What's new

Revolver vs. Semi-auto

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I know...this is a tired old subject. But...I was messing with my 1911 a bit ago. I'm starting to have a little trouble racking the slide with the heavy recoil spring I have in it for use with the stout loads I load it with.

I have a Wolff recoil spring tuning pack that the one that's in it came from, and I'm thinking about using a little lighter one and adjusting my loads for it.

Until then I'll just use one of my revolvers...don't have to do anything to them. They work no matter what.

And yeah Rob...I have a Glock but I don't shoot that wide butted thing as well.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I never saw any real advantage in hot rodding a .45 ACP, just beats up the gun and/or makes it harder to shoot fast and accurately. Of course I had to try it once, went back to standard hardball loads and the factory weight spring. Played a bit with lighter loads and spring weights, went back to standard loads and springs. Reminds me I haven't shot my 1911s in a while, after I finish fooling with the SIG P365, maybe even before, I need to crank out some .45 ammo and take the old warhorse to the range soon!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Revolvers do simplify things ... noticed I have a brick of .22 shorts, they'll go downrange fine in that H&R I've been meaning to shoot. All ammo does!

1911. I don't want to carry that anymore. Too much metal and too heavy; polymer pistols have made me lazy/spoiled.

I'll always be shooting something with a .452 bore, but they might be range guns.

AA

I've always kept my 1911's stock, use 230gr FMJ and JHP ammo that's reliable for that pistol. Carry Lightweight CCO in Milt Sparks gear, Gold Dot JHP.

My Glock 19 is like a revolver, ALWAYS goes bang... but with sixteen rounds. I've thought about returning to revolvers but what the heck? The semi autos do the trick. YMMV. Good luck!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I know...this is a tired old subject. But...I was messing with my 1911 a bit ago. I'm starting to have a little trouble racking the slide with the heavy recoil spring I have in it for use with the stout loads I load it with.

I have a Wolff recoil spring tuning pack that the one that's in it came from, and I'm thinking about using a little lighter one and adjusting my loads for it.

Until then I'll just use one of my revolvers...don't have to do anything to them. They work no matter what.

And yeah Rob...I have a Glock but I don't shoot that wide butted thing as well.

I believe this video Mike, shows you can still learn to shoot your Glock quite well. We just have to make sure, that you get plenty of positive reinforcement snacks!

:)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I believe this video Mike, shows you can still learn to shoot your Glock quite well. We just have to make sure, that you get plenty of positive reinforcement snacks!

:)

If you'll bring the BBQ and beer for afterward I'll give it a shot. :biggrin1:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The nearest gym is an hour drive, round trip, for just a 30 minute workout. I have a baseball pitch back net to give me a little cardio, and was looking at mountain bikes that I could ride out here...there is no pavement area to ride on as the road has no shoulders and semi-truck traffic goes by quit a bit. No way. I could start doing the little calisthenics we used to do in grade school gym class. I've been working the slide on the 1911 for a few days and it's getting easier.

Wheaties may be a good idea, but I'm more of a steak and eggs kinda guy.

proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You could just go back to a standard weight spring and loads for your .45, just saying. Do you "slingshot" the slide, or use an overhand grip and push forward with the strong hand? The later works better for those with strength issues, particularly if you keep the elbow of your support hand against the rib cage and the hand using the overhand grip stationary and just push forward with the strong hand. Just be aware of the muzzle direction if using the latter technique, you may have to turn you body sideways a bit to maintain a safe muzzle direction at a public range.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You could just go back to a standard weight spring and loads for your .45, just saying. Do you "slingshot" the slide, or use an overhand grip and push forward with the strong hand? The later works better for those with strength issues, particularly if you keep the elbow of your support hand against the rib cage and the hand using the overhand grip stationary and just push forward with the strong hand. Just be aware of the muzzle direction if using the latter technique, you may have to turn you body sideways a bit to maintain a safe muzzle direction at a public range.

I did find the original recoil spring and guide rod, but I have a full length guide rod that Wilson put in it and I think I'll just keep that. I've tried every way there is to rack the slide except hook the sight on something to rack it one handed.

I seem to get better leverage with the overhand grip. Grab the top in front of the rear sight, trying to keep my hand from being over the ejection port, then push-pull. That rear sight is sharp...if the Bomar sight wasn't such an classic and no longer in production I'd have the edges rounded. As you know, the slingshot is the worst.

I'll just wait until the Wolff recoil spring tuning kit gets here (I still can't find the spring kit I have around here...somewhere) and see which one works the best on racking the slide, then try some standard hardball and see how it functions. I was getting stovepipes pretty regular with a lighter spring with the ammo I carry, so it will take a bit of trial and error to find the right spring/ammo combination again.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I went all the way down to the Wolff 18 1/2 lb. recoil spring. It is easier to rack. Function fired a mag. through it a bit ago with WWB 230 gr. hardball. Slow fire for the first couple of rounds, then rapid fired the rest of the mag. Flawless...worked every time, and I didn't run it wet.

It did throw a few empties straight up, but none hit me in the head. :biggrin1:

The extractor is not "clocking", and has good tension on it. I did use a mag. that hasn't been used in years. Couldn't find any of the brass even though the yard was mowed a few days ago...couldn't find any in the grass to look at. I've been thinking about sending it back to Wilson to have the ejection port lowered and flared.

DSC_0009 (2).JPG

I bought a stainless Officer's Model 1911 in the Spring of 1986 just after the Colt strike began that Jan. and lasted for four years. A bigger piece of crap I have never owned. It jammed when you looked at it. :rolleyes: Could not get through one mag of even hardball w/o a jam. Priced a tune up with Ed Brown and damn near fainted when he quoted me a price of what I paid for the gun initially!! I sold that lemon ASAP and bought a brand new handgun that just became available that year: the Glock G17. I have better things to do with my $$ than pay a custom gunsmith's car payment.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I bought a stainless Officer's Model 1911 in the Spring of 1986 just after the Colt strike began that Jan. and lasted for four years. A bigger piece of crap I have never owned. It jammed when you looked at it. :rolleyes: Could not get through one mag of even hardball w/o a jam. Priced a tune up with Ed Brown and damn near fainted when he quoted me a price of what I paid for the gun initially!! I sold that lemon ASAP and bought a brand new handgun that just became available that year: the Glock G17. I have better things to do with my $$ than pay a custom gunsmith's car payment.

As you said, you got it during a Colt strike...or maybe you have a wimp wrist.

If you'd have had Ed Brown work on it you'd have a precision work of art that would probably now be worth about twice what you had in it, instead of a common chunk of plastic.

"Wimp" wrist? I thought it was limp wrist. ;) I never suffered from that. Ed Brown wanted approx. $400 to fix it/smooth everything up and I paid a little less than $500 for the gun then. I think I made the right choice then. Glock has done far better than Colt has fared.

Top Bottom