What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ok, I may be in the minority but I don't like the polished brass Karve at all.
(Good job by the OP though!)

I really love the darkening on my Karve. I give it a quick wipe after use to prevent water spots but I definitely want the continuous darkening.

Graydog

Biblical Innards

I really love the darkening on my Karve. I give it a quick wipe after use to prevent water spots but I definitely want the continuous darkening.

Originally I was doing the same thing you are,
I wanted it to be dark patina but it all started with my matte finish Timeless Ti and several post here on B&B about the New finish that Timeless was offering on their Titanium Razors
and that many believed that the shiny smooth surface would make it glide easier over your face. Then I was reading how @Hanna's Dad
Shined his Timeless Ti because he likes the look of a shiny smooth Razor. He did a great job and posted some pictures and that was all it took. When I was done with the Titanium and really liked the look I hung it up in my razor cabinet right next to the 2 Karve Brass Razors that I have and thought Why not, I have 2 and I could see what it would be like with one of the Karves. When I was done with the first one I was so happy with the results that I just had to
Polish the second one. I am really glad that I did. Does it glide easier across my face?
Maybe a little ,but I really love the look. :)

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So I had a polishing disc for my Dremel after all. Sadly, I find out that if you don't pay attention you can easily knock your razor with the metal rod. Now I have a nice, deep scratch on my cap. I might try rubbing it against my straight razor hone to polish it off. Ugh.
Be careful the razor head has a curve and the home is ment to make things Flat and straight
and is a hard surface . The fix might make it a Flat spot on the head in place of the scratch.
You might be better getting some really fine sandpaper that will contour to the shape of the head. If you go that way make sure you wet sand it with water running and keep it wet.
Can you post a picture ?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190831134545398_COVER.jpg

Originally I was doing the same thing you are,
I wanted it to be dark patina but it all started with my matte finish Timeless Ti and several post here on B&B about the New finish that Timeless was offering on their Titanium Razors
and that many believed that the shiny smooth surface would make it glide easier over your face. Then I was reading how @Hanna's Dad
Shined his Timeless Ti because he likes the look of a shiny smooth Razor. He did a great job and posted some pictures and that was all it took. When I was done with the Titanium and really liked the look I hung it up in my razor cabinet right next to the 2 Karve Brass Razors that I have and thought Why not, I have 2 and I could see what it would be like with one of the Karves. When I was done with the first one I was so happy with the results that I just had to
Polish the second one. I am really glad that I did. Does it glide easier across my face?
Maybe a little ,but I really love the look. :)

Fantastic! Seems you are a fan of shiny razors.

I like matte everything. I love the looks of my Karve brass and Rockwell 6S as both are matte finish.

I like the SS Karve too but haven't bought one as I'm happier with the fact the brass Karve will age with me :)

I realized right away that I screwed up.
The cap is flat on the top. I didn't notice any wobble when I placed it on the counter. I might try to hone it away, or I might just leave we'll enough alone.
proxy.php

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The cap is flat on the top. I didn't notice any wobble when I placed it on the counter. I might try to hone it away, or I might just leave we'll enough alone.
proxy.php
ouch
that's something i would do
Pretty much ends my search for the polishing attachment.
although that gleaming razor looks nice

Graydog

Biblical Innards
proxy.php

It won't have any effect on the Shave what ever you decide to do.
You could try and contact Sean at Blackland
Just to see what he says.

Blackland also use 303 SS for their razors, same as Tatara, Timeless use 304 SS, Charcoal Goods use both 303 and 316 SS, Carbon Shaving use 316L, like Wolfman, etc, etc
I’m no expert, but from what I’ve read I get the impression that most of us will be long gone before any of our razors will have any corrosion from normal use, regardless of which stainless steel they’re made of...
Unless one shaves underwater in the ocean on a regular basis... in which case yes, it sounds like 316L is the best...

Last edited:
@DSR +1

In general...
303 machines well
304 welds well
316 resists chlorides well (salt water), work hardens during machining, but polishes well

Baring ridiculous abuse or neglect, 303 will last for generations. Not that nickel plated brass hasn't.

316 stainless is the best. But 303 is still very good stuff.

How do you define the “best”? Corrosion resistance? Ok, maybe it’s the best if that’s how you define it. I don’t shave with saltwater, so 303 should hold up just fine for me.

I also like the darkening. The question for me is which darkening do I prefer ? The existing one I have on my bead blasted razor, or smooth out the head with the polish and wait for that type of darkening?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

For me the “Best” is what shaves my face without irritation and leaves me smooth enough for my wife The level of SS will outlast me for sure no matter which number it has

@DSR +1

In general...
303 machines well
304 welds well
316 resists chlorides well (salt water), work hardens during machining, but polishes well

Baring ridiculous abuse or neglect, 303 will last for generations. Not that nickel plated brass hasn't.
I have kitchen implements of 303 steel that have survived 25 or 30 years of hard, constant use and abuse with only slight wear, scratching and staining, and are still completely functional. Of course, keeping them clean and dry is important. Rivets and welds can fail if poorly done, but I doubt the 303 steel is to blame for that.

Top Bottom