What's new

A truth about pipe smoking

This came to me this morning as I smoked my Savinelli loaded with EGR Blend.

What exactly is the value in smoking a pipe? You can get a bigger nicotine rush (traded off with the various risks we all know) with the cigarette. Your tobacco may have a great room note, but that's for other people. Yes, the pipes are beautiful objects, like miniature bits of furniture; but that's the esthetic part of the hobby, not the actual experience. "What," said I to myself, said I, "is the value in this?"

And it came to me between two puffs. It's that every time you smoke can be different!

Sure, once you've learned how to pack your pipe, how to keep it sweet and clean, how to polish it and refresh an oxidized stem, and once you've found a blend or blends you prefer, you've got it mostly dialed in.

But!

There are just too many variables for a smoker to say honestly, "This smoke with EGR blend in my Savinelli will give me the same results as when I smoked that combo last Wednesday."

For instance, my last time with this combo, I found the blend smoked a little hot, or at least it left me with some pepperiness on my tongue -- possibly a mild tongue bite. And I was not sure I liked the Latakia scent or flavor (it's the only leaf I have with that in it, so I guess that's what I'm tasting). Today, though, the pipe and blend smoked cool, with very little Latakia flavor, and what there was came to me as a hint of scent after I finished. Instance 2: My first 2 smokes with Carter Hall were excellent; my latest, yesterday morning, ran a little hot as well.

Differences between the pairs of smokes, well, that's what I mean. There are too many variables. Even if you try to rigidly control all the conditions, something will always be different: the way you packed the pipe; the wind outdoors and the temperature; the amount of time you left the flame in contact with the tobacco, either at the start or on a relight. Not to mention the differences when you use Blend A in Pipe B vs. Blend A in Pipe C, or what you ate just before the smoke, or what you're drinking during it.

A good smoke is something to look forward to. But it will always have differences, perhaps good surprises, perhaps not so pleasant ones, from all the others you've experienced.

And that is a big part of its value.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

What exactly is the value in smoking a pipe? You can get a bigger nicotine rush (traded off with the various risks we all know) with the cigarette. Your tobacco may have a great room note, but that's for other people. Yes, the pipes are beautiful objects, like miniature bits of furniture; but that's the esthetic part of the hobby, not the actual experience. "What," said I to myself, said I, "is the value in this?"

And it came to me between two puffs. It's that every time you smoke can be different!

Sure, once you've learned how to pack your pipe, how to keep it sweet and clean, how to polish it and refresh an oxidized stem, and once you've found a blend or blends you prefer, you've got it mostly dialed in.

But!

There are just too many variables for a smoker to say honestly, "This smoke with EGR blend in my Savinelli will give me the same results as when I smoked that combo last Wednesday."

For instance, my last time with this combo, I found the blend smoked a little hot, or at least it left me with some pepperiness on my tongue -- possibly a mild tongue bite. And I was not sure I liked the Latakia scent or flavor (it's the only leaf I have with that in it, so I guess that's what I'm tasting). Today, though, the pipe and blend smoked cool, with very little Latakia flavor, and what there was came to me as a hint of scent after I finished. Instance 2: My first 2 smokes with Carter Hall were excellent; my latest, yesterday morning, ran a little hot as well.

Differences between the pairs of smokes, well, that's what I mean. There are too many variables. Even if you try to rigidly control all the conditions, something will always be different: the way you packed the pipe; the wind outdoors and the temperature; the amount of time you left the flame in contact with the tobacco, either at the start or on a relight. Not to mention the differences when you use Blend A in Pipe B vs. Blend A in Pipe C, or what you ate just before the smoke, or what you're drinking during it.

A good smoke is something to look forward to. But it will always have differences, perhaps good surprises, perhaps not so pleasant ones, from all the others you've experienced.

Excellent post!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Seconded.

Edward G. Robinson. I had to look it up as Exhaust Gas Recirculation . . . while probably technically correct, didn't sound right.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The plusses I've found are as follows:

1) I can have a smoke, without being left craving for another, less than an hour later. Can't do that with cigs.

2) Affordability. Yes, it's a relatively expensive hobby here in the UK, but I can still have a decent length enjoyable smoke for around £1. I'd probably have to multiply that by 10 for cigars, and still wouldn't enjoy them anywhere near as much. That smoke which would possibly last me up to an hour, only costs the price of two cigarettes, which I would enjoy far less.

3) Simplicity. Stuff big hole in wooden end with tobacco. Wrap mouth around small hole at plastic end. Ignite. Suck. Grin.

4) Not duration specific. When I've had enough, just put it down, and come back to it later. If I'm busy and my mind is on other things, it won't just smoulder away to nothing, it will wait to me to relight and carry on. Therefore, it can be a five minute smoke, or a fifty minute smoke, and I don't have to decide that before I light it up.

5) The hot end stays away from parts of me likely to be singed, and if my impaired vision and spatial awareness means I offer the flame to the wrong area, I just need to shift it into the correct position, and I haven't wrecked the smoke. I can't even be certain of lighting a cigarette without destroying it these days.

To me, the variability isn't particularly a bonus, although those variations can advise you how to enjoy it more, such as knowing you're smoking too hot/fast. I don't like finishing a pipe, and realising I didn't enjoy that bowl as much as the one before, but I do accept the variability between bowls, rather than resent it.

I would equate pipe smoking to shaving with a straight razor. In contrast, cigarette smoking is like shaving with a cartridge razor. The cartridge razor may get the job done, but the straight razor accomplishes the task with style and finesse.

If Sherlock Holmes smoked cigarettes, it just would not be the same

I would equate pipe smoking to shaving with a straight razor. In contrast, cigarette smoking is like shaving with a cartridge razor. The cartridge razor may get the job done, but the straight razor accomplishes the task with style and finesse.

If Sherlock Holmes smoked cigarettes, it just would not be the same
True; the perception of the character is pipe all the way. I seem to recall that in the very first novel, Doyle does have Holmes smoking at least one cigarette at Baker Street. If it occurs again in the saga, it's rare and never dwelt on.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
True; the perception of the character is pipe all the way. I seem to recall that in the very first novel, Doyle does have Holmes smoking at least one cigarette at Baker Street. If it occurs again in the saga, it's rare and never dwelt on.
Pipe smoking is more associated with pondering, deep thought, reflection as well as serious mental relaxation while cigarette smoking is quite the opposite as it quickly satisfies an immediate need.

But!

Do you mind if I quote this on a Facebook forum if i promise not to take the credit?

I never smoked a pipe, but the memory of my father smoking his pipe and seeing him slowly enjoying the first lighting with a few gentle puffs, and then using his thump to tamper it down to then relax with his paper to slowly puff away then let it die down (till I thought it was out) then and that point re-alight the phoenix from the fire, is one of my fondest memories i have. He also used to rub his pipe on the sides of his nose to keep the wood oiled. It was like a craftsman taking pride in his job.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
When I had a stroke and got cancer I had to change many things in my life. One of the things I had to change was giving up smoking a pipe. It is one thing I miss the most. The whole process to me was a form of relaxation and stress relief. I loved everything from opening my pouch and the aroma of the tobacco to packing the pipe right down to the last draw. It was for me my thinking time. I did not get rid of my pipes and still look at them longingly. Anyhow I have different challenges now and smoking my pipe is a thing of the past. I also shaved with a straight razor but no longer can control the blade as well. I switched to DE razors which I can manager pretty well.

I still follow pipe threads on B&B and contribute when I can. Such is life!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
When I had a stroke and got cancer I had to change many things in my life. One of the things I had to change was giving up smoking a pipe. It is one thing I miss the most. The whole process to me was a form of relaxation and stress relief. I loved everything from opening my pouch and the aroma of the tobacco to packing the pipe right down to the last draw. It was for me my thinking time. I did not get rid of my pipes and still look at them longingly. Anyhow I have different challenges now and smoking my pipe is a thing of the past. I also shaved with a straight razor but no longer can control the blade as well. I switched to DE razors which I can manager pretty well.

I still follow pipe threads on B&B and contribute when I can. Such is life!

Might I suggest to you watching some of the late John Harden’s videos on YouTube (Matches 860). He had an easy, relaxed view of the world, told good stories (such as the one about the ice cream freezer), as he would puff away at various locations, on his various blends and pipes (such as the Friday Savinelli). He’ll get you as close to actually puffing away again on the porch with someone as anyone else can.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Might I suggest to you watching some of the late John Harden’s videos on YouTube (Matches 860). He had an easy, relaxed view of the world, told good stories (such as the one about the ice cream freezer), as he would puff away at various locations, on his various blends and pipes (such as the Friday Savinelli). He’ll get you as close to actually puffing away again on the porch with someone as anyone else can.
Many thanks.

Here's another reflection. Ever have an afternoon (or a day, or an evening) where you just don't want to smoke?

You have the opportunity; you have tobacco you like and pipes that smoke well. And yet . . . "Nah, not just now."

For me, true, it's warmish outside today, rather than being the sort of chill where the warmth of the pipe bowl in your hand is welcome. But I just don't feel like going through the ritual right now. Tomorrow, sure, if I get a chance. But not this afternoon. I doubt this means I've lost interest in pipes or pipe smoking!

Top Bottom