What's new

What is the purpose of a Slant Head?

What is the principle behind a Slanted Head?

Does it actually produce the desired results?

Cheers,
Type1

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What is the principle behind a Slanted Head?

Some people say, "it cuts like a guillotine." I find that just a tiny bit unsettling when it's MY head it's being used on. Because I teach people how to use scythes, that's the metaphor I use. It cuts like a scythe.

Basic science: a non-slant razor generally gets used in a "chopping" way. That is to say the edge contacts the hair straight on, with no lateral vector. If the edge strikes the hair at an angle, there is a bit of a "slicing" component to the force vectors. Slicing tends to cut things with less effort and more cleanly. Slicing can also make up for a less-than-perfect edge to some extent, which is why some people like slants: because they can bring out more in a mediocre blade, or make a good blade last even longer.

There are several ways to present the edge at an angle. One way is to simply turn a regular razor a few degrees or to shave at a slight angle. This is called the "Gillette Slide" or the "Gem Slide" depending on the razor.

Another way is to mount a regular head on a regular handle at an angle. This is called a "tilted" slant because the entire head has been tipped to one side. You can easily identify tilted slants because the bars or combs on the head are both tilted the same direction when you look at the head from one side.

The third way is to create a special razor head that not only curves the blade as the cap tightens down, but also induces a torque around the blade's long axis. The extra bit of twisting also makes the blade even stiffer. These are called "torqued" or "helical" slants and are easily identifiable because the bars or combs make an "X" pattern when viewed from the side.

Does it actually produce the desired results?

Oh, yeah. But of course, YMMV. There are very mild slants (one hears the Parker Semi-Slant is one), there are traditional designs in vintage (Merkur 37 or 39, Hoffritz, and several others), and there are more aggressive slants (such as the RazoRock Wunderbar).

It's a pretty cool subset of the hobby. There are affordable razors to be had, both new and vintage. I encourage you to check it out.

O.H.

It's supposed to work like a guillotine, cutting the hairs more efficiently. As an analogy, a knife cutting in a slant motion will cut better than straight down.

Some slants are very efficient, some aren't - you pays your money and you takes your chances. I have slants that are excellent and I've tried more than a few that aren't so hot (Merkur/Hoffritz/Cole/Pomco, I'm talking about you), at least for me. Just because it's got a slant head doesn't mean it's a superior shaver.

The Hoffritz, Cole, and Pomco razors are all re-badged Merkurs, so if you try one and it doesn't work for you, chances are the others won't either. Likewise if one works well they all should.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Some slants are very efficient, some aren't ... (Merkur/Hoffritz/Cole/Pomco, I'm talking about you), at least for me.

Those Merkurs are precisely the models that I find work the best. There are some more modern and less slanted varieties I find worthless -- truly a YMMV situation!

I use the Gillette slide daily and I own a RR German 37.
Both work. And for the same reason in that they produce a slicing cut. Both were experiments that worked for me and I still use both.

Thank you for the replies guys, very helpful.

I’m considering the iKon 102 Slant.
Does anyone have experience with this razor?

I discovered slants very early one and the result was, I gave away all of my straight bar razors save one that will go to my son. My first one was a Merkur 37c. I have since purchased the Parker Semi Slant and a Maggard slant head. Once it's available, I may even add the Fatip Slant to my den. An Ikon head is on my list right now but that is subject to change at any moment.

I find them to be so much better IMO than straight bar razors. The technique is no different from using a standard DE so the learning curve is minimal. Each one I have performs only slightly different from each other but all deliver excellent results. any straight bar I tried always gave me slight irritation on my neck but this went away once I started using a slant. The cutting action seems to reduce irritation and shaving bumps over the straight on chopping of a standard DE.

I would, without hesitation, recommend the Parker for anyone just getting started. It is mild but provides a very smooth and efficient BBS shave daily for me. It is the only one that works just as well on my head as it does on my face. It has also worked excellently with any blade I have put in it, providing at least 10 great shaves per blade. It also has a fairly narrow area of attack (shave angle) as well which aids a beginning in getting the correct angle.

The Maggard is proving to be similar in blade selection as well. It is a little more efficient (aggressive) than the Parker but it is just as smooth and irritation free. It has a more narrow area of attack then the Parker so requires much better technique to achieve the desired results.

My first slant was the Merkur 37c. It is the most efficient (aggressive) of them all and the most finicky when it comes to blades. Anything from Mogelamash (Rapira Russia) seems to work very well in it and in each of the others as well. I would only recommend it for an experienced shaver. The Merkur has a fairly large angle of attack which can allow for a small change in aggression depending on whether you ride the cap or the bar. It can and will bite you if you get careless.

I will never shave with anything but a slant from here on out and would highly recommend anyone at least try one.

FWIW the blades I used are:

The best ones (at least 10 shaves per blade)
Astra SP
Personna Comfort Coated
Nacet
Voskhod
Ladas
Rapira Platinum Lux
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Derby Premium
----------------------------
Derby Extra-(3-5 shaves per blade)
----------------------------
And the two worst ones:
Parker Swedish Steel
Battle Bros.

It’s YMMV. I’ve always thought they were a convoluted solution to a nonexistent problem. They were popular in Europe for a short while but faded pretty quickly.

Try one and see if it works. The Merkur is the gold standard since it’s design has been around for decades and is pretty easy to load without fiddling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a Hoffritz slant and use it often as part of my small rotation. I cannot say the end result is any better than a straight bar razor but I like the variety. I do get confused and have to stop and think for a while before I try to level off my sideburns. After many uses I am still not sure exactly what I am doing at that point. :)

Thank you for the replies guys, very helpful.

I've used a 102 in rotation with other razors for a few years. For me, it's quite efficient but not aggressive. It may even work a little faster than other razors with the same (subjective) aggressiveness. The only downside has nothing to do with the slant: The head is big. So getting into tight spots around my ears and nose is a task. On the other hand, blade changes are easier, because the head covers the tabs, and there are nice indentations on the sides. The price is right too.

Unless you prefer a much more aggressive razor, the 102 is excellent.

I just caught the slant bug. I can say nothing else about them besides the fact that they look cool. Im still learning how to use them properly.
Some eye candy.. The S6, 102 and X3..

20200210_204449.jpg

Not to trigger your SRAD but just a heads up the Ikon site says they are getting low on the 102. I only mention it because i purchased one last week and after mine shipped they added a message saying something like 'last of these'. Also if you buy one from Ikon direct purchase the head and handle separately. For some reason the cost of buying them separate is way less then purchasing a full razor. You'll see what i mean if you check out the site..last i looked anyway.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I decided it was time for little jaunt through slant-space. So I bulked up the bench strength a little.

Here's the slant herd at Casa Hippie at the moment:

IMG_0358.JPG

Top to bottom:

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Oxblood Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic
Above the Tie S2/Kronos Handle
RazoRock Wunderbar/Radio Knob Handle
Parker Semi-Slant/Rose Gold
iKon X3/Bulldog Handle

There's also a Merkur 37, but it's on the way. I've used the first two, the others are as-yet untried. While the Alpha Ecliptic is included for the sake of completeness I won't actually use it in this adventure -- it's a tilted slant and really doesn't shave any different than any other plastic razor. (My guess is that the iKon 102 is also a tilted slant.)

I tend to prefer helical slants so that's where I'm going. I'll give each one two weeks (1 blade/6 shaves) and post the reports over in the Brotherhood of Slant Shavers. By the time I've done 10 weeks -- including the Merkur 37 -- of slant shaves, we'll be into spring and I can take on the next project after that.

I'll start that on Monday. Today I was in sprucing up the Shave Cave and cleaning the razors I had "in rotation" which is really to say that I hadn't put them away properly. [shrug] I always have about five books going at any one time; I had three different formats of razor out, with blades, that I finally cleaned and cleared away today.

O.H.

Top Bottom