russian Astra Superior Stainless Shave #3
Soap Stirling Hipster
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice Badger
Razor RR G37 Slant
Blade Russian Astra Superior Stainless 3rd
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Hyaluronic + TGS Chronos
Very nice soap!! Great scent, thickly creamy and slick lather...beautiful!!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was excellent!! Really smooth and comfortable yet crisply sharp! 3passes for a mostly bbs result but 1 weeper...Excellent aftershaves too...
Round 3 Astra blade challenge using the RR G37 Slant
Czech Astra Superior Stainless - WTG/XTG & ATG is very smooth with good efficiency & an overall rating of 9.8
Russian Astra Superior Stainless - WTG/XTG & ATG is very smooth with even better efficiency & an overall rating of 9.5 due to a weeper
Round 3 contest is a draw. Somehow the Russian blade is more efficient (next round using the same blades but with the Fatip OC Slant)
20210511_234116.jpg
20210512_072736.jpg

ThunderDome Challenge, ‘Two Blades Enter, One Blade Leaves!’

Purpose:
To pick a winner, no ties allowed!

Methods: No blinding. Wolfman WR1 (my ‘daily driver’) will be loaded with the test blade. Then I use my (whatever looks good this AM) rotation of (mostly) ‘tallow’ soaps, badger brushes and assorted splashes.

Each shave will be judged using my ‘10 point’ scale during a week of shaves. Then on to the next blade.

Not exactly ‘scientific’ but this is the best I can do these days!

Results:

Astra SS (Modern Russian) Blade 1
Shave #1: 9.5
Shave #2: 10
Shave #3: 9
Shave #4: 9.5
Shave #5: 9.5
Shave #6: 9
Shave #7: 9
Average: 9.4

Vintage Astra SS (Czech) Blade 1
Shave #1: 9
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 9.5
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5
Shave #7: 8.5
Average: 8.9

Astra SS (Modern Russian) Blade 2
Shave #2: 9.5
Shave #3: 10

Discussion: Another very fine shave! These blades are very consistent.

Modern Astra Superior Stainless Blade #2 - Shave #3

TL;DR -
Ouch! Skidded around the corner, and splat! Performance drop and some lasting irritation

Equipment: Gillette Heritage, modern Astra SS blade (3), PdP B&T shave soap, GrayDog GreyWolf brush

Results: I am not sure what I did differently. I setup just like yesterday's shave, loving the PdP B&T, but today's shave featured skin irritation that lasted a while after the shave and a couple of weepers. I would love to be getting @Messygoon's or @Demolition's results, but this blade is done after only 3 shaves.

Shave 2 with the vintage Astra Stainless. A very smooth blade but as with the first shave, left a little more stubble than desired after the third pass. So shave 2 with the vintage reveals it is just as smooth as the modern was during shave 2, but not quite as sharp. Still a very nice blade.

proxy.php

Seventh shave with the Astra Superior Stainless (Modern) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

A real mixed bag, this time.

The Yaqi Aqua Tuxedo/RR Blue Label pairing has always generated a great lather for me. Today's outing was no exception. No other comment needed on that topic. However, there's plenty to say about the FOCS/modern Astra SS.

To be blunt, this modern Astra SS is now toast. After my last shave with this blade, I thought that it was ready to go in the bin. But, I decided to give it one more try. Well, that was a mistake! Right from the first stroke, the modern Astra SS was tuggy and rough. I soldiered through the WTG pass and partway through the ATG pass, but had to stop. I ended up finishing the ATG and XTG passes with the vintage Astra SS.

So, this modern Astra SS lasted 6.5 uses and almost all of them had issues. This is extremely disappointing, especially considering the praise heaped on this blade by many folks on B&B. I sincerely hope that this blade was defective because it certainly wasn't up to the standard that I expected after reading all these glowing reviews. Let's hope that the second blade lives up to the hype.

(Sorry about sounding so crabby, but I tolerated a string of bad shaves with this blade and I'm kind of pissed off. :001_tongu )

FDC33ACC-F319-4019-AE61-5D0ED9B4B101.jpeg

3rd shave with the modern:
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB
Astra Stainless Modern (3)
Simpson Chubby 1
Grooming Dept Preshave
Grooming Dept Maleki soap
Clubman Special Reserve aftershave

Vintage
Day 1: 9.5
Day 2: 10
Day 3: 9
Day 4: 9
Day 5: 8.5

Modern
Day 1: 10
Day 3: 9.5

Last edited:
Thu 13 Astra blade challenge Round 4 (with FOCS) - Blade#1 Czech Astra Superior Stainless Shave #4
Soap
CBL Dragon's Blood
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Fatip OC Slant
Blade Czech Astra Superior Stainless 4th
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Cella Milano
The soap was ok...enough mechanics to complete the shave. Feels slightly burning though...
Shave with razor paired with the blade was smooth and comfortable for 3passes without any issues for a bbs finish.
Round 4 Astra blade challenge using the RR G37 Slant
Czech Astra Superior Stainless - WTG/XTG & ATG is smooth & comfortable with an overall rating of 9.7
20210512_231619.jpg
20210513_110007.jpg

It's just that we got spoiled by the Mysterious KAI Blades!!
Yup, those were the days!

(All misty-eyed with nostalgia now. :crying: )

( 😂 )

So very interesting about the thing called YMMV...
I prefer these blades better than KAI...with a slight edge favouring the Russian Astra SS for now...
Agreed, blade (and razor, brush, and soap) preferences are quite subjective. There are so many factors involved in how something will feel on any given person's face, I sometimes wonder why I bother to read reviews.

Then, I remember that I don't have the time (or a bottomless wallet) to try every product and must rely on other people's opinion. (...even if they are completely wrong! 😜 😁 )

Modern Astra 2, shave 2

A much smoother experience for the second shave with this blade. Not amazing, but I was really enjoying it till I nicked myself at the end. Good results, near BBS in two passes. But I think I got nicked by the first blade as well, and while it’s likely operator error, I’m still blaming the blade.

8.5/10

9975B1FD-592D-449F-8FA7-E0CF088F4E4A.jpeg

ThunderDome Challenge, ‘Two Blades Enter, One Blade Leaves!’

Purpose:
To pick a winner, no ties allowed!

Methods: No blinding. Wolfman WR1 (my ‘daily driver’) will be loaded with the test blade. Then I use my (whatever looks good this AM) rotation of (mostly) ‘tallow’ soaps, badger brushes and assorted splashes.

Each shave will be judged using my ‘10 point’ scale during a week of shaves. Then on to the next blade.

Not exactly ‘scientific’ but this is the best I can do these days!

Results:

Astra SS (Modern Russian) Blade 1
Shave #1: 9.5
Shave #2: 10
Shave #3: 9
Shave #5: 9.5
Shave #6: 9
Shave #7: 9
Average: 9.4

Vintage Astra SS (Czech) Blade 1
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 9.5
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5
Shave #7: 8.5
Average: 8.9

Astra SS (Modern Russian) Blade 2
Shave #2: 9.5
Shave #3: 10
Shave #5: 9

Discussion: Another fine shave! These blades are very consistent.

Vintage Production Shave #3
2 days growth

Blade: Vintage Astra SS
Pre: Warm shower with Kirk's unscented Castile soap
Razor: SLOC
Soap: Poraso red
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla

Smooth going with two of my favorite scents and one of my favorite razors. The SLOC did extremely well with the vintage razor. 2 1/2 passes giving mostly BBS as has become par. No feedback from the aftershave. No tugging and no drama.

4th shave with the modern:
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB
Astra Stainless Modern (4)
Simpson Duke 2
Grooming Dept Preshave
Ethos Lavender soap
Ethos Lavender aftershave

Vintage
Day 1: 9.5
Day 3: 9
Day 4: 9
Day 5: 8.5

Modern
Day 1: 10
Day 3: 9.5
Day 4: 9.5

Associated gear:
Maggard 22mm 2-band badgers, one original, one in a Whipped Dog handle; PDP 63, Alum, Thayer's WH Toner, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Results:
Round 1: Edge to CZE
Shave #1 (NDC Tech) Astra CZE 8.5/10; Shave #2 ( I1 Tech) Astra RUS 8.0/10

Round 2: Edge to RUS
Shave #3 (I1 Tech) Astra CZE 8.0/10; Shave #4 (NDC Tech) Astra RUS 8.5/10

Round 3: Tie
Shave #5 (Stirling Aggressive head) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #6 (Maggard V3A head) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 4: Tie
Shave #7 (Maggard V3A head) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #8 (Stirling Aggressive head) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 5: Tiny edge to RUS
Shave #9 (Fatboy on 6) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #10 (Fatboy on 6) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 6: Edge to RUS
Shave #11 (Fatboy on 5) Astra CZE 8.0/10; Shave #12 (Fatboy on 5) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 7: Edge to CZE
Shave #13(Fatip Lo Storte OC Slant) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #14 (Fatip Lo Storte OC Slant) Astra RUS 8.5/10
To avoid cross-posting, I refer you to msgs. # 86-87 in the thread "Pass-Around: Who wants to try a Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale?".
These are the first shaves on the second edge of the blade.

proxy.php

Eighth shave with the Astra Superior Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

A very nice shave, today.

The Fine Classic/PdP No. 63 pairing is top-notch! A very light load of soap produced enough lather for six passes. The lather was creamy, dense, and extremely slick. I'm still not entirely sold on the scent, but I'm getting accustomed to it.

Meanwhile, the FOCS/vintage Astra SS is still performing well. My three usual passes were quick and comfortable with no sign of tugginess, yet. As before, I had to perform some extra buffing on the sides of my neck and around the Adam's apple, but there was no post-shave irritation, afterwards.

So far, the vintage Astra SS has outshone the modern SS by quite a bit. I'll be starting a new modern SS blade tomorrow, so we'll see if this holds up or not.

Fri 14 Astra blade challenge Round 4 (with FOCS) - Blade#1 Russian Astra Superior Stainless Shave #4
Soap Van Yulay Puros La Habana
Brush BOTI 26mm Fan Silvertip
Razor Fatip OC Slant
Blade Russian Astra Superior Stainless 4th
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel BayRum + Hyaluronic + Clubman Whiskey Woods
Nice cigarish scent from the soap but lather quality was just ok. Slick enough for the task.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was good again...reasonably smooth and comfortable for 3passes without any issues for a mostly bbs finish. Aftershaves were awesome, interestingly the witch hazel bayrum scent absolutely overpowers the whiskey woods.
Round 4 Astra blade challenge using the Fatip OS Slant
Czech Astra Superior Stainless - WTG/XTG & ATG is a tad more smooth, comfortable & efficient with an overall rating of 9.8
Russian Astra Superior Stainless - WTG/XTG & ATG is smooth & comfortable with an overall rating of 9.6
Round 4 contest result is the Czech Astra pip the Russian to the line and wins this round due to the slight efficiency result (next round using the same blades with a Gillette Vintage...hmmm, undecided for now)
20210514_115236.jpg

Top Bottom