What's new

Spent The Week With An Old Friend - EJ DE89

Broke out the DE89, put a fresh Rapira blade in it, and spent the week in bliss. 5 three pass shaves, each a DFS+ (I don't chase BBS). I had not use the EJ in a couple of years. I started out 20 years ago with the EJ, then moved on to other razors. The EJ can hold it's own with anything in my den. Just a really pleasant week with an old friend. I think we will be seeing each other more often.

I did sort of the same thing. I actually gave my DE89 to my grandson a couple of years ago. I hadn't used one for 6-7 years. One came up in the BST for $20 and I bought it. It is the rubber lined handle version. I put a new feather in it and had 4-5 very nice shaves. I used to think it was too mild but since my technique has improved it gave me nice close shaves and is a joy to use.

S

Scrubby

I used EJ DE89 as in-between to get from cartidges to straights. Remember I was very afrraid when I put it to my face the first time. Used it for 'under the shower' shaving. Went to straights some years ago, but still have fond memories of the DE89 times. Use it as my travel razor when straights + all the accoutrements that go with straight shaving are inconvenient.

Like many, an EJ DE89 was my first razor, terrible, couldn’t’t get a close or blood free shave. After 5 years of DE shaving I read a post here urging everyone to try a month with one razor, change blades, shave creams, angle, etc but use the same razor and learn how to maximize that razor’s effectiveness. I did that with my ‘89. It worked for me. The ‘89 is now one of my 3 favorite razors ( Rockwell 6S and Timeless SS the other ones). I find the Personna Platinum is the perfect blade for my 89, very close and a bit smoother than the Feather. Along with the ‘right’ shave cream I can get a BBS, near BBS every time with my ‘89. I still enjoy other razors for the variety, but the Edwin Jagger DE89 is my most frequently used razor now.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I always enjoyed the DE89 and found it very friendly and easy to use. Honestly, if it had been made of SS I would say the odds are great that I would still own only one razor.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I really don’t even have much of a rotation anymore. It’s pretty much the DE89 every time when I’m at home and a 40’s SS on the road. Maybe I should just buy another 89 for my truck.

I have a Gillette Heritage (same head as an EJ89 I think). I don't use it often as my Timeless sees the most use but I always get a very good shave with it. It's easy to see why it has remained so popular over the years.

I think the EJ 89 is a really nice looking razor, and I have one, but it is too mild for me. I am keeping mine around as a potential first razor for my son when he starts shaving in a couple of years. I am hoping I can convince him to skip cartridges altogether, but of course he'll have to find his own way ultimately.

Top Bottom