What's new

'True' Barbershop scents (like clubman) ?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you're a big fan of Pinaud Clubman, you may want to check out PAA Club Guy...their knock-off of Pinaud Clubman. Word of caution... it's mentholated.

If you're a big fan of Pinaud Clubman, you may want to check out PAA Club Guy...their knock-off of Pinaud Clubman. Word of caution... it's mentholated.
That's what I was going to suggest, although it might be missing a bit of that powdery note that's so prominent in Clubman.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
That's what I was going to suggest, although it might be missing a bit of that powdery note that's so prominent in Clubman.

I agree. It's a bit more crisp... especially with the menthol. It's not bad though.

I find the powdery fougeres like Clubman very barbershop, but also subscribe to the notion that lilac scented aftershaves are pure American barbershop. Been particularly fond of Pinaud Lilac Vegetal and lately delving into Master Lilac Vegetal, both of which are excellent classic barbershop scents.

I find the powdery fougeres like Clubman very barbershop, but also subscribe to the notion that lilac scented aftershaves are pure American barbershop. Been particularly fond of Pinaud Lilac Vegetal and lately delving into Master Lilac Vegetal, both of which are excellent classic barbershop scents.
I really like Humphreys Lilac witch hazel and Mystic Water Lilac soap, but I was NOT chosen.

Clubman is definitely my go-to when I want that classic "old man" scent. Reminds me of my grandpa. Lately I've been enjoying BarrBarr from Noble Otter. Soap and AS splash have some of the same oakmoss and powdery elements as clubman, but with a hint of sage for that southwest vibe. Very nice.

i don't want to hear anything about seville being a 'barbershop' scent. it is not...seville is a fruity powdery citrus.

i also don't want to hear anything about PAA CAD being barbershop....its a barbasol clone and barbasol is not a true barbershop scent to me.

i'm looking for scents with that 'clubman' style note which in my opinion is the definitive barbershop aroma. i have pinaud clubman original, but its a bit too overpowering....looking for something that tones it down just a little and is a bit more well rounded (complimented with notes like tobacco , leather, talc, musk).
Out of curiosity xir, how did you happen upon your definition of “barbershop”? What reminds you of a barbershop in your village may be quite different than someone from Japan, England, America, Europe, or India may have in mind with regards to a “barbershop” scent.
As far as I’m aware there is no regulatory body or consortium that states what scents can be included in a “barbershop” and what notes are forbidden.
If you’d like other scents that are similar you can always ask for that specifically without putting down scents that many other gentleman enjoy.

Having grown up in a family that owned and ran a barbershop for 50 years, I can tell you that what one ran into inside was the smell of hair tonic (vitalis), pomades such as Brylcreem, bay rum, clubman in its various scents, lime, and the smell of shaving soap. Usually that smell was very close to Williams.

Having grown up in a family that owned and ran a barbershop for 50 years, I can tell you that what one ran into inside was the smell of hair tonic (vitalis), pomades such as Brylcreem, bay rum, clubman in its various scents, lime, and the smell of shaving soap. Usually that smell was very close to Williams.

You are talking about a single barbershop in your home town. There are millions of barbershops around the world and each of them will use their own collection of products and emit their own aroma. Thus, what is a barbershop scent to you might not be the same to someone who lives 10,000 miles away.

You are talking about a single barbershop in your home town. There are millions of barbershops around the world and each of them will use their own collection of products and emit their own aroma. Thus, what is a barbershop scent to you might not be the same to someone who lives 10,000 miles away.
Good lord, I was not trying to start a debate. I was simply giving an example of a U.S. barbershop from the 20th into the 21st century. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. And thank you for point things out. I would have never known there were barbershops all over the world and other products emit their own aroma. You intellect knows no bounds and I am humbled.

When I went to an old school barbershop with old men barbers as a kid in the early 80s in Texas, it smelled like Pashana. Yuck.

Good lord, I was not trying to start a debate. I was simply giving an example of a U.S. barbershop from the 20th into the 21st century. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. And thank you for point things out. I would have never known there were barbershops all over the world and other products emit their own aroma. You intellect knows no bounds and I am humbled.

I have no hurt feelings. I was just trying to note why there is zero consensus on what represent a barbershop scent. Every culture has its own preferences for scents.

Pinaud Clubman is it for me. The local barber shop I went to as a kid had the talc and the AS.
When my barber was done cutting my hair, he'd splash a little Clubman on the back of my neck and I felt like a king :)

Top Bottom