What's new

Anyone else?

I tried to search but probably didn't use the correct terms. I'm using a Mergress with Voskhod blades. I noticed one side shaves better than the other side. I assume the blade is more exposed on the better shaving side. Thinking about switching razors as this is becoming annoying. Anyone else? About a year ago I switched from Feather to the Russians. I used Feather for years but started getting really harsh shaves. I chalked that up to counterfeits. It is possible they changed manufacturing and they just stopped agreeing with me.

Has anyone else experienced one side shaving better than the other?

I know someone that started exercising this as well, just different hardware.
It was determined that age and the natural thinning of the skin due to age was the culprit.
If it's the first couple of shaves with a new blade is causing the irritation, I'd suggest reading threads related to corking blades. It's my understanding that this helps tame super sharp blades into producing smoother, less irritating shaves.

I've found this with a bunch of Rapira-family (including Voskhod) and Lord blades. I'd try a different blade (brand) before pinning it on the razor.

I've found this with a bunch of Rapira-family (including Voskhod) and Lord blades. I'd try a different blade (brand) before pinning it on the razor.
Wow never thought it could be the blade. Will try other brands as I have quite a few. I will report back here my findings.

linty1

My wallet cries.
When you say "one side shaves better than the other" do you mean your face? Or sides of the razor head? I get the feeling you mean the razor head and that the razor may be misaligned, hold in sideways and have a close look at how the blade sticks out? If not and i'm just off my rocker please ignore me, sorry.

It should not make a difference for blade alignment, but make sure the mark on the side of the topcap lines up with the triangle on the baseplate.

Triangle marks are always aligned. Tried a different brand of blade. At first it tricked me but after a few passes it was the same. The non dot side is more aggressive. I ordered a Pearl Flexi which arrived today. The Mergress maker got in touch with me. He is going to take a look at it so I am sending it off to him. When I get it back I will post back here. The alignment on the knob in relation to the dot is also off so he will adjust that as well.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
My first thought was this is an alignment issue. I would never consider that there's an issue with the blades. Different blades respond differently as we know. There are occasional problems with production in any areas of manufacturing but this is usually sorted pretty quickly, Skin changes with age as a previous poster has said and in some situations the growth on the face can be stronger on one side.
All things are possible.

If I'm using the dot side of the razor after a few ATG passes it won't shave any more. I turn it to the non dot side and it keeps shaving. It does that on any part of my face. The Flexi was the same on both sides but it had it's own issues. I shave closer with the Mergress on 3-4 compared to the Flexi fully opened. It's also not as smooth shaving as the Mergress at least on the first shave with it. Going to try an adjust my angle. It may have been I am so used to the angle of the Mergress I wasn't holding this correctly. Fully opened and a few more passes I was able to get it close to BBS.

Top Bottom