What's new

Backups: yes or no?

It is no secret that most of us have favorite products that we'd hate to see them going discontinued. I'm not talking about the newbies that all products seem to be excellent for them and instantly become "new" favorites. I'm mainly talking about those who have a relative experience, have tested a lot of products and after some time found those that work best for them.

I have a large stock of products I enjoy. For example, I have around 50 shaving sticks, 3 Rockwell 6s, a couple of Wolfies, around 2000 blades, a few NIB brushes etc.

How do you feel about having backups? Do you think it makes sense or no? Also, if you do have a stock, how large is it?

It is no secret that most of us have favorite products that we'd hate to see them going discontinued. I'm not talking about the newbies that all products seem to be excellent for them and instantly become "new" favorites. I'm mainly talking about those who have a relative experience, have tested a lot of products and after some time found those that work best for them.

Newbies should pay attention to this, a lot of wise advice given here. Do NOT buy backups if you've not yet gained sufficient experience using what's offered on the market.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I don’t have backups — there is simply so much quality hardware and software; to have backups feels like hoarding ‘to me.’

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don’t have too many back ups. I might go mad and buy some extras if I heard that someone was closing down but my only really bad Acquisition Disorder is RAD.

I have a large stock of products I enjoy. For example, I have around 50 shaving sticks, 3 Rockwell 6s, a couple of Wolfies, around 2000 blades, a few NIB brushes etc.

How do you feel about having backups? Do you think it makes sense or no? Also, if you do have a stock, how large is it?

I don't know that I have the experience you are looking for to answer, but I absolutely understand the blade backup / stash. In shaving, I think if Gillette were to get it's way and take us down, blade manufacturing would be the first thing to go.

Also I am happy and impressed to see your stash of Rockwell 6s razors. No matter what razor I try, I always seem to come back to my rockwell. It's just smooth, efficient and effortless. Now you have me wondering if I made an error only owning one (plus a backup 6c).

My problem with soaps is, I am very much scent-centric. If I love a soap so much, I would not only have to buy multiples, but also reduce my den, so I have a guarantee I'll use them before the scent is gone.

I do not see a need to have backups "just in case" a product is discontinued, etc. As some products are being discontinued, new and often better products are being introduced. Thus, my favorites today might not be my favorites of the future.

However, in the process of exploring new items to see what I like best, I have acquired enough shaving supplies to last the remainder of my life, even if I do not make another purchase in my lifetime. However, as new products are introduced, I enjoy evaluating them, so I suspect I will continue making purchases from time to time. I am currently waiting for delivery of my Karve Stainless Steel Open Comb razor. Although I get close, comfortable shaves with my current hardware and software, I always wonder if I am missing out on an even better shave.

No back-ups in my quite extensive collection of razors and brushes, since they should last for a very long time indeed, and if they don't then it's a good excuse to buy something different. A few types of blades and vintage soaps I do try to stock up on, because the whole point is they will get used up at some time.

Yes - I have two R41 heads. Means I can compare different handles and blades. And if one goes dull during a shave I can pick up the other. It's pretty much the only head I use.

I’m consolidating my soaps.
I’ve found what I like and will focus on those and working on my technique in year two of wet shaving.

Nah.

Main razor is SS, it’ll outlive me. #2 razor was a trade with a buddy and they’re like $40.

Have enough soap to last me a decade. Main brushes I have 3 I rotate, all easily accessible for the most part.

I’m good.

I have lots of back ups razors and blades, but new items will come up. I have 15 pucks of tabac... what if try something new and like it better???

I am always thinking is this the best???

Are you going to wear out 3 x 6s in your lifetime? What if 8s comes out???

I have stopped stock piling items.

The only real backups I have are Williams Mug Soap. A couple years back the rumor mill saying the Williams was to be discontinued got to me and now I have about 30 pucks of the stuff. It works well for me so it's just fine to have. Funny thing is that now I don't use it that much, found to many other great products.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t call them backups. I just call them shave supplies. I think “backup” implies that I don’t intended to use them unless absolutely necessary. Which isn’t the case.

I did have backups, but eventually I viewed some of them as duplicates. So I purged most of my similar brushes and many like razors. Now I simply have variety.

That being said, I have gone out and bought a few hundred of my favorite blades and an extra tub of my favorite soap as a backup.

I have lots of back ups razors and blades, but new items will come up. I have 15 pucks of tabac... what if try something new and like it better???

I am always thinking is this the best???

Are you going to wear out 3 x 6s in your lifetime? What if 8s comes out???

I have stopped stock piling items.
Not going to wear them out, but what if I lose one or the production stops? There were rumors that they will move production to China by the makers themselves. They will let us know when (Gareth's words). It's the razor I could use for the rest of my life and be happy. I feel safe with three of them and I don't really care if they cease production tomorrow morning. Of course, I would be sad for them, but my sadness wouldn't last long.

Blades I buy in 100 lots, usually two or three at a time for a price break. Otherwise, no backups.

I did pick up a couple spare Gillette Cool Wave splashes when it was rumored to be discontinued. Three years later it is still on the shelves in the stores, discontinued my donkey!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I used to buy backups for everything . . . until it became a wasteful obsession. Life is simpler now, save for a stash of a few hundred blades. But even the blades aren't really backups. Quantity pricing makes by-the-tuck purchasing uneconomical in the extreme.

Top Bottom