What's new

Chiseled Face Cedar and Spice Review

I first tried Chiseled Face earlier this year when I bought Sherlock and Ghost Town Barber. My initial impression wasn't that great and I set them aside for several months. I recently blew off the dust and gave them another go. I was able to get the water ratio correct this time and got a great shave. While I wasn't a fan of the Ghost Town Barber scent at first, my nose seemed to really like it now, so much so that I ordered the aftershave. I still don't really care for the Sherlock scent.

I ordered Cedar and Spice recently and had my first shave today.
proxy.php

The initial scent is all cedar, and it is strong. After I lathered it up on my face it smelled just like I walked into a humidor at a cigar shop. I don't have a nose for the lesser scents, but that was the image that stuck with me and I really enjoyed that scent.

After face lathering
proxy.php

The quality of the lather was excellent. I was able to easily get three passes of slick lather that didn't dry my face out and left me with zero irritation. The scent is still strong thirty minutes later (a good thing).

This was a good purchase and I can see me getting the aftershave as well.

My wife is out of town, so I have no idea if that scent is appealing to the fairer sex. I'm guessing it's more for us than them. Sometimes I just gotta be a guy.

CF punches above its weight class if you ask me. I found the sample of cedar & spice to be fairly intense at the start but was left with a favorable impression.

The performance of Chiseled Face is pretty good. I do not rank it among my elite artisan soaps, but it is pretty close. It is certainly capable of giving a great shave.

A lot of CF scents are "interesting". I am not particularly fond of Sherlock, which to me smells like a bag of grass clippings. Ghost town Barber is OK, but there is a little to much stale cigarette smoke for my taste. I know scents are personal. I even met someone who likes Midnight Stag, a scent that smells like burning rubber to my nose.

At the Maggard meetup in June, I picked up a tub of Trade Winds and the new scent Italian Summer. Trade Winds is described as a nice aquatic scent with ocean, ozone, cucumber and a touch of mint backed up by a base of old spice. Italian Summer is a wonderful citrus scent with sicilian citrus, lavender, rosemary, Bulgarian rose, jasmine, amber, and light musk. I love both of these scents.

Nice review. I picked up samples of the whole line a few years ago, and I ended up buying soaps and aftershaves of most of them. CF scents are well done and the performance is solid. My favorites are Sherlock and Santa Paula. I have yet to try the new Italian Summer. Sounds great.

I've been quite happy with CF. Cedar & Spice is the strongest scent I have and one of my favorites. It has Patchouli in it which I do not like at all but I don't notice it in the scent profile. My wife has superhuman hearing and smelling systems so she picks up the Patchouli in it and gives her a headache.

Summer Storm is a nice scent too and I can't decide if I like the Santa Paula.

Top Bottom