What's new

How I Manage Excess Lather

I have lots of soap. I wash off my face, razor and brush after I shave and be done with it.

When I am done shaving, my razor, brush and shaving bowl are spotless and put away until the next shave.

if I have a lot of later left over after my 3rd pass (rare), I may wash my hands with the remaining soap, but that it.

Whatever floats your boat in any case.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I aim to only produce as much lather as I need for one shave. Overloading, or making excess lather, is not the norm here. I get around 4 shaves per gram with hard soap, and maybe 2 per gram with softer soaps.

If I do overload, I'm more likely to do it with cream than with soap. However, with creams, I also bowl lather, or at least start the lather in a bowl. Any excess is squeeze from the brush into the lather bowl, an gets reincorporated at the next shave.

If I do happen to overload with soap, I'll just use it for washing my moderately long goatee.

To answer the OP I normally shower after shaving so rub any excess lather into my face, scalp, and body before doing so as the lather contains many ingredients which are beneficial to the skin. If my wife is about to have a shower then I rub the excess lather into her body whilst explaining that it is for her benefit [emoji106]

Awesome, and very considerate.

After my shave, I squeeze the lather from my brush back into my lather bowl for my next shave. It whips right up into a good as new lather for the next time. You are smart to get every bit of your use out of your soap. I can never understand why some people use so much soap, make so much lather and then flush it down the sink. On the other hand, it's their money and their business....
I do the same

I squeeze the leftovers out of the brush, run it over my hands, and wash it down the drain. There's no reason why other than I like how it feels. It's just lather and I have plenty of creams and soaps to shave with. And I don't think shaving cream is a scarce item.

So, I used to save my excess lather by just leaving it in the bowl. Now, like some have said, I have so many soaps that I am trying to get through them so I rinse it down the drain.

After my shave, I squeeze the lather from my brush back into my lather bowl for my next shave. It whips right up into a good as new lather for the next time. You are smart to get every bit of your use out of your soap. I can never understand why some people use so much soap, make so much lather and then flush it down the sink. On the other hand, it's their money and their business....
Yeah, I think it's a 'monkey see monkey do' situation. Guys emulate what they read on the forums and see in videos and because it gets the job done, they just keep doing it. I admit I sometimes roll my eyes seeing all these people suggesting and performing 30-60+ second load times just to waste most of it. The brush and soap used are variables in how long one should load, but I've yet to encounter any artisan soap that needed more than a 15 second load for 3 passes + touch up... even with natural hair brushes. Most need less than 10. Quad milled PDP, or something similar may need longer.

I read somewhere on here of a guy taking 1 second off his load time each time he shaved until he found his 'sweet spot'. I'd bet my bottom dollar if everybody on B&B did this most would find they need way, way less soap than they use.

Yeah, I think it's a 'monkey see monkey do' situation. Guys emulate what they read on the forums and see in videos and because it gets the job done, they just keep doing it. I admit I sometimes roll my eyes seeing all these people suggesting and performing 30-60+ second load times just to waste most of it. The brush and soap used are variables in how long one should load, but I've yet to encounter any artisan soap that needed more than a 15 second load for 3 passes + touch up... even with natural hair brushes. Most need less than 10. Quad milled PDP, or something similar may need longer.

I read somewhere on here of a guy taking 1 second off his load time each time he shaved until he found his 'sweet spot'. I'd bet my bottom dollar if everybody on B&B did this most would find they need way, way less soap than they use.
Coincidentally, and for no particular reason this morning, I cut my loading time roughly in half because... Well... Because I thought I probably could. I've never loaded my brush anywhere near thirty-seconds, much less sixty (all kidding aside, is that really a thing?) but today I did about five seconds and got through three passes, did some touch up and had just a smidgen of lather left over. This is using my standard combination of Stirling soap and a Simpson T3.

Interesting. Any "excess" lather I have is not so much "excess" for me. After I hit my face with alum and cleaning up my other gear I use rinse my face and use the "excess" lather to wash my face again and my hands. I also use it to clean my glasses to help cut down on fogging.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
I’ve been puzzled about washing my face with the excess lather when I just took a shower. But now I see I could be washing the alum off with it instead of sending it down the drain. Great idea. I’m going to start tomorrow.

Coincidentally, and for no particular reason this morning, I cut my loading time roughly in half because... Well... Because I thought I probably could. I've never loaded my brush anywhere near thirty-seconds, much less sixty (all kidding aside, is that really a thing?) but today I did about five seconds and got through three passes, did some touch up and had just a smidgen of lather left over. This is using my standard combination of Stirling soap and a Simpson T3.
In a lot of cases

"Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls."

You'll read "load it like you hate it" all over the forums.

In a lot of cases

"Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls."

You'll read "load it like you hate it" all over the forums.
Well that clears up what, "load it like you hate it" means. Thank you for that. Being somewhat new to wet shaving maybe I'm doing this all wrong but... That seems a little excessive based on my admittedly limited experience.

Sorry for all the questions but do some soaps perhaps require this sort of brush induced brutality to get a decent lather? I'm still in the learning phase and I'm feeling some key point is going over my head in this discussion, that I'm just not understanding something.

Well that clears up what, "load it like you hate it" means. Thank you for that. Being somewhat new to wet shaving maybe I'm doing this all wrong but... That seems a little excessive based on my admittedly limited experience.

Sorry for all the questions but do some soaps perhaps require this sort of brush induced brutality to get a decent lather? I'm still in the learning phase and I'm feeling some key point is going over my head in this discussion, that I'm just not understanding something.
Can you clarify what you mean by brush induced brutality? Load time?

Top Bottom