What's new

Mixing English Fern bath soap with shaving soap?

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of cakes of English Fern bath soap. I am thinking of grating and mixing it with a good performing low scented shaving soap (La Toja stick for example).

How do you think this will work? Has anyone tried this sort of thing before? I am extremely impressed with the performance of La Toja soap - if I can make it smell like English Fern then that's about as perfect as I can imagine!

Thanks Guys!

easy enough to test with a sliver of each, then grate, mix and mash.
but you really have to finish off with EF cologne!
Let us know how it goes!

Interesting idea. I had the same notion this week. Only with Aqua di Parma bath soap.

I have used Haslinger to kick up a poor-performing shave soap before. However, the soap in question was heavily scented.

For AdP, I think I’d need an unscented soap.

In a similar vein, I used AdP lotion to make an aftershave with witch hazel and alcohol. It worked very well.

In a similar vein said:
Could you please tell your recipe for the aftershave (ratios etc)? I'd like to do that with some EF EDT and make an aftershave splash.

Many Thanks!

easy enough to test with a sliver of each, then grate, mix and mash.
but you really have to finish off with EF cologne!
Let us know how it goes!

When you say to finish off with EF cologne, do you mean to add some to the soap mix?

no soap mix!
simply the EF cologne spritz after the shave is great!!

penhaligon english fern plisson thiers issard la legende flowing thayer witch hazel april 3 2016.jpg

Could you please tell your recipe for the aftershave (ratios etc)? I'd like to do that with some EF EDT and make an aftershave splash.

Many Thanks!

I use Thayers Alcohol-free Unscented Witch Hazel Toner, which has aloe vera and glycerin already in it.
Ingredients
Ingredients: Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Certified Organic Filet Of Aloe Vera), Glycerin (Vegetable), Hamamelis Virginiana (made from Certified Organic Witch Hazel) Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract

Also Everclear grain alcohol.

Proably 3/4 witchazel and 1/4 alcohol as a base aftershave, then add whatever scent you want.

Let us know what you come up with and how it works. I’ve never tried adding EDT, but sounds like a good idea.

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of cakes of English Fern bath soap. I am thinking of grating and mixing it with a good performing low scented shaving soap (La Toja stick for example).

How do you think this will work? Has anyone tried this sort of thing before? I am extremely impressed with the performance of La Toja soap - if I can make it smell like English Fern then that's about as perfect as I can imagine!

Thanks Guys!
I don't see why not. I've used a bath bar (Caprina Fresh Goat's Milk Soap) by itself as a shaving soap, and it worked better than Proraso Green or Proraso White for me.
The only problem I could see is that the scent in some soap bars (like Pears Transparent Soap) may irritate your skin if you try to shave with it.

As far as mixing an aftershave with soap goes, check out this thread: The _____ Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
My experiment was with Williams Mug plus Brut, which I called "Brutus Vilius".

I use Thayers Alcohol-free Unscented Witch Hazel Toner, which has aloe vera and glycerin already in it.
Ingredients
Ingredients: Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Certified Organic Filet Of Aloe Vera), Glycerin (Vegetable), Hamamelis Virginiana (made from Certified Organic Witch Hazel) Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract

Also Everclear grain alcohol.

Proably 3/4 witchazel and 1/4 alcohol as a base aftershave, then add whatever scent you want.

Let us know what you come up with and how it works. I’ve never tried adding EDT, but sounds like a good idea.

Great thanks mr Houston! Time to start experimenting...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hi Everyone,

Thanks Guys!
Been there, done it...grated up the Penhaligon's EF bath soap and mixed with grated up Palmolive stick, worked fine.

I don't see why not. I've used a bath bar (Caprina Fresh Goat's Milk Soap) by itself as a shaving soap, and it worked better than Proraso Green or Proraso White for me.
The only problem I could see is that the scent in some soap bars (like Pears Transparent Soap) may irritate your skin if you try to shave with it.

As far as mixing an aftershave with soap goes, check out this thread: The _____ Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0

Very interesting (and fun!) thread, what a great idea!

I've done this to rescent vintage Williams, and Yardley Shaving soaps, works great.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Been there, done it...grated up the Penhaligon's EF bath soap and mixed with grated up Palmolive stick, worked fine.

Great! What ratio did you use? And what scent does the Palmolive stick have? Is it subdued? I have heard they are an excellent soap - to be honest I was deciding between the La Toja (which I use and like) and Palmolive (which I haven't tried) to mix with the EF...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Great! What ratio did you use? And what scent does the Palmolive stick have? Is it subdued? I have heard they are an excellent soap - to be honest I was deciding between the La Toja (which I use and like) and Palmolive (which I haven't tried) to mix with the EF...
This was years ago, but if I remember correctly, it was a half bar and a full stick of the palmolive.
As a matter of fact, I went the other day to my stash and found the other half of the bar, which is now in my shower....great soap. The original tallow based EF shaving soap is a superb soap and I am happy to have stashed away a couple pucks. Too bad the new formula is not as good anymore. But then, there are now a few excellent artisan soap makers that produce super products, Grooming Dept comes to mind.

Top Bottom