What's new

Artisan's Vs traditional

Interesting fact: Drying agents and dry environment causes the skin to overcompensate in creating oils (sebum) to lock in moisture. The solution is to moisturize it! Doesn't have to be with shave soap, tons of face care products out there. I'd recommend you Nivea Soft with Jojoba oil. ;)

I’ll check that out. Today, though, I used Proraso white and the white post shave balm and now I’m sitting here with an oil pocket on my cheek. I used minimal balm and still ended up too oily and with an issue I don’t normally have. I also shaved Sunday morning before bed as I normally do. So nothing was different other than adding a post shave balm.

I think I’ll leave it out until the bitter cold of winter and then just use it before I come to work as it seems to help stave off cold chapping.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I’ll check that out. Today, though, I used Proraso white and the white post shave balm and now I’m sitting here with an oil pocket on my cheek. I used minimal balm and still ended up too oily and with an issue I don’t normally have. I also shaved Sunday morning before bed as I normally do. So nothing was different other than adding a post shave balm.

Instead of aftershave balm try a light moisturizer, like Nivea Men or Soft.

I will give it a try after the sabbatical is over.
Thanks for the advice as well.

Also I should point out that not all balms are the same. My skin may like something your skin doesn't. Many love the iconic Nivea Sensitive balm, but I find it too sticky and not very absorbent. I bought the cheapest balm on the shelves I could find, just to have it in the bathroom after a rough shave, thinking I wont use it regularly. Oh man that stuff works goood for my face. Third of the price of the Nivea, plastic bottle, generic unknown brand, yet results. Just a happy coincidence.

EDIT: Afrodita - Slovenian cosmetics brand. I wasn't expecting anything great but this stuff is really good.

Last edited:
I don’t like anything greasy feeling at all. My wife makes fun of me because I won’t even use lotion on my hands or anything even when I need to. Lol. I try to explain to her that I have done machining and maintenance my whole life and spend enough time with greasy oily hands. [emoji23]

Anything would need to be light and very quickly absorbed to avoid that feeling on my face and head.

During my normal routine, my skin may be a little tight and dry after my witch hazel, but using AS or just waiting about an hour, it is very soft and smooth.

My witch hazels are infused with EO’s of my own scent profiles to compliment my soap and after shave profiles. I have 3 version that pretty much cover everything in my den scentwise.

Witch Hazel, alum and alcoholic AS are all astringents. If you use more than one of those it might be stripping too much oils from the skin, causing it to over-compensate. Using less astringents could be better than adding balms and moisturizers.

Witch Hazel, alum and alcoholic AS are all astringents. If you use more than one of those it might be stripping too much oils from the skin, causing it to over-compensate. Using less astringents could be better than adding balms and moisturizers.

That I will keep in mind. I generally don’t use AS the three days a week I work, only witch hazel. The other 4 days I do tend to use both but I shave in the mornings and use witch hazel before bed. I usually don’t do AS or EDT/EDC until I get up in the afternoons. Is it still too much then?

That I will keep in mind. I generally don’t use AS the three days a week I work, only witch hazel. The other 4 days I do tend to use both but I shave in the mornings and use witch hazel before bed. I usually don’t do AS or EDT/EDC until I get up in the afternoons. Is it still too much then?

Doesn't seem excessive at all, but your skin might not like it. If you use EDC/EDT only for the fragrance, you can simply apply it elsewhere and not on the face. Experiment and you'll eventually find out the balance to your routine.

Doesn't seem excessive at all, but your skin might not like it. If you use EDC/EDT only for the fragrance, you can simply apply it elsewhere and not on the face. Experiment and you'll eventually find out the balance to your routine.

I hadn’t really thought about that. You always have such great information and don’t mind sharing it. I greatly appreciate that.

The classics are far from "dead". I suspect you enjoy spending big money on the latest fancy artisan releases. Arko, Palmolive, Proraso work great without breaking the bank. You don't have to spend tons to get a great shave.

@naughtilus

I won a PIF andI had my first shave this morning with MdC. All I can say is, I get it. Once I got the lather right, it provided an excellent shave. Excellent cushion, slickness and beautiful, thick lather. I even dusted off my scuttle to lather it with. I will try face lathering and puck loading tomorrow. It is a lot different lather than all of my tallow soaps and my glycerin soaps. The post shave was definitely not drying like most of my other soaps which I usually prefer. I will see how my face and head are when I get up this afternoon. I plan to use it for at least 2 weeks to get a really good feel for it and form my opinion on whether it is worth the price to me and what effect repeated use will have on my skin. I can say that, based on my first shave, I am leaning towards it being worth it.

proxy.php

@naughtilus

I won a PIF andI had my first shave this morning with MdC. All I can say is, I get it. Once I got the lather right, it provided an excellent shave. Excellent cushion, slickness and beautiful, thick lather. I even dusted off my scuttle to lather it with. I will try face lathering and puck loading tomorrow. It is a lot different lather than all of my tallow soaps and my glycerin soaps. The post shave was definitely not drying like most of my other soaps which I usually prefer. I will see how my face and head are when I get up this afternoon. I plan to use it for at least 2 weeks to get a really good feel for it and form my opinion on whether it is worth the price to me and what effect repeated use will have on my skin. I can say that, based on my first shave, I am leaning towards it being worth it.

proxy.php

Sweet score! Enjoy the shaves.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

You may want to try Thayer's unscented WH with aloe.

+1! Fortunately, we have lots of room for traditional classics and artisan soaps and products!! :a29:

The more the merrier IMHO!! Let the market decide!
This. Love all my soaps. However, if someone put a gun to my head and told me to pick one, it would be Williams. Why? It works and it goes with any post shaved product.

After 47 years I guess my time is up!? :001_07:
Nope. I've hoarded several cakes of your glycerin goodness. Just wish your aftershaves were sold in the PX so I can get a hold of them. They only sell Aqua Velva and Williams Lectric. I did see Old Spice, Gillette Cool Wave, and AAFES Brisk once in the bigger deployed PXes at the bigger bases. However, nothing about my work says "bigger base".

This. Love all my soaps. However, if someone put a gun to my head and told me to pick one, it would be Williams. Why? It works and it goes with any post shaved product.

Nope. I've hoarded several cakes of your glycerin goodness. Just wish your aftershaves were sold in the PX so I can get a hold of them. They only sell Aqua Velva and Williams Lectric. I did see Old Spice, Gillette Cool Wave, and AAFES Brisk once in the bigger deployed PXes at the bigger bases. However, nothing about my work says "bigger base".
I can ship to APO's.... :302:

Top Bottom