What's new

Japanese straight razor tips please

He does have a non folding Hoshi 8000. Only problem with the kamisori style razor I have is that I am always worried I will damage the edge. Never know where to keep them, how to transport them etc.
My girlfriend really liked the tanifuji razor. I know the modern style for straight is mainly non folding. They look nice to me at good prices. I would just assume they give an amazing shave. I know the Japanese shavette, like the feather ss etc are probably great razors as well. I don't know really just not that interested in anymore shavette razors at this time, as the one I have gets the job done. It's lightweight stainless steel, read somewhere on the forum from someone that heavier is better, I can't really remember why. Just not interested anyway!

You can't go wrong with Tanifuji.
I have two and they are superb shavers, take and hold a great edge.
This is my favourite of the two.
3doll1.jpg

I also have a Hoshi Tombo 8000, another great shaver.
HoshTom.jpg

There are plenty good Japanese razors to choose from and are not all super expensive.

You can't go wrong with Tanifuji.
I have two and they are superb shavers, take and hold a great edge.
This is my favourite of the two.
View attachment 981019
I also have a Hoshi Tombo 8000, another great shaver.
View attachment 981021

There are plenty good Japanese razors to choose from and are not all super expensive.
The cheapest I can see CAD for the style I'm looking for which I have no choice in the matter is $455 and that's just for the one in your second picture. We want one simular to the picture I put up. It has to be unique I guess. I am having difficulty seeing something that is close. I guess people don't want to sell this style very much. I would have been getting a really good deal on that tanifuji in my eyes. If I would have had the money. I think there are lots of NOS Japanese straight razors that catch my eye that I would buy now if it were my decision! As I do have money, some but not quite $500 dollars even for the tanifuji in your second picture you put up.

Just a clarification. The Hoshitombo isn't Tanifuji. It's a separate company.
If I remember correctly they had prisoners work for them and make razors. They are still running but don't use prisoners and don't make razors. I actually contacted them because of a question regarding straight razors but they responded that nobody from that era is employed anymore so they couldn't help me.

Just a clarification. The Hoshitombo isn't Tanifuji. It's a separate company.
If I remember correctly they had prisoners work for them and make razors. They are still running but don't use prisoners and don't make razors. I actually contacted them because of a question regarding straight razors but they responded that nobody from that era is employed anymore so they couldn't help me.
Ok, thanks

The cheapest I can see CAD for the style I'm looking for which I have no choice in the matter is $455 and that's just for the one in your second picture. We want one simular to the picture I put up. It has to be unique I guess. I am having difficulty seeing something that is close. I guess people don't want to sell this style very much. I would have been getting a really good deal on that tanifuji in my eyes. If I would have had the money. I think there are lots of NOS Japanese straight razors that catch my eye that I would buy now if it were my decision! As I do have money, some but not quite $500 dollars even for the tanifuji in your second picture you put up.
Hoshi Tombo was an expensive, for me, razor. But the Tanifuji from the first picture was less than a quarter of the price.
I'm from the UK and bought the Tanifuji from Japan. Even with import taxes and VAT added it was still around a quarter of the price of the Hoshi Tombo.

Just had a look on Ebay and can find quite a few Tanifuji razors, some at reasonable prices - from Japan.

Hoshi Tombo was an expensive, for me, razor. But the Tanifuji from the first picture was less than a quarter of the price.
I'm from the UK and bought the Tanifuji from Japan. Even with import taxes and VAT added it was still around a quarter of the price of the Hoshi Tombo.

Just had a look on Ebay and can find quite a few Tanifuji razors, some at reasonable prices - from Japan.
Reasonable, I am going to wait it out till something I will be happy with for years to come. Just have to think that way!

Top Bottom