What's new

The key to a nice shave is through an one pass shave...

I know that many love BBS, CCS, or any other acronym.

However till I started to go for one pass shave I have been very content with the result and I don't chase BBS anymore.

One more thing that I discovered is that you will appreciate your razors more.

Give it a try to the one pass shave style for a week. You might enjoy it more than you thought before.

Another advantage is the one pass shave eliminates the concern of having enough lather for a second or third pass. I think I may give this a go as something new to try since I'm not being seen in public this week anyway.

I know that many love BBS, CCS, or any other acronym.

However till I started to go for one pass shave I have been very content with the result and I don't chase BBS anymore.

One more thing that I discovered is that you will appreciate your razors more.

Give it a try to the one pass shave style for a week. You might enjoy it more than you thought before.
I agree. I am generally a one pass shaver, though sometimes I will do a 2 pass just for kicks. I get a great shave, no irritation and for the most part it is a perfectly acceptable shave -- looks and feels great.

Reactions: bjm
I’ve found that a good one pass shave works best for me with a moderately aggressive razor. And it takes a few days of doing it to reach optimal results by shaving with the grain only and for me, that means really following the grain pattern. The first day it might be just a decent shave, but after a few, the shaves get a little closer just with that one with the grain pass. I still prefer the second across the grain pass which is what I normally do.

I enjoy the whole shaving process. From selecting a razor/blade combo, to picking out a brush for the day, to building lather with the day's soap. And finally, the shave itself and admiring the fruits of my labor.

I shave every day even though I could skip a day between shaves and still be presentable by my standards. Truth be told the past few months or so have been spent trying new razors, breaking in boar brushes, and working through soaps as opposed to concerning myself with being clean shaven. I can still do all of that with one pass.

It will be interesting to see if my technique has improved to the point where I can get a "good enough" shave with just one pass. Challenge accepted. The tough part for me will be not automatically reaching for the brush after that first pass.

We're not supposed to touch our face these days, so who would know?

Better technique will improve the shave while doing a 1 pass

sorry but I realy enjoy the multi pass shave the building of the lather on my face and the light massage it gives my face whilst i'm applying the lather is one of the best parts of the day . if you want a one pass shave you may aswell go back to carts and tinned goop on your face . just my view

Carts and tin you say, lurchbrian. I have been wet shaving exclusively since 2009, and find that a one pass shave with buffing is optimal. My swirling and flat growth pattern just leads to ingrown with 3 passes.

sorry but I realy enjoy the multi pass shave the building of the lather on my face and the light massage it gives my face whilst i'm applying the lather is one of the best parts of the day . if you want a one pass shave you may aswell go back to carts and tinned goop on your face . just my view
No worries.

If nothing else, this is one way to evaluate the efficiency of one's chosen razor/blade combo. Almost anyone can achieve a DFS in three or more passes, but how close and comfortable can one get with only one.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I always shave every day (and I'm retired).

If my wife left town for a week I could do one pass shaves. I've occasionally tried a one pass shave and it looks pretty OK for most of the day. I could definitely go to work and look presentable.

But I like to encourage my wife to kiss me. The one pass shave doesn't really do that. On lazy days I do a 2 pass shave. That's a considerable improvement.

But the only way I get a BBS is with a 3 pass shave. Do to an unfortunate childhood, I was raised to believe that a job worth doing is worth doing well.

I have no problem with how anyone else shaves - I promise I will not be kissing any of you, or even rubbing your faces. But my wife deserves better.

This is a heresy. The whole point of a multi-pass shave is to do as little damage to the face as possible. Single pass shaves encourage the use of too much pressure trying to get a decent shave causing excessive exfoliation. Multi-pass shaving encourages the use of very light to almost no pressure for minimal exfoliation. Next, the single pass shave results in a hair shaft having an oblique pointed tip on one side-an invitation to ingrown hairs. A multi-pass shave rounds off the tip of the hair and moves any "pointyness" back towards the center of the shaft thereby avoiding in grown hairs. Finally, a multi-pass shave lasts two days (three if you are using a SR) so your face gets a chance to heal fully.

For all these reasons an every other day multi-pass shave is far superior to a daily single pass shave. I suppose in theory a daily single pass shave would be OK if your beard is light and you have tough skin. That isn't most of us here.

Top Bottom